• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: American Anime Awards Voting Now Open

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:43 pm Reply with quote
PatrickD wrote:
I found it strange how some categories had long lists of nominees and others had shorter lists. That didn't seem quite right either.

This actually didn't surprise me. I think it's because in some categories many of the independents nominated the same titles.

Additionally, we know that each company submitted 2 nominations in each category. If a company didn't have any products in a particular category, it probably made no nomination. For example, Bandai Entertainment doesn't have a lot of comedy titles, so perhaps they nominated nothing in that category.

What surprised me were the old titles (As Theron mentioned, ANN stuck with titles that had at least 1 new volume released in 2006, with the exception of the package design category, where we considered re-releases that had new packages...).

What disappointed me, but doesn't surprise be in retrospect, are the companies that nominated the same two shows in every category, even if they weren't appropriate.

-t
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:31 pm Reply with quote
kushiel wrote:
I love how about 80% of the series nominees are from this decade, save for CPM's titles.

I wonder why Geneon didn't try to pimp Bosch for Trigun in the comedy actor category instead of Akira...

Yeah, that is weird. (about the nominees and his VA credits) lol Y'know, sadly I haven't been able to see many of the fabuous animes that've been listed for this, sooo.... consiquently I'm having to do research on 'em as I vote. And for some of the questions, like no. 7 (music) I had such a hard time choosing between FMA's "Rewrite," Ghost's "Rise," and Loveless's "Tsuki no Curse" Ugh... Not to mention all the ones I'm just now hearing (like Karas' "Selenite," and Gankutsuou's "You Won't See Me Coming"). This is very difficult since, like I said, there're so many amazing and memerable candidates and you can only pick 1 per question. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

And oh my god was the last coupla ones tough! 'specially the "best manga" one; I had to choose between Fruits Basket, Chrono Crusade, Bleach, Naruto, Death Note! Anime cry That's too cruel. But I think I'm content with my decisions. Now, MUST. SPREAD. THE WORD!! *gone*
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:46 pm Reply with quote
The nominated choice WERE interesting. Confused I'm just glad that ANN's choices were "proper" and stayed with 2006 releases.

Hopefully (and I'm not going to hold my breath) next year, everyone will have gotten all of the various series new and old out of their systems and the nominees will strickly be from 2007.

And I also agree with those who didn't like the number of nominees per catagory. Too many choices, While I understand, I do think that they should have been narrowed down just a tad.

BTW - Fruits Basket for Best Manga! Very Happy
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I tend to be normally fairly easy-going about these things, but this was...well...dismal. It was absolutely unclear if I was supposed to vote for an actor in the series they were listed in (which I hoped and assumed it was, and decided to go with Chris Patton's performance in Princess Tutu), or if I was supposed to vote for the actor's entire body of work (in which case, I probably would've gone with either Vic Mignogna--because, admittedly, I'm a fangirl--or Crispin Freeman--because he has such an incredible range, and has been in such a large number of titles, consistantly giving good performances). And Akira is...a comedy? No Miyzaki feature listed at all? (I guess Disney wasn't invited to nominate anyone?) Hopefully this is just a first year thing...I was hoping this would be more prestigious, along the lines of the Oscars (or at LEAST the People's Choice Awards), but this feels more like Spike's Video Game Awards (babes! blood!).

Plus--and this is something that really couldn't be helped--it's a shame that some dubs will be left out of the list because they're non-union. Again, I don't think there's anything to be done that could fix that, but so many actors give great performances on non-union dub that it's sad to have to let those dubs be passed by.

As for the awards being dub-centric..I don't know if I can really disagree with that. It's not that I don't like the Japanese versions of the anime, either, but...this is basically the only award out there for dub actors (unless they get on a high-profile dub that gets nominated for an Annie--which doesn't often happen). Correct me if I'm wrong, but voice actors in Japan *do* have awards already set up to honor them, right?[/i]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:03 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
No Miyzaki feature listed at all? (I guess Disney wasn't invited to nominate anyone?)

However, Whisper of the Heart was on the nomination list for best feature. I think that just complicates the strange lack of Miyazaki films further. I mean, I don't even recall seeing Castle of Cagliostro on there, which got a snazzy re-release this year.

I'm hoping this whole thing gets cleaned up and more professional in terms of catagories, releases, cutoffs, and the general way it is handled. While as a Newsradio fan, I wouldn't mind it being nominated for a 2007 Emmy on the basis that it's a great show, I would also question the integrity of the voting requisites if it were nominated as it's been off the air for close to eight years.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:10 am Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
No Miyzaki feature listed at all? (I guess Disney wasn't invited to nominate anyone?)

However, Whisper of the Heart was on the nomination list for best feature. I think that just complicates the strange lack of Miyazaki films further. I mean, I don't even recall seeing Castle of Cagliostro on there, which got a snazzy re-release this year.

And Whisper ? out of all of the Miyazaki films??? Ooookaaaay Question Confused

Quote:
I'm hoping this whole thing gets cleaned up and more professional in terms of catagories, releases, cutoffs, and the general way it is handled. While as a Newsradio fan, I wouldn't mind it being nominated for a 2007 Emmy on the basis that it's a great show, I would also question the integrity of the voting requisites if it were nominated as it's been off the air for close to eight years.

