• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Busou Renkin (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mini Jesus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I liked it for the most part, but the comedy in the first episode felt like it was getting in the way rather than making it a more enjoyable experience. I kept getting angry with the comedy rather than laughing because of it. They kept putting it at what I felt were the worst moments. Moments that should be filled suspense, or anxiety even maybe, would be foiled because of the comedy. If they can tone it down I'm sure I'll love this show but if they don't I'm sure you'll hear from me about it again.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:25 am Reply with quote
Episode 2. It felt like they really jumped into things without much of a setup. I mean:

spoiler[ It seems like they just went straight into a story arc with only a few minutes of introduction to how all of this Homonculus stuff works.

On top of that, you have Tokiko getting infected by the little Homonculus nanomachine or whatever, and now she's only got a week to capture and defeat the guy in charge of it or she'll turn into one herself.

With that, I'm guessing the bad guy (with the butterfly mask) is either not the main one or he gets away and reappears later in the series.]

Also, I think I'm getting used to the comedy. Some may call it cheesy or cliché at parts, but I don't really mind it at all. Never really expected Watsuki to go for a little fan service when spoiler[ Tokiko was walking up some stairs with her shaking rear on the verge of flashing in Kazuki's face. He sure does get into a lot of blushing situations, though Razz.]

I like it so far. It's simple, fun, and has great production values. Love that opening song too, the electric guitar riff and vocals get me real engergized for some reason Anime hyper.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:49 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Not all people like shounen

I could be mistaken, but I've been told I'm a shounen fan.

Regardless, I'm not exactly "forcing" myself anything, I've got a list of stuff to watch so long it'll be at least 2 weeks before I even find time to see the first eps. I'd only go back and rewatch something based one someone's opinion who's tastes are similar to my own or I valued for any of a variety of opinions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tebalith

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:28 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Episode 2. It felt like they really jumped into things without much of a setup. I mean:

spoiler[ It seems like they just went straight into a story arc with only a few minutes of introduction to how all of this Homonculus stuff works.

On top of that, you have Tokiko getting infected by the little Homonculus nanomachine or whatever, and now she's only got a week to capture and defeat the guy in charge of it or she'll turn into one herself.

With that, I'm guessing the bad guy (with the butterfly mask) is either not the main one or he gets away and reappears later in the series.]

It's tricky to think of a better way to set things up without it looking too quick. But spoiler[Tokiko was not really telling something out of the blue. She found the devices, explained about them to Kazuki because earlier there was no time, and he needs to know. She saw that the thing was missing, and then it turns out that it's still there and Tokiko gets infected.

It would have been worse had she coincidentally come to speak about this particular topic, and then, out of the blue, it manifests itself. Kazuki simply does not know anything yet, and he'll be told the things that are most important for the current situation. That the parasite, once it's established that it exists, shows up and causes trouble, isn't that much of a stretch on probability...

Disabling Tokiko (temporally) forces Kazuki into action, of course, so it sort of had to happen sooner or later, and considering that the series is relatively short and Tokiko is, after all, much more experienced than Kazuki (and at least in the anime, did most of the fighting herself), there needs to be something like that, you cannot wait and drag it out for much later...

Ah, and Papillon. <3]

Tony K. wrote:
Never really expected Watsuki to go for a little fan service when spoiler[ Tokiko was walking up some stairs with her shaking rear on the verge of flashing in Kazuki's face. He sure does get into a lot of blushing situations, though Razz.]

That actually wasn't in the manga, spoiler[the stairs thing]. The anime seems to make Kazuki blush a bit more than the manga, but that's probably just... elaboration, so to speak. ^^

The fanservice in Busou Renkin, all in all, is much more likely to satisfy a girl with a very naughty sense of humour.... o_o
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:50 am Reply with quote
I see, that makes more sense then Shocked. I guess I'm just so use to the variety of shounen series that go well beyond 26 episodes these days.

It's a bit of a shame that Watsuki had to end the manga early. But I guess it's also good in that given the length of the franchise (10 volumes), they can at least complete the whole story and (hopefully) not have much filler in between.

