• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Character(s) you wish never died

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Manga/Anime.

This is an interesting one, but for me after reading and watching the series, I wish that spoiler[Honda Katsuya and Honda Kyoko ]of Fruits Basket spoiler[didn't have to die, because they were so happy together. The sad thing about their relationship was that almost all of the Honda family was against it, save for Katsuya's dad. Kyoko herself had led a hard life because she'd been a yankee, and she got thrown out of her home when she finished middle school. What it gets down to is that they were so perfect for each other, were ready to raise a family, and then sickness and a car accident takes them both away from Tohru. ]

Last edited by fighterholic on Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:44 pm Reply with quote
You really need to state what series you are talking about and spoiler tag the the names as giving away the names is the biggest spoiler (when and how is usually less important). Heck, just spoiler tag everything after the series name.
x_Hisoka_x

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I wish that, in Samurai Champloo, spoiler[Shinsuke ( I think that was his name Confused ) didn't die. It was sad because, although he was a thief, he was stealing to make money to pay for his mothers medicine. I thought he deserved to live. He was one of my favourite characters in the show.]
Enjeru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Mahoromatic- spoiler[Mahoro's death was inevitable and sad, but it really screwed Suguru up. Of course there is debate about what happens in the last episode **did she really come back or not and all**.]

Saishu Heiki Kanojo-spoiler[ uh...everyone Sad. Very depressing.]

Robotech- spoiler[Roy Fokker. It came out of nowhere and it was the first time I had ever seen an animated character die.]
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Figure 17 - spoiler[Hikaru, definitely Hikaru, I don't think any characters death in a series had so much an effect on me. It wasn't just her character or her importance but also the circumstances and the scene of her death that really kicked the impact up a notch. I really don't see how things could have gone on with her around, and it probably was what had to happen, but it was still very sad to see her go, especially since Tsubasa really wasn't the most stable child and Hikaru really helped her with that.]

Chrono Crusade - spoiler[Rosette's death was certainly a sad one. After all she had been through and how hard she fought, only to go out like that and for Aion to just return. Her death just felt so unnecessary and empty.]

FMA - spoiler[Seems to be a common one, but I'll agree, but Hughes. He was such a likable character that was a key component to most the social circles in the anime. His death was not only the loss of a great and charismatic character, but a huge loss to most of the key players in the series as well so the effect was profound on multiple levels.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:44 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
You really need to state what series you are talking about and spoiler tag the the names as giving away the names is the biggest spoiler

Agreed, you should probably edit your post......

Monster spoiler[Definetly one of the toughest moment for me was Grimmer, his actual death along with Lunge at his tombstone. It's such a tragedy that such a great man who went through hell had to die when he finally had his emotions. ]

Fullmetal Alchemist spoiler[Do I have play my Maes card? That scene always gets me, and it's not his daughter (although that is sad) that makes me so sad. It's Mustang with his "It's going to rain today" comment. And Maes had everything to look forward to, a chance to get Roy "to the top" a daughter that needed to be taken care of. And the Elric brothers who could of used his guidance.]

Gundam Wing spoiler[Mister Trieze, how important you were. And how tough it was to see ya go. I still love that finally battle against Wufei, it's so fitting of an ending for Trieze. ]

Those are some of the characters that I wish didn't have to go.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
undeadben

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:51 pm Reply with quote
One of the saddest moments for me in Scrapped Princess spoiler[was seeing Fulle die. He was one of my favorite characters in that series and his death took me completely off guard. I was still hoping it wasn't so all the way to the end. ]

Another one would be from Air TV, spoiler[Misuzu at the end, that one makes me want to cry just thinking about it. But this one was obviously important to the overall storyline, yet still again it left me with that 'say it isn't so' feeling.] Weird how one gets attatched to fictional characters.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Chrono Crusade - spoiler[Rosette's death was certainly a sad one. After all she had been through and how hard she fought, only to go out like that and for Aion to just return. Her death just felt so unnecessary and empty.]

