• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Time and Eternity

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:56 am Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:

Speak for yourself Confused Story and characters are part of a game to me especially in an RPG. I wouldn't care one bit about Chrono Trigger if the setting, story, characters, and everything else was terrible or unappealing to me. A lot of the time those go hand in hand with the game-play, from the aesthetics of characters in your party to their combat style and a buncha other stuff. Saying story and characters have little place in games so it's okay to throw something unremarkable out there is why the industry is so terrible right now. If I don't care one bit about the story or characters in an RPG I generally end up giving up on them like I did games like Skyrim which bored me to tears with its bland story and characters.

No shit you didn't like Skyrim, you're not supposed to care about the story. If you're not playing Skyrim on the PC with tons of mods, you're not playing the game the correct way. It's a sandbox for a reason.

Also not every game needs a story, many good games have excuse plots or are plotless (see: 90% of platformers and racing games).

Wait a minute why the hell am I lowering myself to your level by attempting to engage in discussion with you?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:13 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
@BonusStage The reason the industry is terrible is because people like YOU play games for reasons outside their intention, like storytelling and graphics, rather than gameplay and level design. Gameplay comes first, no matter what genre of game a game happens to be. Simple as. Also, I'm not surprised you'd say Skyrim sucks. Given your track record of showing disdain of anything not from Japan, I can't say I'm surprised with that. one bit.

I'm sure people appreciate you telling them how to play video games. What's funny is I grew up on the Atari days and have a completely opposite view. Sure, games like Mario and Rockman had little, simplistic stories, but they still had amazing aesthetic design and appealing characters that are memorable and iconic. Not to mention even back then I preferred RPGs like Lufia, Suikoden, and Final Fantasy. And if you're going to insits that games back then didn't focus on graphics either, then you haven't payed attention to them. Games have always been pushing better graphics; the difference is most modern games confuse graphics with 'how realistic this bald space marine's shaven head looks' rather than how appealing something looks. Once you hit the NES day, games like Ninja Gaiden which incorporated cutscenes and story into gameplay were making the rise and setting the standard. To simply say games didn't strive or focus on graphics and story back then is totally false and makes me think you didn't pay attention to how the industry was shaping back then.

I know it's pointless to ask, but do you see any irony in you saying "X aspect of a game doesn't matter to me as long as Y aspect exists" but are disapproving of other people saying "Y aspect of a game doesn't matter so much to me as long as X aspect exists"

Also, how do you apparently know someone's track record for someone who joined 3 days ago and who's one their first posts was aimed at me like you had some kind of long-seeded vendetta?

Chagen46 wrote:
If you're not playing Skyrim on the PC with tons of mods, you're not playing the game the correct way.

So the only way to enjoy it is to play it with a bunch of unofficial mods? I guess that explains why I didn't like it. For some odd reason I thought it was the developer's job to make the game fun. But here it turns out it's suppose to be the unofficial third-party support that makes a game good.

And could you please knock off the elitist attitude for once and talk to someone like they're a human being and not a cur underneath your glorious aristocratic boot?
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote
@TitanXL Seems like you weren't born back in the NES days, were you? Back in the day, the most noteworthy point of Ninja Gaiden was the insane difficulty and in the case of 3, restarting the entire game again even if you die at 6-2. Yeah, the cutscenes looked pleasing, but I don't think that's the reason why most Americans loved the franchise. It was the array of weapon powerups, the fast paced gameplay, the intricate level designs, the smooth, silky, responsive controls, the challenging atmosphere, which made even Mario's 8th world in the worst few stages of Gaiden look like child's play. Mario and Rockman/Megaman are iconic characters, because the gameplay of both series were/are revolutionary and the case of Rockman, the powerups and once again, level design. In the case of why we Yanks love the X(or at least the first 4) series, it wasn't because of the darker tone, or the cheesy voice acting, but because it took a great thing from the original games and multiplied the quality by 10 times. Also, games back then cared more about gameplay and the game than they do today. E.G Street Fighter II. Now look at BlazBlue. It tries too hard to tell a decent story and the gameplay is just a poor man's Guilty Gear. I also hate fighting games with too much damage scaling. And no, it's not ironic, because the Y aspect for my stance is what you should be striving for in all video games. Just because a game is an RPG doesn't mean story, voice acting and graphics should take precedence. Look at Super Mario RPG or the numerous Mario RPGs. All are gameplay based and sold a shit ton in the US and Japan. RPG did about 600,000 in a time were JRPGs were even more niche than they are now in North America.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I'd rather they take the bares bones animation budget and make a School Days type of game.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I'd rather they take the bares bones animation budget and make a School Days type of game.

Isn't School Days just a visual novel?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Isn't School Days just a visual novel?

Its an eroge thats done in animation style instead of still pictures.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:18 pm Reply with quote
*looks it up*

The hell? How'd they get the budget for even simple animation like that?

EDIT: Well, there isn't much animation to begin with...but still, it just seems like not much of an increase of highly-detailed sprites.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7