• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Sweet Somethings

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:
Oh that's right, I have a PSP too... I just use my DS way way more. But I might want to dig it out to play Sweet Fuse. I rather wish that Sony still seemed to support the PSP in the US, but they kind of don't.

PSP is 10 years old next year ... Did you expect them to make big games on it still or something?

Of course not, I just kind of wish it didn't look like they've mostly abandoned it. I feel like they were behind the PS2 for way longer than they were behind the PSP. They were already ignoring it even before the Vita came out.
Also, it's ten years old? Wow! But yeah, I wish we wouldn't be so quick to leave behind systems for new and shiny things, after a certain time, the only new PS2 games were RPGs too.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:34 pm Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:

I am more looking forward to the translation of the 3rd game though. That game was like a huge extra-fan-dedicated material for those who wanted to explore the Trail Universe even more after the first two games. Unfortunately, I favored the completion of the game over going through every single scenario that was offered in the game, and I never got the urge to go back to it. I might reread all of that stuffs after the English translation comes out.

Here's the thing:

The third game REQUIRES Xseed to continue on with the series. Given how long it took any news to come about SC, I honestly doubt that we will get the third game and beyond UNLESS people speak with their wallets. Given how the first game's sales were, however, I'm a little hesitant to say without a doubt the third game is going to get released.

Prove me wrong, SC and FC Steam edition sales!
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I feel like they were behind the PS2 for way longer than they were behind the PSP. They were already ignoring it even before the Vita came out.
Also, it's ten years old? Wow! But yeah, I wish we wouldn't be so quick to leave behind systems for new and shiny things, after a certain time, the only new PS2 games were RPGs too.

I feel the same way, but then again, I tend to be a late adopter of new consoles, unless there's a game I reeeeeeally want. I like to wait until there's a reasonable amount of games I want to play. It does seem that the PSP didn't seem to do as well here as in Japan, which is probably why they tried to move to the Vita so quickly.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
@tasogarentoome
Tell me about it, I'm only planning to get a PS3 this year! There are games I want to play, but I could also use the Bluray player.
I tend to get new handhelds a bit faster, Pokemon is clearly going to make me get a 3DS (and now I'm glad I waited cus I can get the awesome Pokemon XY XL!)
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Vita TV: Sony has absolutely no clue what they're doing with the Vita, do they?

Shantae: Hopefully this at least gets funded. Also, it suddenly occurred to me that due to Shantae being a half-genie it sort of makes her one of the few Arab-descended heroes in gaming.

Phantasy Star Nova: I do wish people would stop with these MonHun clones.

GGXrd: Some of the character designs do look similar to the new ones in Xrd, though we'll see how that goes. I also wish they'd confirm Baiken for Xrd
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I've seriously lost a lot of respect for Aksys.

Are you forgetting of the of the games that made you popular in the US. A little series called Record of Agarest War, which basically had major elements of eroge, ie the male version of otome games. "its handled a little weirdly". What the hell does that even mean?

There are plenty of eroge then are as neutral as some of these otome, and on the flip side I am dam sure there are some pretty explicit otome games. So I just view this as a slap to face of one of Aksys bigger demographics.

Sure some other companies release eroge, but there is almost no market for console versions here, unlike in Japan. There is nothing stopping them from making these games. Agarest spawned a sequel and prequel. Thousand Arms is still one of the more fondly remembered niche games, and lets not forget Sakura Wars.

Pathetic really. I have no problem with the otome games, I have the LE of the first Hakuoi game, and plan to get sweet fuse, but his comments were very off putting. I could make just as many snide comments about a male game designer putting out a primarily female oriented game, as I could about someone who likes male dating sim games.
sfried

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:22 am Reply with quote
I am sad nobody here is talking about The Wonderful 101...

Based on what I played in the demo, I feel I've not begun to scratch the surface of what it has to offer. The dodge a block mechanic definitely feels like there's going to be some real tough encounters later on.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:31 am Reply with quote
Sweet Fuse is a blast.

There is a lot of humor in this game, and the protagonist is really strong and sticks up for herself.

Thanks for the interview. I will buy any otome game that gets localized here. I will even buy new consoles to play them (i.e. Vita)

--I am really surprised that no one has started licensing the "Alice" games. Judging from the steady sales of all the manga adaptations, those would really sell.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:37 am Reply with quote
I love Hakuoki and Sweet Fuse is brilliant as well. Saki is a great protagonist and the game has a lot of humour as well. The faces of the guys whenever Saki gets angry crack me up every single time.

