• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What was your first manga?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:42 pm Reply with quote
My first manga series was Love Hina. After watching the anime, I heard that the manga was considerably better than the anime. Since I really enjoyed the anime, I FINALLY ended up buying Vol. 1 of the manga, which was about 2 years ago.

After that, it was history. =\
hanachan01

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Wakaiba wrote:
Sailor Moon. It's so embarassing nowadays, but I feel very prominent with my old, $20 volumes of "pocket-sized" manga by Smile!, I think. After Sailor Moon I moved onto Miracle Girls, from which I quickly strayed and found AMG!.

Man, am I glad I moved on. Have to respect the roots, though...

Odly, enough, that's almost the same exact thing that happened to me with manga! Only I started SM and MG at the same time, and I never completed either series. I wish both would be re-released in R->L format and wiht the orignal Japanese names, but since TokyoPop doesn't have the SM lisence anymore and MG isn't popular enough to warrant a re-release, it's not happening Sad I plan on getting the R_>L AMG soon though, since my library had the first 10 volumes and I only bought the first one.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Kare Kano. And that was a few months ago. I'm not a big manga fan. I read it because the anime ends so oddly. I wanted to know what happens and the series was almost complete, so I gave it a try. I really enjoyed it and have since picked up a few other titles.

As for people's comments about the intro thread, I have been coming to ANN for years and never visited the manga section. Today is my first post in this section and I posted in the intro thread. But I only read the first page and the page where my post appears. It's just way too long to read.
cerulean88

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:19 am Reply with quote
one of the first mangas i've read is The Cherry Project. It left a really good impression on me when i was young cause i loved ice-skating at the time and i think the art is really awesome too.
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:57 am Reply with quote
Sadly I can count the number of manga titles I have read at least a complete volume of in two hands so I may not be qualified to post in this thread, but if you all don't mind...

First and only manga series I have read completely is Ranma ½. The anime is my favorite and so after watching every episode, OVA, and movie at least twice I went out in search of what else there may be. I found the manga, and surprisingly loved that even more.
ShootYouStars

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:34 am Reply with quote
It was either Sailor Moon or CardCaptor Sakura. I used to love that, then one day at Borders I found the manga there. ...I didn't know about how there were different seasons of sailor moon then, so I chose the one witht the lowest number,3. This ended up being the last book of Stars, aka the end of the whole series. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop I bought CCS at the same time. I didn't know it was manga though. It was just a comic book with Sailor Moon in it.

The first Manga I bought as a manga was Chobits. I WAS TEN. I didn't know about ratings then. It scared the hell outa me when they showed Chii waking up and you could see her naked. Shocked I ended up giving it away a few months later because it scared me.

The first series I finished was .hack//Legend of the Twilight Braclet. (Yes, the one with incest-ness. I didn't even pick up on the incest themes xD)
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:19 am Reply with quote
The first manga I read was a Mario manga by Coro-Coro COmics. But what really got me into reading manga later was One Piece, and I still have all 43 volumes Very Happy
jgreen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:28 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
The first manga I read was a Mario manga by Coro-Coro COmics. But what really got me into reading manga later was One Piece, and I still have all 43 volumes Very Happy

That's right! I'll have to rescind my previous statement. The first manga that I ever read were the Legend of Zelda and Mario Bros. manga that were translated and printed in the pages of Nintendo Power. Man, I haven't thought about those in ages... The Zelda one was even by manga legend Shotaro Ishinomori (the creator of Cyborg 009 and Kamen Rider).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloud43514

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:01 pm Reply with quote
my first manga? well, the time i read manga was 4 years ago (i'm still kind of an anime noob...) with Yu-Gi-Oh in an old issue of Shonen Jump. the first manga i had gotten in graphic novel format, though was One Piece volumes 1-3, but the first manga i personally bought were Bleach volume 1 and Black Cat volume 1.
Saiyo_Chan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:17 pm Reply with quote
The first manga I actually read in manga form was Magic Knights Rayearth #1, which was birthday gift for me around 4-5 years ago. I saw it on eBay before I even knew the word 'manga' existed, but at that time I was just beginning to expand on my horizons from watching Sailor Moon and Pokemon, and was looking for anything with the "anime" art style. Plus, I had seen Mokona on a website and thought it (he? she?) was adorable. After reading MKR, I found out that Borders and Barnes & Nobles had more "anime comic books" and began finding out what manga was from there.

A year or two before that, I had read the Electric Tale of Pikachu and Sailor Moon manga series in thinner, comic book form (bought at the local K-Mart), since I'd eat up anything from both of those franchises.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:53 pm Reply with quote
FeralKat wrote:
My very first manga was Pokemon, but I don't think that counts since it was just another comic to me at the time. I would say that Magic Knight Rayearth was the very first manga that made me sit up and take notice. (And suddenly, an otaku was born.) Very Happy

Same here. Only, replace Pokemon with Sailor Moon. My first real "manga experience" began with MKR. That particular series got me into Chobits and CLAMP in general. However, I'm not such a big fan of CLAMP anymore, as I'm starting to see recycled themes and such. I'm also not a big fan of their new art style (seen in Tsubasa).

ShootYouStars wrote:
The first series I finished was .hack//Legend of the Twilight Braclet. (Yes, the one with incest-ness. I didn't even pick up on the incest themes xD)

That's not incest... Confused (A close relationship between separated twins is more like it. Rena just wants Shugo to be a hero, her hero, but not in that way.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Like a few other people, the first manga I read was Ranma 1/2 - it was the only manga available at the local shop, but I loved it. Shame I couldn't afford to buy more than the first three volumes...

After that I read Battle Angel Alita and parts of Akira then I took a long manga break which has only just ended.
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:58 am Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Same here. Only, replace Pokemon with Sailor Moon. My first real "manga experience" began with MKR. That particular series got me into Chobits and CLAMP in general. However, I'm not such a big fan of CLAMP anymore, as I'm starting to see recycled themes and such. I'm also not a big fan of their new art style (seen in Tsubasa).

It's not a "new" art style. CLAMP is four women, two of which take on the "main" artistic duties. I can't find the information at the moment to assign names to each one, but the one who draws Tsubasa also drew Angelic Layer; that's always been her art style. The one who drew MKR, Chobits, X, et al., was a different woman entirely, hence the difference in art style.
b214

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Mine was Full Metal Alchemist, and i loved at or at least what i read of it. I like it more than the anime as far as i can tell now but it annoys me how they finished the anime but not the manga.
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:45 pm Reply with quote
My first manga I bought was the single issue Sailor Moon manga and it was a random volume from the Infinity arc that I bought from a local comic book shop we used to have at the mall that sold both manga and American comics, but sadly that store closed down, so I went by Walden's to see what they had and I was surprised to find a manga section, so I started buying manga from them instead and this was back around 2001-2002. The first manga graphic novel I ever bought was the last volume of the Sailor Moon manga, which sadly has fallen apart from Mixxzine's crappy binding. The first manga series I ever completed was MKR and the first manga I read that didn't have an anime adaptation was Wish.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 29