• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Question for dub lovers.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UKfan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:04 am Reply with quote
This isn't about the dub/sub debate, and is purely aimed at those people who prefer to watch most of their anime dubbed.

The question is "Have you ever felt the need to go against the norm and watch an anime subbed, and why?"

It finally happened to me yesterday. Even though I watch everything that has a dub available, in English, I had to switch to the Japanese track and watch something subbed instead.

The culprits were the two Patlabor movies.

I've just finished watching Patlabor the Original Files, Patlabor on TV and Patlabor the New Files, and I really enjoyed them. As the LE versions of the movies are quite far down on my list. I decided to pick up the old Manga double pack release 2nd-hand rather than wait till I got round to the LE versions.

After 10 minutes I had to switch to the Japanese track as the voice actors sounded nothing like the ones CPM used. I just couldn't listen to them as they just weren't the characters I was used to. With the last 2 discs of the New Files being in Japanese anyway and the CPM voices sounding pretty close to the Japanese ones in my opinion I found it much less disturbing to watch the films subbed rather than dubbed, as I could at least relate the voices and tones to the characters. With the Manga dub it was like they were just pretenders who looked like the characters I loved, it's like when someone leaves during a TV series and they swap a new actor in and pretend it's the same person, it just doesn't work. Sad

I've got my fingers crossed that the new dub for the re-releases sounds closer to that of the TV series and OVA's or I'll have to watch them subbed as well.

So fellow dub lovers, have you ever had this happen to you?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:10 am Reply with quote
Space Firebird 2772 from Madman Ent., as the dub was probably produced in Japan and sounded utterly horrible.

Just about all of the Gundam franchise, since they're forever using the same Canadian group and only ever making one take per line as they're often rush-jobs (plus there's no dub consistency for Gundam).

And just about everything by ADV simply because I don't like how they do things. This is probably in part to the fact that they reuse actors so constantly that AoD has a "guess which of our limited stock of actors are going to be in XX show!" contests, which I honestly think is sad in some way (like you know how predictable you are, but rather than do something about it, you revel in it).
God Gundam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:24 am Reply with quote
I know Steve Blum and David Hayter (Solid Snake) were in it, but the dub of The Guyver OVAs was absolutely terrible aside from those two.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:24 am Reply with quote
I had the same problem with Saiyuki. After watching the whole first season (12 volumes), and the movie done by ADV I was very upset when I heard the Saiyuki Reload had been picked up by Geneon. After that long with the same voices the news ones just didn't sound right. They made Hakkai sound like a whiny gay 14 year old highschooler. Sanzo sounds like he has lung cancer and is 50 years old! They even made all of Kougaji's (wrong spelling I'm sure) group sound bad. The only ones that don't sound that bad are Goku, and Gojo. I normally don't have a problem with Geneon, though I do prefer ADV and Funimations voice acting better generally, but this was just bad. After watching each volume in english I had to go back and watch the sub version or my head would've exploded. I am reluctant to even start Saiyuki Reload Gunlock now. Why did they have to do that to such a good series?
God Gundam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:27 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Just about all of the Gundam franchise, since they're forever using the same Canadian group and only ever making one take per line as they're often rush-jobs (plus there's no dub consistency for Gundam).

Actually, Ocean and the subpar Blue Water only do the major series (like MSG and Zeta), while the spinoffs (08th Team, 0083, etc.) are done in LA.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:57 am Reply with quote
I did the same thing with Yu Yu Hakusho the movie because I was used to the VAs from the tv show.
x_Hisoka_x

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:10 am Reply with quote
I hate the Naruto dub terribly but I guess that comes with me watching subs before the dub came out.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:37 am Reply with quote
The most horrendous overall dub I have ever heard so far was "Strange Dawn" from Madman Ent. A complete pile of shyte heaped with lack luster performances, badly casted voices including an eclectic mix of accents from round the world. Badly timed lipsync of a script that made no sense where characters mouths still moved well after the VA had stopped speaking. Unfortunatly I saw this on our Channel 5 so couldn't flip over to the sub. They could have call it "Strange Dub".
biliano

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
And just about everything by ADV simply because I don't like how they do things. This is probably in part to the fact that they reuse actors so constantly that AoD has a "guess which of our limited stock of actors are going to be in XX show!" contests, which I honestly think is sad in some way (like you know how predictable you are, but rather than do something about it, you revel in it).

Those Guessing Games on the AoD forum are fun! Frustrating, but fun. Wink
halochief_90

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I wanted to watch the Akira sub after trying to watch it English. Gah! However, dubs are infamous for sucking and having amateur actors in the earlier days of anime, most of the dubs given out today I find to superior to subs, and there really only seems to be a few examples that harken back to the earlier days (*cough*One Piece*cough*)...
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:43 pm Reply with quote
UKfan wrote:
The question is "Have you ever felt the need to go against the norm and watch an anime subbed, and why?"

I too am I mostly a dub kind of guy, but I do watch a decent amount sub from time to time. That said the most recent anime that comes to my mind is Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo.

I had originally watch the series fansub so when it was being released in R1 I bought the first volume (With that cool looking artbox) and quickly threw it in the DVD player......Well the dub isn't bad, quite frankly it just not in the same league as the original japanese. Not only that there were a few things that there change in the dub (opening sequence) that originally made me a bit upset with the dub version.

That said I am still a dub akind of guy, but from time to time I do enjoy a sub version of a show. Normally when I am watching a DVD I will sample both, by changing the audio from English to Japanese.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
rajamitsu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:54 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
I had the same problem with Saiyuki. After watching the whole first season (12 volumes), and the movie done by ADV I was very upset when I heard the Saiyuki Reload had been picked up by Geneon. After that long with the same voices the news ones just didn't sound right. They made Hakkai sound like a whiny gay 14 year old highschooler. Sanzo sounds like he has lung cancer and is 50 years old! They even made all of Kougaji's (wrong spelling I'm sure) group sound bad. The only ones that don't sound that bad are Goku, and Gojo.

Ugh, agreed. Tho' I liked Hakkai's new voice. I was kinda hoping they'd choose Braden Hunt when I found out they were changing the cast. I'd guessed Lex Lang for Gojyo rather than Sanzo. I really don't like Goku's new voice. IMO, he sounds like he's trying too hard to sound like Greg Ayres. (While I wasn't too impressed with Reload, there's one reason I'm going for Gunlock: Hazel. Wink)
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:39 pm Reply with quote
On several occassions. First example that comes to mind is the Crest/Banner of the Stars series. While the dub was at least tolerable, it was pretty poor and I just watch the sub unless I'm really lazy or am doing something else at the same time as I'm watching it. The dub was just all around poor, from main characters to minor characters, and while there were a few minor characters that were dubbed effectively, they were few and far between.

Akira is another example. Not so much because the voice acting was bad, although it wasn't great either, but also because the script was way off and you miss a lot of the elements through the dub.

Another example is Final Fantasy: Unlimited, the male leads voice was just plain awful. Although even the sub couldn't save this series as it had no shortage of problems beyond the dub performances.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
God Gundam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:09 pm Reply with quote
rajamitsu wrote:
I was kinda hoping they'd choose Braden Hunt when I found out they were changing the cast.

Braden Hunt works for ADV, so there's no way he would be in an LA dub.
rajamitsu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:20 pm Reply with quote
God Gundam wrote:
rajamitsu wrote:
I was kinda hoping they'd choose Braden Hunt when I found out they were changing the cast.

Braden Hunt works for ADV, so there's no way he would be in an LA dub.

Embarassed I meant Steve Cannon. This is why I shouldn't post while pre-occupied.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10