And from this thread the integrity (Execept for ANNs nominees) is being SEVERLY questioned. One can only hope that it DOES improve next year.
AnimeMajor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:47 am Reply with quote
CGord wrote:
LOL, "Mary Elizabeth". What, no room for "McGlynn"?

Yeah, I was looking for her name in particular, too, and I had to laugh when I saw that something that's supposed to be "professional" is so disorganized that they can't even get a VA's full name in. And if they only had room for two names, then they could have taken out "Elizabeth" (she's was credited as Mary McGlynn on "GitS: SAC" before she was credited with her full name on "GitS: 2nd GIG") and just went with Mary McGlynn.

I'm a new member, and I just want to say that I agree with all the posts about the awards. I thought it was haphazardly thrown together without any thought or insight to the categories or the nominees. How much effort can it really take to make this a professional awards ceremony, something that all us anime die-hards want to see? Give me a break.

And IMHO, I hope Mary Elizabeth wins. She deserves it. Best VA around, best singer around (give "Silent Hill 3" and "Silent Hill 4" a listen) and she has great strength, diction, range, and emotion. All things you want in a VA. My vote went to her! (That's not to say the other VAs aren't good, but as I wrote, IMHO, Mary Elizabeth rocks.) Very Happy
Nermal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:58 am Reply with quote
Ahhh, finally a poll that categorizes Akira as a comedy Confused

This whole survey thing was pretty hilarious...it's like reading a drunken rough draft. Did anyone contact them and report all of these errors? Hopefully the 2nd annual awards (if they hold one) will be treated with more care.
Iritscen
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I think that the best people to contact them would be the same industry reps (such as those at ANN) who nominated those titles. They can tell the organizers that they are unhappy with the way their nominations are being presented, or that the rules should be changed (even if rule changes only take effect next year). Quite possibly, many of the industry reps have done so already. I wouldn't know.

Nobody seems to have commented on one positive: that award is actually pretty cool. It's the only reason I even believe this is a legitimate survey for an event to be held at NYCC.
kanami

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:05 pm Reply with quote
My feelings are with almost everyonew here... I feel specially sad for some really EXCELLENT shows or mangas like Gankutsuo, Kamichu!, Genshiken or MONSTER, that maybe are not even going to be finalists because Naruto and Fullmetal Alchemist (the anime) or Ranma (or any other old show) will be nominated. I hold nothing against those shows (in fact, i love the FMA manga and Ranma), but I think there's a line between a serious nomination and a popularity contest, like all those TV Asashi lists Razz . And this is certainly a popularity contest, and a very bad organized one.

Bah, I suppose everyone with some criteria will take this as what it is, and will still be more interested in more serious awards like the Media Arts Plaza Razz
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, these awards looked incredibly sloppy. At least I was pleasantly surprised to see the wonderful lead performances of Princess Tutu and Magic User's Club on the ballot (my especial favorite being Misty Daniels), so I went with them. Would be great if one of them actually won, but I guess I can't count on it, since they are not particularly popular titles...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Everyone please check out our interview with the guy who handled the nomination and balloting procedure for this thing here:

animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2007-01-03

Maybe it'll answer your questions, maybe not.
Iritscen
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Wow, when did you do that, Zac?

And hopefully the upset fans will find it reassuring. I think that just hearing from this guy (who seems to be a professional at handling surveys, if not an expert in anime) and seeing him acknowledge the issues makes me feel a little better, personally, although I don't know that I can comfortable vote on those nominations with the bizarre critera with which they were chosen. I'll give it another try.
Jeikobu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:26 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
And Whisper ? out of all of the Miyazaki films??? Ooookaaaay Question Confused

Correction: Mimi wo Sumaseba (a.k.a. "Whisper of the Heart") is not directed by Miyazaki-san, but rather Kondou Yoshifumi-san (though Miyazaki-san did direct the fantasy sequence, according to ANN's encyclopedia page).

However, while Sumaseba is an excellent movie, more Ghiblis should have been listed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Everyone please check out our interview with the guy who handled the nomination and balloting procedure for this thing here:

animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2007-01-03

Maybe it'll answer your questions, maybe not.

Great interview. All of the questions that were asked are issues that needed to be addressed. However, as well thought out as Milton Griepp's answers were, and as well-intentioned as the ceremony is, it doesn't change the fact that this really is a popularity contest. While sure anime fans are knowledgeable about the medium, they're still fans. And I think most will vote simply based on the series they love, rather than looking at individual aspects because that means the show will get more recognition. I looked through the ballot, and I really had to tear myself from my fan side and critic side. An example being, while I would love for Tony Oliver to win for Lupin The Third since...well it's Lupin and the man doesn't get enough love here there is a MUCH better choice on the list. So I have to go with that even though I don't want to "ignore" Lupin. Plus I'm also going by which series the actors have been credited for. Since all VA's give better performances in some series as compared to others, I think it's fair to vote based on the series they're being associated with as opposed to all of their work. I have hope that in time the kinks will be worked out to really make this legit, but as it stands while the people who put this together are trying it's still a weak and shallow effort. In short there need to be "filters" so to speak.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6