• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My first suggestion thread

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:27 pm Reply with quote
After almost a year on these forums and 1700 posts, I am going to make my first manga suggestion thread. Bear with me please. I am in the mood right now, after watching Trouble Chocolate and reading Card Captor Sakura (still watching and reading both), to read a more violence based and very mature manga. And when I mean violent, I would like it very violent, and where it looks like when it hurts, it hurts. I have read Spider Sniper, Elfen Lied, Battle Royale, Higanjima, Zetman, Gantz, Angel Santcuary,Blue Heaven, Tsukihime, and Ichi the Killer. I have just put in an order for Danzaisha to see how that works out, but I would like maybe one or two other titles to fall back on. Sex can be thrown in there or not. Any help would be appreciated.

fighterholic
Mr.Roboto

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Never read it but I heard Berserk's good. Also Hellsing but it's only alright.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Mr.Roboto wrote:
Never read it but I heard Berserk's good. Also Hellsing but it's only alright.

I forgot to mention Berserk too, sorry.
Sasukeden

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:33 am Reply with quote
Try Zero from Infinity Studios. It's a good action series that has some adult content and the fights get really messy. It's basically a bunch of people with psychic abilities hacking away at each other. Ok, it's not quite that simple, but it's worth checking out. I think the first 2 volumes are out now.
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:39 am Reply with quote
Eden is the only thing I can think of offhand that can keep up with the likes of Gantz, Battle Royale, and Berserk in terms of violence. It's also an incredibly deep series, well worth reading. It's not quite as good as Berserk, but certainly better than the other titles listed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:00 am Reply with quote
There's lots of violence in Barefoot Gen. Horses on fire, children with broken glass melting on their faces running around screaming "Mommy, mommy! I can't see!”, suicide by grenades with heads flying everywhere, and little kids biting the fingertips off people that irritate them. It's an extremely heart wrenching story, so expect to be bawling by the end of volume one. What makes it so sad is that it's the autobiography of a boy in Japan in WWII that survived the bombing of Hiroshima, and all the horrible violence really happened. I made a deal with my mom that I'd read Night (that Pulitzer prize winner) if she read this. This was her first introduction to manga, and while she used to hate the stuff with a passion without actually having read any of it, she now she accepts that manga is a legitimate form of storytelling and art.

EDIT: I say "actually" way too much. Rolling Eyes
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:55 am Reply with quote
Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but I keep hearing so much about how great the Berserk manga is. I've got the anime on my 'to watch at some time' list, but haven't got round to it, is the manga so much better that I should just go straight for that? (I'm looking for a new manga series to read...) Or should I watch the anime first?

Anyways, sorry for the hijacking... You can have your thread back now Wink
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
There's lots of violence in Barefoot Gen. Horses on fire, children with broken glass melting on their faces running around screaming "Mommy, mommy! I can't see!”, suicide by grenades with heads flying everywhere, and little kids biting the fingertips off people that irritate them. It's an extremely heart wrenching story, so expect to be bawling by the end of volume one. What makes it so sad is that it's the autobiography of a boy in Japan in WWII that survived the bombing of Hiroshima, and all the horrible violence really happened. I made a deal with my mom that I'd read Night (that Pulitzer prize winner) if she read this. This was her first introduction to manga, and while she used to hate the stuff with a passion without actually having read any of it, she now she accepts that manga is a legitimate form of storytelling and art.

I also highly recommend this timeless classic to anyone mature enough to handle it, but a word of caution to the author of this thread: don't go into BG expecting the same kind of fun, mindless violence you would find in Gantz. It shows the horror and violence of Hiroshima in a shockingly effective and mature manner, much more so than something like Battle Royal could have ever hoped to achieve (and before people start pointing out how much more explicit BR is than BG, I'm talking about how the violence is used and the purpose behind it). Nakazawa confronts the horrors of his childhood on paper (not to mention the failure of the society he lived in), and the effect is as gut-wrenching as anything you'll ever read.
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Wolverine Princess wrote:

I also highly recommend this timeless classic to anyone mature enough to handle it, but a word of caution to the author of this thread: don't go into BG expecting the same kind of fun, mindless violence you would find in Gantz. It shows the horror and violence of Hiroshima in a shockingly effective and mature manner, much more so than something like Battle Royal could have ever hoped to achieve (and before people start pointing out how much more explicit BR is than BG, I'm talking about how the violence is used and the purpose behind it). Nakazawa confronts the horrors of his childhood on paper (not to mention the failure of the society he lived in), and the effect is as gut-wrenching as anything you'll ever read.