I should probably look into buying the manga since it's just now coming out domestically.
tebalith

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I don't think there will be any fillers, actually. With the third episode, which aired today, the first volume was completed. The second will in all likeliness be told in the following three episodes, and if you do the maths, there probably won't be any place for fillers.

On the one hand, it's sad that it ended early, but on the other hand, I love Watsuki's two oneshots he did afterwards, and he probably wouldn't have done them had he still been working on BR. Wink Look at the bright side.
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I thought that the episode wasn't that rushed. I really liked how it got all the stuff out in the open when it needed to be said, and then got to business. I mean, I wouldn't want to wait 14 more episodes just to figure out what the plot of the story is. Now we basically know that spoiler[Kazuki and Tokiko are going to go around town looking for the papillon-masked guy, and try to stop the Homunculus in the town from making any more "sacrifices".] Now, look at how we know what the series will be about in episode 2, whereas, in Eureka 7, episode 25, I still have no idea what the f*ck Renton's gonna' end up doing besides the obvious spoiler[get back on the Gekko and reunite with Eureka while confessing his feelings for her] (don't get me wrong, though; I love Eureka 7). Anyway, I still see alot of potential for Busou Renkin. I expect nothing but the greatest things from Watsuki.

And BTW, Tony, volume 2 of Buso Renkin manga just came out October 3rd. The 3rd volume is due out on December 5th (just in case you didn't know yet). I'm like you though, I guess, seeing as how I, too, wish to read a volume or so of the manga... I'm gonna buy the first volume off of Amazon in 5 minutes with my mom's saved credit card info. Twisted Evil
omar235

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I just saw the second episode and my thoughts on the series so far is that this is your basic shounen series and is very cliched but for me this isn't a bad thing since it doesn't bother me if a series is a bit generic. I do find the action to be enjoyable and the story hasn't bored me yet...so far so good I guess. Very Happy
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, I watched the first episode with a group of friends - I was the only one who knew anything about it and I kept quiet until afterwards (no need to bias opinions before people've seen it).

The general consensus was that it wasn't especially good. That it starts off fairly promising but all too quickly starts treading a familiar path. It's already been said here, but yep, it was Bleach again.
Now, I didn't say I thought it was bad - honestly it seemed fine for what it is. I just have no desire to watch another generic shounen series, and the first episode left me in little doubt that that would be what the future of Busou Renkin would hold.
So, yeah, let me know when they reach the Alchemist Tournament. No, I haven't read any of the manga - it's just a guess. Call me cynical.
omar235

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:22 pm Reply with quote
You know there is a thread on the manga forum called "manga vs anime" so theres no point to continue argueing it here slickwataris, so lets not get into whats better manga or anime, or what makes one crap and the other not. By the way on that thread I stated my opinion that manga and anime are very difficult, if not, impossible to compare due to them being two completely diffrent way of telling the same stories. Besides the title of this thread is "Busou Renkin the anime".
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:49 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
yes, I've realized it is a complete waste of time to try and make a point to Watsuki fans.

I don't mind criticism. But if you're going to be judgemental and label Watsuki fans to be stubborn and "a waste of time" then you shouldn't have posted your comments about the manga being garbage in the first place.

For all I care, your post is boderline to trolling because it gave absolutley no contribution other than illicting tension through, what I wanted to be, a balanced discussion on the pros and cons of this series.

You say Kenshin was decent, label BR the manga as trash, throw the anime in with it just because of that, and make no valid points other than saying the character designs are a rip off of Bleach and Kenshin. If that is all you ever look for in a shounen series, then it makes me wonder why you even enjoy them.

