• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Trigger's Little Witch Academia 2 Meets Kickstarter Goal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:16 pm Reply with quote
BL wrote:
It does not look like I will be pledging to this after all. Base on the comments of Trigger_Tattun tweets it appears he does not care for dubs. Also, it appears they probably were not planning to do a dub anyways because he is talking about doing a survey so see if people want the dub.

This'll probably get licensed too then get a dub later anyways. It's an unfinished product - they should work on finishing the product first. If this becomes a short series or a feature-length combination with the first ep, then a dub would make more business sense since it's easier for the licensee to sell a series or a feature film with a dub, than when it was just an half-hour OVA.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Am I mistaken in thinking that this has overlaped the combined contributions of AnimeSols' Crowdfunding efforts?
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:50 pm Reply with quote
There's a debate about having a dub (as a stretch goal) raging on the actual kickstarter page. I think this is my favorite comment from that discussion:
Quote:
If you add a dub, please prioritize Mandarin Chinese and Spanish over English so that you can reach the biggest audience possible. I would really appreciate this since my native language is Spanish.

Considering the kickstarter includes information in Spanish and French, I DO think it's a little egotistical for American fans to expect English be prioritized over anything else (besides Japanese).
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Am I mistaken in thinking that this has overlaped the combined contributions of AnimeSols' Crowdfunding efforts?

From what I've heard, yes, it's vastly exceeded it.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:28 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
There's a debate about having a dub (as a stretch goal) raging on the actual kickstarter page. I think this is my favorite comment from that discussion:
Quote:
If you add a dub, please prioritize Mandarin Chinese and Spanish over English so that you can reach the biggest audience possible. I would really appreciate this since my native language is Spanish.

Considering the kickstarter includes information in Spanish and French, I DO think it's a little egotistical for American fans to expect English be prioritized over anything else (besides Japanese).

Is the Spanish-speaking market really that much larger than the English-speaking one? For that matter, which dialect would be used for the Spanish dub?

Hell, would the Chinese-speaking market even care about a dub to begin with?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
because you fellas keep situating the argument in a context of "Japanese fans = barometer of good taste and success in business" and treat the relative popularity of LWA overseas as a failure to capture those Japanese fans rather than an indication of ability to resound with audiences worldwide, which is.... kinda needlessly negative and boring womp womp wommmmppp.

Who said anything about "barometer of good taste"? People are just responding to person who asked if Japan actually cared about it from that 'cancer script' comment, so people did. It is an answer to a question, nothing more. And it makes a bit of sense, given Trigger is the kind of company who seems more like American fans would like them more (Panty and Stocking, Inferno Cop, etc) since they tend to parodies/homages of western animation, which American fans would be more familiar with and maybe appreciate more. It remains to be seen if a more traditional project like Kill-la-Kill will be successful with Japanese audiences.

HeeroTX wrote:
I think it's awesome that it's doing this well and I'm glad to be supporting this effort, but it also seems notable to me that:
-Kick-Heart went 30 days and got $201k
-Time of Eve went 30 days and for $215k
-Little Witch Academia is over $200k in less than 24 hrs

I note that because Kick-Heart was obviously an "indie 'art piece" kind of flick and was even noted as the director wanting to be experimental. Time of Eve is more conventional but also more "mundane". "Little Witch Academia" is very "cute".

And this is why Japanese anime studios aim squarely at the otaku market with many things. I think Academia can have wide appeal, but it's not the "mainstream" ponying up $100+ donations to the cause.

I think it has more to do with the projects situation themselves.

-Kick-Heart is essentially a 10 minute indie film festival bait. Not much appeal to anime fans outside those kind of 'animation connoisseurs'.
-Time of Eve was for an R1 release, which the movie was already available subbed online for awhile. So it was really only for people who wanted to own a physical copy. I think that's also Anime Sols problem, some of that stuff you can get online already and it seems like it's just for an R1 release. Plus it's older anime which fans tend to have a bias against because it doesn't look as pretty.

Little Witch is the first 'normal' anime project that involves making a new episode. Basicaly, if no one donates, they will not see any more Little Witch, so 'I can just watch the free sub online' isn't an option like it was with Eve, and unlike Kick-Heart it's something that appeals to more than just arthouse critics. I'm not surprised it's doing so well in comparison to those projects.
Momokochan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how much money I have given Good Smile company by now...*reflects upon life decisions*
I hope, however, now that they are helping this project that they get some nendoroids though.
totoum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Basicaly, if no one donates, they will not see any more Little Witch

Maybe people jumped to this conclusion but the video on kickstarter clearly states that they were already planning to make a 2nd OVA, so we'd have gotten more little witches even if no one had donated,the 150,000 was for an extra 15 minutes on top of what they had planned.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:56 pm Reply with quote
There's a debate going on now and I'm firmly on the side of the /a/ no dub proponents, not because of any hate (even though I'm mostly a sub watcher, though I do think there are some good dubs), but just to prioritize content. It's sad to see people demanding English dubs at this early production stage, when it costs a lot of money are there isn't a fully fleshed out, finished show (ova/tv/etc) yet!

It was clear from the outset that the pledge was for an extra 15 mins of content. I expect the funding to decelerate a bit now after the initial hype, but they should be able to raise enough to make this 15 mins into 20 mins for ep 3 and very likely ep 4... IF they do not waste the funds on dubs

Besides why the US/English-centric demands for dubs but other international backers can tolerate not having dubs at this point? Smile
Quote:
Eduardo Esteban Valdes Recabarren less than a minute ago

Spanish speeker at the keyboard!... writing in english just for you to not understand a thing.
Well, just say I love LWA 1 too and I hope you success with this, you know, this is a bigger proyect you have there, because it is not only the animation, but also demostration of a new way of making animation with the support of fans.
That apart, we spanish speakers love (and yes, we really LOVE) japanese speak, so you can go sure for subtitles and no dub for spanish.
Well, see you next proyect Very Happy
And I know I need gramatica lessons, sorry.

