• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-02-02]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steroid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Aevin wrote:
In my opinion, a real fan would see the movie to support the franchise and then complain about how it ruined the story (if that is that fan's opinion). For example, I'm a Star Trek fan, and I'll (pay to) see anything new that the franchise produces, no matter how it mucks up the story/timeline (although a repeat viewing would be questionable). I simply appreciate that people still care about it, and I'm willing to support their efforts because I still care about it, too.

Oh, I quite agree. Once the damned thing has actually been produced, a fan should probably see it so he knows the score. This is the problem with the "if you hate sequels, don't go see them."

Quote:
You very rarely do, mostly because it costs a fair amount of money to support oneself in the environment which best fosters one's creativity and imagination. You will see inexpensive art - paintings, books, items which one can create with minimal cost - for sale, but what you're not going to see is inexpensive art which costs a lot to produce (e.g. anime, motion pictures, etc.). So to answer your question again, you'll only find that sort of art where the production costs are low; we need enough money to survive each day, after all. Strictly moral support doesn't cut it.

But we're living at a time of great prosperity that grows ever more as time passes. Economic ventures designed to make money fail all the time and millions are lost. But what is our wealth for if not to make us happy? Would it be so wrong to make an intentional economic failure in the hopes of having artistic success?
Quote:
"Those of us who seek the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow should feel mistreated when we find it doesn't exist." Come on... If you start on a fool's errand, your only hope is to wake up, realize your quest was for the fictional, and make something of your life.

Which is tantamount to conceding the argument and admitting that our fandom was a fleeting thing, that had no real meaning. Whatever I choose to do with my life as a practical matter, I still hold that it is my birthright to get whatever I want.
Quote:
Steroid wrote:

For those who do not care about the work and offer no devotion are given that which satisfies them, but those who do are denied it.

Are you referring to artists who are doing their work just for the money? Or fans that only buy what they like? Something else? Whichever way, there are plenty of examples to contradict that bitter statement.

I'm referring to the sort of fan who has no passion for what he sees, and so is unmoved when bad sequels or adaptations come out. They will be fans of anything, and have no particular standard. Therefore, nothing can hurt them. Those of us who are passionate can be and are hurt when our golden calfs are toppled. Practically, this suggests that passion is the moral inferior to indifference. I hold the opposite view, because passion is a greater deviation from the norm.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:

I'm referring to the sort of fan who has no passion for what he sees, and so is unmoved when bad sequels or adaptations come out. They will be fans of anything, and have no particular standard. Therefore, nothing can hurt them. Those of us who are passionate can be and are hurt when our golden calfs are toppled. Practically, this suggests that passion is the moral inferior to indifference. I hold the opposite view, because passion is a greater deviation from the norm.

I would argue that rather than "toppling the golden calf", they're building another golden calf right next to the old one and maybe it's crappier or you just don't like it as much, but the old one is still there. Sure, you can point out that the new one sucks, but why does that change your opinion of the old one?
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I've always thought Tezuka was a better Disney analog than Miyazaki.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Read Michael Dirda's review of the biography of Walt Disney by Neal Gabler. It summarises the progress of Disney the artistic creator and Disney the businessman and entrepeneur- two separate images. The big break came when his employees went on strike. From then the artist gave way to the businessman.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Steroid wrote:

I would argue that rather than "toppling the golden calf", they're building another golden calf right next to the old one and maybe it's crappier or you just don't like it as much, but the old one is still there. Sure, you can point out that the new one sucks, but why does that change your opinion of the old one?
On the other side of the gold coin, as no one has actually seen any of these yet, they might actually be a better version to make the old calf look a bit tarnished. All this whipping oneself into a froth over wild speculation and worry is pointless. Until the final product has been seen. He doth complain to much me thinks.
{edited for spelling]

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I believe that as long as one of the movies is focused entirely on Pen Pen, the new Evangelion features will be a success.

Penguins are the new wave - March of the Penguins was successful, Happy Feet did well, and a surfing penguin movie is coming up. I don't know how well either did in Japan, but penguins have already permeated Japanese pop culture. Surely this couldn't have gone unnoticed by Gainax!

