• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: American Anime Awards Voting Now Open

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:52 pm Reply with quote
But I'm quite sure Square Enix didn't create "Advent Children" with the intention of it being anime. They just made a realistic CG movie based off their best-selling game. Granted that game looked a bit anime-ish, but it wasn't an anime game. You people just assume that anything made in Japan for the Japanese has to be anime, just because it uses some form of animation. CG isn't quite the same. When you show someone a CG movie, they don't automatically think "anime". But if you show someone something like what they show on Toonami or the Saturday Night AS run, they'll almost guaranteed call it anime. Square Enix already visibly did an Anime(Final Fantasy: Last Order), but Advent Children wasn't done with the intention of being an anime. And isn't intention half the difference between anime and non-anime? CG animation is still new, so it's hard to really categorize it, but I'd say it's its own separate genre(unless of course it's a CG movie based directly off an anime).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Iritscen
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:55 pm Reply with quote
How about we compromise and call it "CG anime"?
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
How about we compromise and call it "CG anime"?

I would agree on that. For CG movies that are based off an anime. Like the aforementioned Macross and such. Advent Children is superb, but is a CG movie based off a video game.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:04 pm Reply with quote
CG is animation, like it or not it's animation just done in a different form. Believe it or not a lot of anime uses CG but is styled to look like traditional animation, Noein for instance uses a lot of CG for its backgrounds aside from the obvious CG elements but it's styled to look traditional. CG is a just a new form of animation, that's all there is to it.

Now did Alexandre Dumas write "The Count of Monte Cristo" with the intention of it becoming an anime? Of course not, anime didn't even exist when that book was written. So I guess Gankutsuou isn't anime either, right? And all those anime based on manga I guess are actually manga, and not anime, right? Just because it's based on a source material that isn't anime doesn't mean an animated feature or series made about that source isn't anime, it's animation and it's from Japan made for that audience so it's anime.

Frankly, you're the first and only person from professionals to fans to other forum members I've ever seen trying to claim it's not anime. CG is animation, that's all there is to it, and it's for more common in anime today than you think.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I might as well give up. I could argue till I'm blue in the face or pass out(likely too, since I'm normally asleep by now), but it won't affect your opinions. Suffice to say, I think it isn't anime. I think it's just a (very awesome) CG film.

Alexandre Dumas isn't alive to tell us if he thinks his novel is good as an anime, and if it was the right thing to do. But luckily for us, Square Enix is alive and well, and they could tell us, though I suspect they'd give PR double-speak like "We are proud of our numerous fans across the world, and we created this movie to be something that transcends all the traditional genres of animation."

Anyways. I give up. White flag.

*edit*
And I did get us to stop complaining about the rampant typos and other such errors in the poll. Razz
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Well Square themselves categorized it as anime and used the term in their press releases, so it seems they think it's anime as well. The media thinks it's anime. The fans think it's anime. The stores do as well. Not to mention it fits all the criteria for anime, so it's really a no-brainer. As for Dumas, he has no say in the matter, an anime studio took his story and adapted it in to animation from Japan, even if he said otherwise it would still be anime. It's not just up to the people releasing it, otherwise we'd have a world like EBay where you have a antique cedar chest categorized as silverware.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6