Nearly all shounen titles have some kind of similarity whether it be a few character designs, plot formulas, themes, or whatever. The point is you should just watch/read it and have fun. If you don't like it after a few minutes of the first episode or one volume of the manga and think that constitutes berating its fans and simply throwing it out immediately, then just do so and be on your merry way to enjoy whatever you think isn't hackneyed garbage after one volume or a few minutes...
tebalith

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I found a couple of things I like about Busou Renkin. There are some that really excite me, and which are fun to read and fun to discuss. For example, I'm looking forward to Papillon's first real appearance, because I know if it's anything as I hope it will be, I'll laugh about it all day, and be extremely happy. I'm also dying to know how people will react to it. Some will probably be scared off... but maybe others will be drawn to it. Who knows. I might try to show certain clips to my friends to see whether they freak out or start crying. I'm going to experiment a lot. Personally, I like Busou Renkin. But if you have not read past the first volume, you don't know what I am talking about, anyway. But then again, you cannot really judge the series, or me, or anyone else who's in it for the Papillon crack.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I've seen the first 4 episodes. And I have to say, I still consider this to be a generic shounen action series. BUT, there's only one reason I'm still following this and that's:

TOKIKO and her awesome kinky weapon, the Valkyrie Skirt!!! Anime smallmouth

And also, I am ESPECIALLY glad she still has some fighting strength despite the fact she has that spoiler[parasite embedded into her] so she can fight along side with Kazuki. I was like rooting for her when she single-handedly took out that hommunculis by herself despite that handicap. Cool

Given the Bleach-esque introduction, I was afraid Tokiko might end up being totally worthless for the rest of the series. I mean I really like the fact that the main girl and main guy gets to fight together; this is probably why I love the series by TYPE-MOON because of that. I seriously hope this relationship between Tokiko and Kazuki lasts for the rest of the series.

And there's her in those hot pants in episode 4! Embarassed
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:39 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Ok, I've seen the first 4 episodes. And I have to say, I still consider this to be a generic shounen action series. BUT, there's only one reason I'm still following this and that's:

TOKIKO and her awesome kinky weapon, the Valkyrie Skirt!!! Anime smallmouth

And also, I am ESPECIALLY glad she still has some fighting strength despite the fact she has that spoiler[parasite embedded into her] so she can fight along side with Kazuki. I was like rooting for her when she single-handedly took out that hommunculis by herself despite that handicap. Cool

Given the Bleach-esque introduction, I was afraid Tokiko might end up being totally worthless for the rest of the series. I mean I really like the fact that the main girl and main guy gets to fight together; this is probably why I love the series by TYPE-MOON because of that. I seriously hope this relationship between Tokiko and Kazuki lasts for the rest of the series.

And there's her in those hot pants in episode 4! Embarassed

I have to Agree, Tokiko is one seriouse Baddass Female, She pretty much scares me more than Rukia,she's more like a female version of Kenshin in someways( The Kenshin-like scar on the side of her Nose gives it away)

I just hope Tokiko does'nt end up getting weaker than Kazuki Muto,once Kazuki learns how to control his powers better.

Busou Renkin may be one of those Generic Shounen Fighters,but I would'nt call it an exact rip off, just a Homage to some of the Anime, we have your basic Kenshin-like character named Tokiko, than you have a standard Bleach-like Hero named Kazuki, and to top if all off,you throw in some elements from Full Metal Alchemist like the Humunculouse.

the Only difference between Bleach and this is, that Tokiko is a much more seriouse female and does'nt do sucky drawlings to lecture Kazuki like Rukia does with Ichigo in those Comedy moments. and than they had to toss in one of those YuYu Hakusho elements having Kazuki die in the first episode and than get revived again with Powers.

Overall, this is a great Series with only 26 episodes( Depends if it gets Popular), but I hope it does'nt end up exceeding past 26 episodes, I don't want it to get rediculously overated like Naruto and Inuyasha And Yes, I do agree that that Tokiko looks pretty Kawaii in that outfit Very Happy

If any Company gets this Anime, it will most doubtly be Viz Media,because Viz these days are licensing the most Shounen fighters, and Funimation are'nt licensing as much shounen fighters as they used too,they're trying to steer clear away from that department to concentrate on more mature/darker drama anime like Trinity Blood and Solty Rei[/b]
Hisdon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:39 pm Reply with quote
personally I think the overall quality is really low for this show, however it catches my attention and I end up watching it anyways; kinda like Burst Angel did
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7