Who wouldn't want a feature starring the charismatic beer-drinking flightless water bird who lives in a refridgerator?

Communists, that's who.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I've got only one thing to say for Penguin Truth's post above me:
"Penguin dust! I need penguin dust!"

Other than that, I don't have a whole lot *new* to say to the conversation, just a few repeating things: Banner is awesome. Great rant, particularly since I'm both a fan of Miyazaki and Disney. And the Flake scares me, but I've actually seen other kids like that online. People scare me. I think the Flake and his friends are smoking something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Whenever I have seen Miyazaki referred to as "The Walt Disney of Japan," I always believed that it wasn't really the men themselves that were being compared, but the way they are seen by the people of their respective countries. When an average American thinks of animation, Disney is sure to jump to mind. Everyone grew up with Disney's movies and cartoons. Likewise, the Japanese would probably think of Miyazaki. His movies and well-known and popular, and he and his company are highly regarded. In these ways, I think the analogy is fair.

As others have said, I think when this comparison was first made, its original purpose was the help an uninformed America understand what Miyazaki was to Japan. I don't believe it was necessarily trying to say he and Walt were the same beyond that.

Still, great rant; nice to see something intelligent there for once. It was not only full of really interesting information, but gave both men the credit they truly deserve.
Steroid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

It goes back to what I was saying about continuities. At the end of a movie, you have an idea of what happens to all the characters, who's dead, who's going to be living happy, who's going to be disgraced, etc. A sequel takes both the fates of the characters you know and the vagaries of those you have to guess on, and contradicts the set fates and canalizes the vague ones. So while it might not affect the original movie per se, it does affect those parts that the fan fills in himself.
PaladinBlue

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:
A sequel takes both the fates of the characters you know and the vagaries of those you have to guess on, and contradicts the set fates and canalizes the vague ones. So while it might not affect the original movie per se, it does affect those parts that the fan fills in himself.

Except the new Eva movies are totally unrelated to the TV series save for having big mecha and likely the same characters. They'll change the fates of the original continuity character about as much as Angelic Days does.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:51 pm Reply with quote
okay, comparisons....

who would win in a fight?

Chuck liddell or bruce lee?

The beatles or Aerosmith?

Superman or Batman?

Albert Einstein or Leonardo Da Vinci?

Toriyama or Kishimoto?

Naruto or Sazae san?

and the list goes on and on in the last 200 hundred years.....

Why people keep comparing events or people that should not be compared? Without Disney we wouldn't have Manga or Anime in the first place....

sounds stupid, right? well, Osamu Tezuka, the honored "Manga no Kamisama" based his caricatures inspired in the 50's classic cartoons of Disney, but the man had stories on his own, and he was a doctor!!! instead of a mouse, he had a boy that wished for a human heart, instead of transforming horrible stories (as in cruel, horrid, sordid folk tales) in pompous, charming classics, He questioned life and death in depht in the eyes of an illegal doctor and the fabled phoenix bird, and gave inspiration to the next 10 generations of comic storytellers, so then...Both cannot be compared.

Miyazaki hates Disney...And to be compared by him... Miyazaki got his own inspiration and his own art style from his experiences around planes, his mother's sickness and his love for europe, so not, not a single miyazaki movie can be compared for his similarities (even though, Miyazaki still is getting away for ripping off "Dune" for creating "Nausicaa" that dirty ol' man)
So I will say, please don't insult such geniuses into petty comparisons, just say you like some movies better than others, Plus, Studio Ghibli is not Miyazaki only, where you guys are leaving Isao Takahata? (the grave of fireflies, my neighbors the yamadas, the cat returns...)

I think Takahata is better than Disney and Miyazaki......

Just joking...

NOT!!!!
kensukeyura

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:32 am Reply with quote
Hmm! This week's Answerman was very informative, especially the question about DJ Milky and the rant. Interesting stuff (assuming the information is correct).
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:37 am Reply with quote
BTW, the only gripe I've had about Dark Horse's translation of Berserk is they inserted a line from Army of Darkness into one of the panels of volume 14. Confused
musashi1600

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:06 am Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
And I'm confused. I thought Tezuka Osamu was the Walt Disney Of Japan?

