• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Watching Anime with no subtitles or Dubs.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qoutheraven

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:46 am Reply with quote
Have you ever watched anime with no Subititles or dubs...And not know a word of the language other than origato and still understood the story...

It makes Samurai champloo intresting
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:46 am Reply with quote
Yes, on several occasions but it does tend to piss one off a little. Nerima Daikon Bros is one of those shows.
Now, try watching english shows with subs, you can watch at twice the speed therefore halve the watching time, i'm currently doing this with all of Babylon Five Smile
EVA fiend

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Before subtitled/dubbed anime was readily available, I used to watch a lot of my anime in raw Japanese; all of Studio Ghibli's work from the 80's & early 90's, the bulk of the Shoujo Kakumei Utena TV series, the Utena movie, the Evangelion movies, lots of hentai, & a whole host of robot series from the late 80's & early 90's. And no, I'm fluent in Japanese, but that didn't stop me from enjoying watching anime raws. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
I still watch some anime without subs/dubs as there are some shows that have never made it outside of Japan, e.g., Dragon's Heaven, one of my fave shows, that I first saw as a raw, then a ropey Engrish fansub on VHS tape, & as a raw again as I now I have the Japanese DVD.
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:55 am Reply with quote
Heh, apparently when JAFWA started they used raws with photocopied translation sheets. Watching anime that way is hard, but makes you appreciate the amount of raw work that goes into producing fansubs.

And while utena would be quite hard to follow in raw, I would hate to see Votoms raw... it's hard enough to follow in english!
Xtreme-X

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:27 am Reply with quote
I tried watching Berserk raw once to see the difference between the voice actors. I couldn't follow it at all and was more confused than anything.
jazarules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Yer i agree with Sonictail, watching raw anime with no subs and ect does tend to piss one off a little... but its also good because half the time i watch each or any anime for the case, i miss half of it just by reading the english subs...but its good as well because i no a fair bit of japanese.

Keywords are really the only thing(s) i understand when watching any anime raw.. eg OTAKU(GEEK ect), because the rest is so hard to take in at once and you have to desypher each japanese word thats spoken..
but its also a good learning experience... i wonder if you watch anime in japanese for many years without subs and ect, could you learn/understand japanese? wouldnt it be like going to a Japanese school?I believe its possible and there would be many people that have accomplished it before!!
fist of legend

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:01 am Reply with quote
Heck no! I had a relative who watched tons of dragon ball z episodes in spansih even though he couldn't speak the language. I know you guys are talking about the japanese language,but I think the principal is the same. Watching a program in a lanaguage you can't understand. I tried ,but didin't enjoy any programs like this.
madmangohan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:16 am Reply with quote
I sure as heck enjoyed watching the Digimon movie with the spanish audio on. That film was made to be cheesy no matter how you see it.

But yeah, i remember seeing a few raw episodes of Comic Party Revolution once, and although I never understood what the hell was said, I was able to get the general gist of the plot.
hypoperoxicacidman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:23 am Reply with quote
General. Very general understanding. And I am using general very loosly.
Unmei No Deai

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I've never been able to pick up more than a very basic understanding of the storyline - but that's okay; making up your own plot is far more enjoyable.
The Unknown 24

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:11 am Reply with quote
Yes, I've watched plenty of anime "raw". Back in 1996 when I was going to the Japanese video store a lot and renting anime. I got to see a lot of the shows before they got domestically released here in the USA.

I was renting and copying to build my collection up(I bought a lot of shows on dvd when they came out domestically and was happy to see them subbed).

Anime is an art form and pictures do tell a story and so does the background music.

Even if you don't speak the language you can listen to the tone of voice and feel the emotions. You can tell when they are mad , sad, etc...

But thanks to all the people who wrote episode guides and synopsis on the internet. I use to get an episode guide and read it then watch the show raw, it did help out a little bit of understanding what was going on.

Very Happy Twisted Evil Very Happy
vapwaazu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:27 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I've seen the first LOGH movie raw Laughing Watched last year's Pokemon movie in Japanese cinemas and own quite a number of Japanese R2 DVDs. So yeah, I watch anime raw often Anime hyper And my Japanese is not good enough to understand a whole lot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
aurickandrien

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:54 am Reply with quote
Not really... I do watch anime without subtitles from time to time, but it's always things that I've already watched with the subtitles and I do have at least a beginers understanding of Japanese. I'm not sure at all how I'd fair watching a new series without the subtitles and I'm not all that willing to risk ruining the experience by trying. Smile

Still watching without subtitles with my basic level of Japanese can be quite interesting... If only for the fact that sometimes I can watch one episode and understand most things pretty well only to watch the next episode of the series and be totally lost as to what they're saying for the most part. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1