• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Volume 1 in May

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skygtr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:53 pm Reply with quote
They should just have an option on the DVDs that let's you choose what order.
NOTE:
I want that Nirvash statue. xD
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:08 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
As for the gimmickey-ness of the whole ASOS Brigade... I have to admit that I'm completely taken in... I'm always in anticipation as to when the next episode is coming out.

People will have different reactions to it. I'm just one of those types that is satisfied with hearing the good ol' press release and/or announcement at a con, since whatever is the end result, it's going to pretty much be the same.

Quote:
And Patricia Lee is really cute.

No arguments there.

skygtr wrote:

Problem with that is where you have episodes that would appear later on in the series showing up on the same disc, never mind there would be a noticable loss in quality if you put so many of them on one disc. I can only see the releases either going for both the broadcast and chronological order, or just the chronological order.
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:09 pm Reply with quote
skygtr wrote:
NOTE:
I want that Nirvash statue. xD

I was thinking the same thing, but then it occured to me that doing that would be impossible given that the release is spread over 4 DVDs...

Unless, the episode shuffle was originally done in a way that it could accomodate being divided into 4 sections... then I dunno...
But yeah... as cool as the above idea sounds, it doesn't seem likely...
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:13 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
Unless, the episode shuffle was originally done in a way that it could accomodate being divided into 4 sections... then I dunno...

Judge for yourself from this list.

Since certain ones, like the fourteenth episode being placed as the ninth episode, and episodes four, five, and six, playing out as ten, thirteen, and fourteen... I would think that would be too much of a stretch.

I would assume that Bandai's going to have some sort of announcement soon concerning the order(s) that they'll release The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya in.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Given that it's a four disc release, I'd rather not see Bandai go out of their way to try and arrange some kind of ridiculous strategy to accommodate two viewing options. The vast majority want the show in the broadcast order, so they should just stick to their guns and release it that way.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Bad acting FTW! This is the first series I'm going to buy the individual DVDs for on release date.

Anyway, with four volumes in the North American release, how many episodes per disc is that? 4, 4, 3, 3?

How many DVDs were there in Japan? I think I saw 7 somewhere...That's two episodes per disc... Sad
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:48 pm Reply with quote
There were eight DVDs in Japan, two of which only had one episode.
weaksoul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I just wanted Bandai to know there exists deaf people in the world. Yeah, we're easy to ignore, but perhaps having someone sub the english speaking would be the kind thing to do.

Thanks.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
There were eight DVDs in Japan, two of which only had one episode.

As much as we ("we" is used generally here) complain about anime being so expensive, Japan has it much worse. But then they make up for it with availability (TV especially) and their low prices of manga.
Nenena

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
As much as we ("we" is used generally here) complain about anime being so expensive, Japan has it much worse. But then they make up for it with availability (TV especially) and their low prices of manga.

As someone living in rural Japan, I can attest that cable TV (by which I mean anything more than the two local channels I pick up) is insanely, un-be-freakin-lievably expensive. It would be different if I lived in a metropolitan area, admittedly, but still... Plus the price of DVDs ($60 for two or three episodes)... It's no wonder that a lot of Japanese otaku have started imported R1 releases. No, seriously. North America has it good when it comes to affordable, accessible anime.

HellKorn wrote:

I would sincerely hope that this doesn't become a common practice for those uber-popular cartoons coming out of Japan, though.

I doubt that it will, because this is type of advertising model that works specifically for The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi, and it just wouldn't work for any other series. I can't think of any other series that centers around the type of fourth-wall-breaking and sly self-awareness that Haruhi does. Plus Bandai's efforts mirror the Japanese official websites (with all the gimmicky little tricks and an official email newsletter reluctantly written by "the real Kyon" and such). And, as someone already mentioned, this is an ad campaign tailored to the quote-unquote "hardcore otaku" fanbase. The reason is that a show like Haruhi has practically zero appeal to the mainstream, so Bandai knows that they have to go after the otaku fanbase. Many other popular anime titles do have potential appeal to mainstream audiences, so I can assume that anime companies will continue to market those in a more mainstream way.

Last edited by Nenena on Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lyrai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I like this kind of advertising. It tells me that the company actually has a clue as to what their fanbase wants.

WHat made me giggle the most was "Kyon's" post on the ASOS Myspace about how he's straight. Given that the whole ITSUKI IS GAY FOR KYON stemmed (English-language wise, at least), from 4chan of all places, I was quite amused.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm quite excited by this. I wouldn't mind buying both the first individual disc and the later Special Edition boxset (mostly for the extras - usually I can do without them, but any Haruhi extras would be treasured).

All though at times the ad campaign smacks of "trying too hard", I think Bandai really seems to know what sort of series they're dealing with and understand the characters and the fans, and they show it.

I hope whatever extras the SE has, one of them is a SOS Brigade Chief arm band.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4