Really? I always felt that spoiler[Rosette death was sad but it's was powerful and necessary. It was the comittment to Chrno and that there time was connected, a la when Rosette times is up so to that of Chrno. As for Aion return, it's the necessary reminder that we can never truly destroy evil. And that there is always a balance between good and evil. ]
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, I'm really for all the death in anime. Not because I enjoy watching it or anything, but because of the depth and realism it can add to shows. What I don't appreciate is when the writers hit that fabled "reset button" and just make everything back to normal with some contrived and forced concept (I'm looking at you My-Hime and Negima). Not all shows deserve a happy ending, but if it has one, it'd better make sense rather than be "because".

Having said that, I can think of one immediate exception: Gantz spoiler[I don't even remember her name, but they killed her and everyone like 2/3 through the series and left him by himself. That was a really depressing anime.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:33 am Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
Having said that, I can think of one immediate exception: Gantz spoiler[I don't even remember her name, but they killed her and everyone like 2/3 through the series and left him by himself. That was a really depressing anime.]

Really you were upset about her and him? Seems like you aren't considering you can't remember their names. That said about Gantz spoiler[Katou (Kurono friend from school) is one guy that was killed along with the female that was Kishimoto.]
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:34 am Reply with quote
Most death I've seen in anime was necessary and very well played out. I dont really have many that I wish to have never died. I do have many that I wish would stay dead though, for the sake of the story of course. I dont actually hate the characters.

If I have to name one, it would be from Escaflowne, episode 3, when the general dies. He had potential to be a great mentor character. It was a shame they killed him out right there.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:57 am Reply with quote
The only one that comes into mind for me right now would be spoiler[Tiz,] from Jyu Oh Sei, with that being the most recent title I've watched with this topic in mind. spoiler[A stray member of of one of the clans(?) shoots at Zagi from out of nowhere, & Tiz, for some reason, jumps in front of Zagi, taking the hit & eventually dying. Her death seemed so meaningless to me. She was quite a likable character too (IMO at least). After so long, Tiz can finally do what she set out to do from the very beginning, to bear Thor's child. & then she dies?? Surprised I really didn't see much of a point to it, especially since we don't really see any chracter development out of it (particularly from Thor). She was also my fave character in the series too. AHHH.]
papa john

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:15 am Reply with quote
only 2 i can think of are:

fma spoiler[this one makes me really sad, the sewing life alchemist transmuted his doughter with the dog, and the kid was so cute too (i hated his reason for doing that) and scar comes along and finds the "creature" and then decides to put it out of its suffering and kills it. that episode i think was one of the sadest I've ever seen, i mean a father who would do that to his child. Anime cry ]

evangelion spoiler[ the final angel just happens to be gay and falls in love with shingi. shingi is faced with the decision to kill his new best friend and save earth or let him live and earth is lost Sad so shingi has no choice but to kill him.. and since he's in his eva and holding the angel in its hand the only way to kill him was to squish him Neutral and you can hear him be crushed.. that was also pretty sad because shingi and the angel seemed to have allot in common.. more so then with any other character in the show.. vary sad, it could have been his last chance at love.. also from the same series, rei ayanami i think blowes herself up in an attempt to save earth.. but utterly fails in the attempt and wonder boy shingi makes it just in time, as usual. but rei i guess has o ton of clones so she might have died before and i never noticed.. and again rei also would have been a good match for shingi.. so sad Anime cry]

sorry for it being so long Sad
papa john

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:22 am Reply with quote
sorry double post, it said it didn't post. then the website went down. so i just figured neither of them posted last night Sad

Last edited by papa john on Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:42 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Figure 17 - spoiler[Hikaru, definitely Hikaru, I don't think any characters death in a series had so much an effect on me. It wasn't just her character or her importance but also the circumstances and the scene of her death that really kicked the impact up a notch. I really don't see how things could have gone on with her around, and it probably was what had to happen, but it was still very sad to see her go, especially since Tsubasa really wasn't the most stable child and Hikaru really helped her with that.]

Figure 17 - spoiler[I know what you mean. Part of me was really hoping they would find a plausible way for her to stay around, but if they had done that I don't think the show would have ended up being as good as it is. A main theme of the story is Tsubasa growing and overcoming her insecurities to become an independent person who can stand on her own. Dealing with the loss of Hikaru and going forward was the final part of the process of her becoming a stronger person. At the end you just get the feeling that she's going to be OK.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3