• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Trigger's Little Witch Academia 2 Meets Kickstarter Goal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
I would also say that LWA doesn't seem 'moe' or 'fanservicey' enough to appeal to hardcore Japanese otaku. Visually and stylistically there's a very cartoony feel to the OVA, and it also seems to carry a number of tropes and sensibilities that were more popular in previous generations of anime. In that sense, I think it may have a broader appeal with the Western fandom than Japanese otaku.

Or, you know, you are working under flawed assumptions.

Just a thought.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
I just want to know where this many anime fans came up with this huge amount money so quickly. Hell I don't spend more 1000 dollars a year on dvd'/blurays I can not fathom people donating that much for a animation project.

It's called a "job."

Only 15 people donated that much. The vast, vast majority of people pledged in the $20-100 range, with another ~200 in the $200-300 (that's what we see for the tiers anyway; it's possible for people to donate more than that or donate money and not pick one of the rewards at all).

None of that is a substantial amount of money for someone with a decent job and few obligations or kids to take care of, or even someone with a family and with a good job or even just a decent entertainment budget and/or not much else to spend on in that category. I also know some people who drop $1000+ on anime stuff a month. They might be a minority, but they surely exist so it's not a huge stretch to see a dozen of them that would spend money on this.

This has also really, really grabbed people's interest and willingness to spend money. I've seen several people say that this is the first time they've spent money on anime in years. If it could get people who otherwise don't buy anime at all to spend it, it's not a huge stretch to see people who do spend money shelling out more than usual.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:12 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
I just want to know where this many anime fans came up with this huge amount money so quickly. Hell I don't spend more 1000 dollars a year on dvd'/blurays I can not fathom people donating that much for a animation project.

It's called a "job."

Only 15 people donated that much. The vast, vast majority of people pledged in the $20-100 range, with another ~200 in the $200-300 (that's what we see for the tiers anyway; it's possible for people to donate more than that or donate money and not pick one of the rewards at all).

None of that is a substantial amount of money for someone with a decent job and few obligations or kids to take care of, or even someone with a family and with a good job or even just a decent entertainment budget and/or not much else to spend on in that category. I also know some people who drop $1000+ on anime stuff a month. They might be a minority, but they surely exist so it's not a huge stretch to see a dozen of them that would spend money on this.

This has also really, really grabbed people's interest and willingness to spend money. I've seen several people say that this is the first time they've spent money on anime in years. If it could get people who otherwise don't buy anime at all to spend it, it's not a huge stretch to see people who do spend money shelling out more than usual.

Those type of jobs must be nice, I'm not saying it's bad thing but I only make around 10,000 dollars a year. I'm living by the skin of my gums each month blah blah blah personal b.s. To those who have donated so much money to this project I truly thank you, I can-not wait to watch more of this series later on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:17 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Yikes, those remarks are nasty. The illiterate and lazy one is like, really dude, why go that far? Are these /a/ crowdfunders? Such hate.

It does kinda kill my enthusiasm over the support this project is getting when I see a lotta weaboos are the ones backing it up :p

Dont get me wrong, I still support this, Im glad its getting made and that it will probably reach a lot of stretch goals to make it better. But unlike with Time of Eve when I felt that everyone backing it were all really cool and patient, this makes me feel like Im walking in, handing in my contribution, then going out to wait outside while all the other supporters stay in lol

I dont mind the preference of sub over dub, I've even said I dont think a dub should be the focus. The militant nature of attacking a dub that doesnt even exist, all cause they have some kinda personal vendetta against them like it will destroy the anime (even tho subs can be switched on easily and really doesnt affect them at all) is what bugs me
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:00 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
HeeroTX wrote:
I think it's awesome that it's doing this well and I'm glad to be supporting this effort, but it also seems notable to me that:
-Kick-Heart went 30 days and got $201k
-Time of Eve went 30 days and for $215k
-Little Witch Academia is over $200k in less than 24 hrs

I note that because Kick-Heart was obviously an "indie 'art piece" kind of flick and was even noted as the director wanting to be experimental. Time of Eve is more conventional but also more "mundane". "Little Witch Academia" is very "cute".

And this is why Japanese anime studios aim squarely at the otaku market with many things. I think Academia can have wide appeal, but it's not the "mainstream" ponying up $100+ donations to the cause.

I think it has more to do with the projects situation themselves.

-Kick-Heart is essentially a 10 minute indie film festival bait. Not much appeal to anime fans outside those kind of 'animation connoisseurs'.
-Time of Eve was for an R1 release, which the movie was already available subbed online for awhile. So it was really only for people who wanted to own a physical copy. I think that's also Anime Sols problem, some of that stuff you can get online already and it seems like it's just for an R1 release. Plus it's older anime which fans tend to have a bias against because it doesn't look as pretty.