Lay off Gantz. It isn't mindless; it's quite a bit deeper than people give it credit for.

BTW: Night is quite good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cloe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:13 pm Reply with quote
For ultra-violent manga, I feel obliged to point you in the direction of Seuhiro Maruo's works, which are by far the most violent I've ever read. His manga falls under the highly disturbing "ero-guro" (erotic grotesque) genre. Which is misleading, I think, because the horrific acts of violence and rape in his works are meant to disgust the reader than to titillate them. Think The 120 Days of Sodom times 10,000, with even more sensationalism thrown in. However, his works also carry an undercurrent of bitter social criticism and biting satire, and for this reason he has become somewhat infamous in underground comic circles and praised as a contributor to fine arts as well (his work was featured on a cover of Juxtapoz Magazine last year).

I personally enjoy his works, but I highly recommend evaluating how many depictions of detestable acts of human nature you can stomach before deciding to pursue them. To say the pages of his manga are shocking would be a vast understatement. (Just try a google image search for "Suehiro Maruo" and if the results make you feel squeamish, it's probably best not to read any of the manga...) I'd start out with Mr. Arashi's Amazing Freak Show, since it's the most mellow of his works. If you enjoy it, there's also Ultra-Gash Inferno and a short story titled "Planet of the J@p" which can be found in an underground manga compilation titled Comics Underground Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Lay off Gantz. It isn't mindless; it's quite a bit deeper than people give it credit for.

"Lay off Gantz"? What's there to lay off? I NEVER said the manga as a whole was mindless, as it succeeds in creating three-dimensional, believable characters as well as a strong narrative. What is mindless is the actual violence, which is used for entertainment. I also never said I had anything against mindless violence, because it can be very enjoyable. I was mearly pointing out that Barefoot Gen, despite being violent, had little in common with something like Gantz because it uses violence to portray the horror of war through the eyes of a young boy rather than entertain the reader; two totally diffrent things. I never even said BG is better, only that it is quite diffrent than what the author of this topic was looking for. Since you've read Night, it would be like comparing that story to something like The Dirty Dozen; both very good tales of WW2, but totally diffrent.
And for the record, just because I was critical of Gantz in another thread doesn't mean I dislike it. For what it is I think it's great, but that doesn't mean it's perfect, especially after so many chapters. Do I think Barefoot Gen is a more important or profound work? Certianly, but I've also re-read Gantz more times simply because that it's more fun.
Satanachia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:03 am Reply with quote
Since I'm kinda new to manga I don't have much to say but, Diabolo has some pretty grotesque violence in it spoiler[ in one part a baby gets thrown from a 4th story apartment buidling window Very Happy and a guy gets his head biten off by his own dog ] Also from what I've seen in Battle Angel Alita (I've only read volume 1 'cause I can't find the others :/) there's some good gut-spilling gore. spoiler[ such as when they show Nova and his torso had been split open and the top of his head was sliced off, and when a teenager gets his head bashed in by a dumbell.]
Monumension

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:37 am Reply with quote
Crying Freeman has a lot of explicit material, both violent and sexual. It's among the best mafia/crime-stories around imo.

If you liked Battle Royal, maybe you should try out Masayuki Taguchi's first manga; Baron Gong Battle. When people call Battle Royale a brainless gorefest I beleive they were refering to a title like this. It's built up on all possible action/thriller/shonen/seinen-clishés and the violence and fanservice is so OTT and parodical that one supposes Taguchi was told to cut down on the explicitness when making BR(!), but it's all so tasteless you can't help but enjoy it. It would be quite beyond reason to call it a good manga, and I often find myself wondering how the same guy made BR which I love so much, but it's worth a (quick) look.

I'm reading The World Is Mine now. It's as morbid as Koroshiya 1, but I've yet to see if it's got something more than nihilistic terrorists on the run.
Alucalb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:38 am Reply with quote
Monumension wrote:
Crying Freeman has a lot of explicit material, both violent and sexual. It's among the best mafia/crime-stories around imo.

I'll second that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1