I already know that I'll buy all the other otome games that Aksys decides to release in the future. It's just such a shame that they probably won't be released on PSP, because that's my favourite console by far.
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:05 am Reply with quote
Almost forgot: Aquapazza has a North American release date of November 19th.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:18 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
--I am really surprised that no one has started licensing the "Alice" games. Judging from the steady sales of all the manga adaptations, those would really sell.

I was surprised too, because, like you said, it would seriously sell. However, at this point, I'm starting to think QuinRose is demanding a lot of money for it. [sigh]
EternalKnight001

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Aksys is amazing. I will buy any otome games they plan on localizing here in a heartbeat. Princess Arthur? YES. Alice series? YES. UtaPri? YES. That Sherlock Holmes one? YES. and.... surprised to hear the mention of Black Wolves Saga as it's one I've been keeping my eye on for a while. And, of course other stuff like Disorder 6, Ever 17 etc etc (ok, shutting up now because I could go on... forever, and ever, and ever). Regardless, hope Aksys thinks about localizing the new Hakuoki announced for Vita as I'm a huge fan of that series too.... and hopefully, maybe, perhaps they think about localizing some visual novels for consoles Anime smile would make a lot of us very, very happy.

Sweet Fuse is great and I'm having such a blast with it so far, gone through four scenarios and the only character I actually actively dislike is Mikami (for good reason but all the same...) *coughs* Anyhoo. Thanks for the interview, very enlightening and glad to hear that Aksys is supporting otome games, as they're quickly becoming my favorite genre (even outpacing JRPG's *shock*)

And yes, why yes, I do have the 3DS version of Hakuoki preordered. Despite the fact I 100% completed the PSP version. Yup. ......
GVman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:21 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Trails in the Sky: I understand taking on a script of SC's size is a considerable undertaking and those of us who know, based on what we've seen of the Japanese version, thought it was looking pretty bleak for a long time. No announcements, no updates. I was willing to wait as long as it took for them to say something, but others just gave up entirely. This is the best news U.S. Falcom fans could ever get, aside from a localized Ys title of course. I simply cannot wait to get back into it and spoiler[help Estelle find Joshua].

Quote:
Namco Bandai released the earlier Gagharv sub-trilogy for the PSP, and its generic confines won over few RPG enthusiasts.

Todd, it had nothing to due with the trilogy being generic. Due to NB's ineptitude in not quality checking the final product (seriously, is proofreading really that hard?), all three games had horrendous translations and it prevented many from enjoying an otherwise interesting collection of stories and characters. It also didn't help that they released the games in the wrong order. Moonlight Witch is the first game, but they released A Tear of Vermillion first. Song of the Ocean has a barely coherent translation, but it's actually more readable than the other two. Honestly, I expected better from NB, which (in addition to their bumbling with the Tales series following Vesperia five years ago) is why I referred to them as Dumbco for a handful of years.

I've also heard the PSP versions of the Gagharv games replaced the PC version's battle system with a more generic one. Would you know anything about this?
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:37 pm Reply with quote
sfried wrote:
I am sad nobody here is talking about The Wonderful 101...

Based on what I played in the demo, I feel I've not begun to scratch the surface of what it has to offer. The dodge a block mechanic definitely feels like there's going to be some real tough encounters later on.

Wait until you get into doing multiple Unite Morphs at once. I forget the name of the channel, but there is one guy doing extensive tutorials for the game.
omgfloofy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Trails in the Sky: Second Chapter was once in this category;

I want to comment that Trails in the Sky SC was never in that category. Everytime that someone asked XSEED about it, the answer was "we're working on it" - and that was the truth.

A game this giant doesn't happen in a short period of time, once they had more information for when they could reliably release it and (most likely) tie up loose ends contractually, they were in a position where they could announce it.

GVman wrote:
I've also heard the PSP versions of the Gagharv games replaced the PC version's battle system with a more generic one. Would you know anything about this?

I actually have a demo video of how the combat in the PC versions works:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYVPXDWNZd0 (Make sure you have the annotations on. I explain information with them.)

This is what Namco-Bandai's PSP port looks like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uQHTAeEh_w
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3