Little Witch is the first 'normal' anime project that involves making a new episode. Basicaly, if no one donates, they will not see any more Little Witch, so 'I can just watch the free sub online' isn't an option like it was with Eve, and unlike Kick-Heart it's something that appeals to more than just arthouse critics. I'm not surprised it's doing so well in comparison to those projects.

Well after Zac, Justin, and Mike's comments on the latest podcast, I can tell you that as someone who's not particularly artsy I'd really like to see Kick Heart.

Anyway, I think the single most important factor underpinning the LWA Kickstarter's incredible success is the fact that it emerged from the success of an earlier prototype. Episode 1 allowed Trigger to demonstrate their abilities for prospective consumers to sample. They effectively empowered people to "try before buying", which is pretty much always excellent incentive--regardless of the content market being targeted. I think they could've done something completely different with the Anime Mirai money to begin with, and they still would've been similarly successful on Kickstarter (provided whatever they produced was compelling, of course).

In other words, Trigger's campaign has offered the best of both the Kick Heart and Time of EVE projects: a product people already know and love, and the intent to produce more of it.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:

It does kinda kill my enthusiasm over the support this project is getting when I see a lotta weaboos are the ones backing it up :p

don't get me wrong, I still support this, Im glad its getting made and that it will probably reach a lot of stretch goals to make it better. But unlike with Time of Eve when I felt that everyone backing it were all really cool and patient, this makes me feel like Im walking in, handing in my contribution, then going out to wait outside while all the other supporters stay in lol

I don't mind the preference of sub over dub, I've even said I don't think a dub should be the focus. The militant nature of attacking a dub that doesnt even exist, all cause they have some kinda personal vendetta against them like it will destroy the anime (even tho subs can be switched on easily and really doesnt affect them at all) is what bugs me

You said it man. This is exactly what I think.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Great, more people encouraging online panhandling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:32 pm Reply with quote
How is it panhandling when people are getting something for their money? Get your head out of your ass and shove it in the 21st century. This is simply a new way to finance things, Grandpa.
SwerveCity

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I would quite like a dub in the end because I think this could be rather popular. But I don't think this is the time or place for it. I donated money so I could have a longer, better animated Little Witch Academia, as that's what was in the kickstarter profile, adding other goals distorts that initial idea.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see this be dubbed, but there's an obvious peculiarity of dubbing just the second episode and there is a slight 'biting the hand that feeds you' problem from dubbing it into English, but not French, Spanish or other languages. Without knowing the finances of production and their future plans, it's hard to assess the idea. Even so, I can understand why it wouldn't be a priority and while the idea came to mind as soon as I heard about this campaign, I don't think it should be considered anything more than a possible lagniappe.

I would really be very interested in seeing donation statistics to see how many people donated how much by country. They're going for a broad reach and I'd like to know what they got.

TitanXL wrote:
...Basically, if no one donates, they will not see any more Little Witch...

In a way, this is how normal product works, but a Kickstarter campaign like this removes some intermediaries and reduces risks. Most productions are premised upon the idea that if nobody gives it money they won't get to see the product, but the producers can't know in advance if they will pay. Hence the sounding out of interest and market research that precedes productions. Kickstarter mitigates that uncertainty by shifting more of the risk to consumers. There's less risk that the production won't at least break even for the people making it, but the risk that the money paid won't yield the desired results is raised for the consumers since they are taking a chance that product will satisfy their expectations with very limited information to inform that chance. This could be great for niche products with limited audiences since it can reduce unsuccessful, financially wasteful productions, but the consequences to consumers, well, funders are maybe a little trickier. I also worry that there's a 'cap' on how much funding exists for these sorts of projects. At this point, there's not that much to evaluate it by.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Considering it's unknown how many more episodes of the show will be produced, I'd think it would be more cost-effective and produce a more consistent overall dub if they created an english-language track for a final collection release, instead of in episode-by-episode chunks.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:35 pm Reply with quote
As I type this: 3500 backers for LWA 2 and 276k+. The success is just extraordinary. In terms of supporters and money the project's already past Time of Eve and Kick-Heart. It's not inconceivable this could end up the most successful animation-related project on Kickstarter.

Last edited by GWOtaku on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Considering it's unknown how many more episodes of the show will be produced, I'd think it would be more cost-effective and produce a more consistent overall dub if they created an english-language track for a final collection release, instead of in episode-by-episode chunks.

Kinda my thoughts on that too.
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:41 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
articulate and concise, of which I have shown nothing but

"I have shown articulate and concise". Please, twisting a nonsensical sentence around itself doesn't somehow dazzle with intellect. You don't show adjectives, you show nouns. Sorry, let me try that your way: "One rather than shows a verb a noun is of which gets showinged".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8