JELEINEN wrote:
I've always thought Tezuka was a better Disney analog than Miyazaki.

Whose name is more likely to be recognized by Americans? If Miyazaki's name is rarely mentioned, Tezuka is unheard of.

ichido reichan wrote:
sounds stupid, right? well, Osamu Tezuka, the honored "Manga no Kamisama" based his caricatures inspired in the 50's classic cartoons of Disney, but the man had stories on his own, and he was a doctor!!! instead of a mouse, he had a boy that wished for a human heart, instead of transforming horrible stories (as in cruel, horrid, sordid folk tales) in pompous, charming classics, He questioned life and death in depht in the eyes of an illegal doctor and the fabled phoenix bird, and gave inspiration to the next 10 generations of comic storytellers, so then...Both cannot be compared.

I think that's mostly due to Disney's desire to make movies meant for young children. AFAIK, Tezuka wasn't like that.

ichido reichan wrote:
Miyazaki hates Disney...And to be compared by him... Miyazaki got his own inspiration and his own art style from his experiences around planes, his mother's sickness and his love for europe, so not, not a single miyazaki movie can be compared for his similarities (even though, Miyazaki still is getting away for ripping off "Dune" for creating "Nausicaa" that dirty ol' man)
So I will say, please don't insult such geniuses into petty comparisons, just say you like some movies better than others,

Hence, why Miyazaki is a king among anime directors/creators. The comparisons between Miyazaki and Disney however, are necessary to give an idea of the caliber of his skill to most Americans.

ichido reichan wrote:
Plus, Studio Ghibli is not Miyazaki only, where you guys are leaving Isao Takahata? (the grave of fireflies, my neighbors the yamadas, the cat returns...)

Yoshifumi Kondo, Hiroyuki Morita, and Goro Miyazaki would each like to have a word with you (especially since Takahata didn't direct The Cat Returns.) Wink
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:05 am Reply with quote
cardcaptormanda wrote:
Whenever I have seen Miyazaki referred to as "The Walt Disney of Japan," I always believed that it wasn't really the men themselves that were being compared, but the way they are seen by the people of their respective countries. When an average American thinks of animation, Disney is sure to jump to mind. Everyone grew up with Disney's movies and cartoons. Likewise, the Japanese would probably think of Miyazaki.

ichido reichan wrote:
Why people keep comparing events or people that should not be compared?

Like cardcaptormanda, I too have thought that "The Walt Disney of Japan" title for Miyazaki Hayao merely reflected America's perception of Walt Disney, though I'm not sure if it reflects Japan's perception of Miyazaki Hayao. This perception has to do with how association is an important part of language. To me, this title doesn't seem to be a tool by which to compare Disney with Miyazaki, such as ichido reichan believes. I think that it is a tool by which Americans are better able to understand and form a concept of the type of figure that Miyazaki represents in Japan. In America, I believe that many people associate some of the best and most enduring 2-D animated feature-length films with Walt Disney and his legacy. Now, if you have a bunch of Americans who have never heard of Miyazaki and have no concept of what he means to a large percentage of Japanese people, and, for that matter, don't know an awful lot about Japan (not to mention anime in general), how would you describe Miyazaki in words that they could understand? You'd probably try to get them to associate Miyazaki with someone that they do understand and have a concept of, someone who is as close to being like Miyazaki as possible, even if there are many differences between them. And so, voila, you hit upon the idea of telling them that Miyazaki is like a Japanese Disney. This is a simile, an association, but not a comparison. It's like encountering someone who asks what a jaguar is. You might ask them, "Do you know what a leopard is?" If they say "yes," then you might say, "A leopard is like a jaguar. They are the leopards of South America." Of course, a jaguar is not a leopard. But even though they have their differences, that doesn't mean that they don't share certain similar characteristics.

But, yeah...that's just a more detailed and lengthy explanation of what other people have already said in this thread, I suppose. And actually, it makes me wonder, are there other interesting associations or similes that people use to describe something that is anime-related to people who aren't anime fans?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6