Quote:
Américo Santos less than a minute ago

I'm from Brazil and i speak portuguese. Now i'm here to ask to you guys to include portuguese subtitles on litle witch academia 2 as a strech goal. If possible to you guys to include portuguese subtitles on the litle witch academia too. You guys don't need to bother about money because many fansubs and i included would do that for free you guys just have to let us do. And also don't bother with portuguese dub because anime fans usually prefers to watch anime in japanese because your dub work is way better than our.

Sorry for the bad english.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm one that would like to see a dub, but I understand that the actual production comes first in terms of money. But if, say, they got enough to do everything they wanted with the episode and had the money to do a dub, I think it could be really good.

LWA has shown it can get an audience among western viewers already, and a Dub would allow it to be streamed in places besides Crunchyroll/Youtube, and open it up to a wider audience. And thus, maybe open up room for another project like this kickstarter.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:14 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

-Time of Eve was for an R1 release

International release by a Japanese company =! R1. Directions, Inc. is handling the production.

If it was in R1 hands I would be awaiting a review because of potential audio/video fuq ups (ie: they wouldn't have got the $145 out of me so easily) ;p
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Thinking about it now, I dont think a dub should even be a stretch goal, since this is about making the episode. I wonder if it would be possible for after this is made, another company could possibly license it later down the line and make a dub themselves and make their own release. I'd be down for that.

Since were discussing other countries and other languages and how they dont want an English dub cause it means nothing for them, maybe this way, a North American company could handle a dub for any here who would want it. I hope that could be an option for down the line, or a licenser would be interested if the license was available
BL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:27 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
There's a debate going on now and I'm firmly on the side of the /a/ no dub proponents, not because of any hate (even though I'm mostly a sub watcher, though I do think there are some good dubs), but just to prioritize content. It's sad to see people demanding English dubs at this early production stage, when it costs a lot of money are there isn't a fully fleshed out, finished show (ova/tv/etc) yet!

It was clear from the outset that the pledge was for an extra 15 mins of content. I expect the funding to decelerate a bit now after the initial hype, but they should be able to raise enough to make this 15 mins into 20 mins for ep 3 and very likely ep 4... IF they do not waste the funds on dubs

Besides why the US/English-centric demands for dubs but other international backers can tolerate not having dubs at this point? Smile

I have been following this project from the beginning since last night and I have not seen anyone demanding a dub. The sub fans from the very beginning started demanding there be no dub the way they have been carrying on it's as if dubs are evil and it will infect the show. All I have seen is people requesting they consider a stretch goal for a dub then having to defend and justify a dub.

I have also seen everyone who wants a dub acknowledges there should only be a stretch goal specifically for it. And last I checked US isn't the only please that speaks English but let’s blame everything on US let’s not stop to think that maybe just maybe other English speaking countries could also want dub. The irrationality towards dubs is sad it is also sad how vile some of the pledgers have been. However, somehow people asking to consider a dub are in the wrong and should be ashamed of themselves they are so selfish. How dear they not consider other languages that could also request and support their own dubs too the same way English dub fans are doing but no it’s the selfish English-speaking fault.

I'll leave you with some of the comments about dubs that have been posted.

"And of course, like any good fan, I would also hate to see disgusting American voice 'actors' be allowed to touch such a wonderful work of art."

"If you like English voice actors then watch western shows, there's plenty of them."

"No point whatsoever. Spending a considerable amount of money on a dub to please the illiterate and/or lazy is a joke. It's also a spit in the face to backers who aren't English speakers."

"Because the stretch goal could be used for something that improves the quality of the product, Oneup, rather than one that decreases the quality of the product, i.e an English language dub track"

"All of this extra money and you want to waste it on something that will just degrade the show because you're too damn lazy to read subtitles. It's disappointing."

"A dub doesn't add value, and, arguably detracts value since you won't be hearing what the director envisioned and instead some fourth-rate subsititute. That isn't even getting to the heart of the matter (seiyuu actually being an sustainable dedicated industry in the East, whereas in the the West you have the same 5~ actor dropouts voicing everyone).

Any sane man would prefer higher quality or longer length to the addition of such barbarism."

"I know for a fact that most of the backers of this project are English speaking people, but what ever you do, do not English Dub LWA 2 keep the original Japanese voice actors form LWA and put English subs. Give the middle finger to all the English dubbers and crash a plane into funimation."

"Anyone that watches with dubs doesn't appreciate anime. Having the voices so off the mouth movements ruins the whole thing artistically. Just stick with lots of different subs. That and I'd rather my money go to you brilliant artists and not a bunch of mediocre voice actors (sorry to all of the actually decent dubbers out there)."

I am not even going to bother with facebook comments it's the samething
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Yikes, those remarks are nasty. The illiterate and lazy one is like, really dude, why go that far? Are these /a/ crowdfunders? Such hate.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I just want to know where this many anime fans came up with this huge amount money so quickly. Hell I don't spend more 1000 dollars a year on dvd'/blurays I can not fathom people donating that much for a animation project.

Please don't be mistaken I fully support this project but I don't have the huge amounts of money, to throw at kick-starter like other donors do.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8