• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - That's FUNi, You're FUNi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I liked the ANNcast but I mostly wanted to hear about how Toriko was doing as I'm a really big fan of the show (pretty much the only time I ever post on ANN is about Toriko actually now that I think about it) and what was said was pretty much what I expected to hear. I would love more episodes brought over via shiny DVDs so I do support to the best of my abilities with an already stretched budget and buy doubles of each set cause I love it that much!

Sad face about the Big Windup poke. That was the first series my sister and I collected as it was released after we got back into anime (and also why we bought double of Toriko). Always makes me sad about the snowballs chance in a fiery hell to get the second season with that stellar dub, though the snowball probably has a better chance, sigh.

I'm looking forward to the Rock the Dragon box set. I actually watched the Funimation dub first so it's always been Chirtospher R. Sabat as half the cast so this is going to be interesting.

On a sidenote I would love Funimation to grab Hunter x Hunter, like really really really would love for them to get it. It's my fingers crossed please oh please! whenever I see Funimation licenses annoucements.
David.Seth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:44 am Reply with quote
Just thought I'd point out that the link for The New Division (http://thenewdivision.net/fr_home.cfm) leads to this: http://www.athertonkeener.com/

edit: it seems like this is a working site: http://newdivisionmusic.com/music-2/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:04 am Reply with quote
Still no Eva 3.0? Sad
David.Seth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:19 am Reply with quote
taster of pork wrote:
Still no Eva 3.0? Sad

I know, I was hoping for some word too...

But keep in mind how 2.0 went down. Funimation didn't announce they had it until a couple months after the Japanese DVD release, and we (US) didn't get our DVD/Bluray until nearly a year after Japan got theirs
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:33 am Reply with quote
sonic7 wrote:
The only negative I've had with FUNimation releases lately has been locked English subtitles over the Japanese audio track on a few select Blu-ray releases. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is one title where this happened and it annoyed me a bit to not be able to toggle it on/off while watching. Crying or Very sad

If there is a way for you guys to address removing these subtitle limitations, please do because it can be annoying not to turn them off when I would like.

NISA does this too, except they state which ones have locked subs on each show's page. It's basically at the behest of the licensor to discourage reverse importation so I don't think we'll be seeing that policy change. You can however, control the subs by ripping it or using a software player that can override the settings

sakuragtin wrote:
Sad face about the Big Windup poke. That was the first series my sister and I collected as it was released after we got back into anime (and also why we bought double of Toriko). Always makes me sad about the snowballs chance in a fiery hell to get the second season with that stellar dub, though the snowball probably has a better chance, sigh.

Sports shows are dead in the US. I think after Funi's failure with Big Windup and Sentai's cancellation of Eyeshield 21, the only place we'll be seeing sports or sports-like shows is on Crunchyroll
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:54 am Reply with quote
You could feel the awkwardness emanating from the podcast. Zac probably had a stiff drink after interviewing of these guys.

The subtitles on their Blu-Rays are still kind of terrible, as far as visibility. They need a thicker outline.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:58 am Reply with quote
I really hope I can get a job at funi some day.

They seem like a great group of people. I am probably their worst nightmare in terms of what I love. I am a case closed nut, love sports anime, am a big when they cry fan, and I like shojo titles such as kodocha and skip beat and let's throw tatami galaxy and rainbow on their for good measure.
sonic7

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:37 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
sonic7 wrote:
The only negative I've had with FUNimation releases lately has been locked English subtitles over the Japanese audio track on a few select Blu-ray releases. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is one title where this happened and it annoyed me a bit to not be able to toggle it on/off while watching. Crying or Very sad

If there is a way for you guys to address removing these subtitle limitations, please do because it can be annoying not to turn them off when I would like.

NISA does this too, except they state which ones have locked subs on each show's page. It's basically at the behest of the licensor to discourage reverse importation so I don't think we'll be seeing that policy change. You can however, control the subs by ripping it or using a software player that can override the settings

Thanks for the tip! Although it is a hassle I wish could be avoided. I like to watch some anime raw, without subtitles on the Japanese audio track, and this type of restriction can be a nuisance. I'm not completely fluent in Japanese mind you, but I am somewhat fluent and would appreciate the ability to watch an anime raw when purchased on BD. The worst part is FUNi must wait up to a year or more and then still have to implement this type of restriction despite the grace period to "combat reverse importation" having expired.

I'm also aware NISA, Sentai, and Viz occasionally release English subtitle locked BD products (I own a few that are.) I'm hoping Lance can talk about this concern with someone who works on anime BD title right negotiations at FUNi and see if something can't be done to persuade the Japanese licensors who mandate this to stop. If not, a warning about locked subtitles on the packaging would be helpful for me in making an informed buying decision as well.

The real pity is you actually wait for then pay for the product and the Japanese licensor still mandates this kind of restriction out of an irrational fear of reverse importation. If I were the Japanese licensor, I would be more worried about combating IP piracy than the sale of legal products licensed to, and paid for by, FUNi with unlocked subtitles on BD abroad.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:47 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
...and let's throw tatami galaxy and rainbow on their for good measure.

Oh, good taste you've got there. Especially how you like the underrated, little-known but absolutely amazing RAINBOW.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:37 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I really hope I can get a job at funi some day.

They seem like a great group of people. I am probably their worst nightmare in terms of what I love. I am a case closed nut, love sports anime, am a big when they cry fan, and I like shojo titles such as kodocha and skip beat and let's throw tatami galaxy and rainbow on their for good measure.

Agreed, I love Funi, and want to support em more then I do, but honestly, i'm super picky about anime I actually buy these days, Tatami Galaxy, Rainbow & More Case Closed are some things i'd pick-up in a heart beat, but seems like they'll never come sadly *le sigh* Also would love to see Funi do some more Magical girl, but doesn't seem like they care to do that either.

At this point the only titles I can say for sure i'm picking up from Funi this year are Roberta's Blood Trail, The Fujiko Mine Lupin III Series, and pts 5 & 6 of Fairy Tail.

But ahh yeah, ramblings aside, interesting podcast.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:05 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
They've pretty much said on an earlier ANNCast (and if I remember right I got Lance himself to confirm) that a disc release of Tatami Galaxy is not going to occur.

Anyway, I'm guessing Minami-ke Tadaima did nothing for them seeing how they only have 4 episodes streaming on their Youtube account. That blows.
How do you think Minami-ke did bad because of that? You're not the one with the stream numbers.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:28 am Reply with quote
I used the word "guessing" for a reason. And it's an educated one. Youtube lets you see viewer numbers for videos after all.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:28 am Reply with quote
Very fun and entertaining podcast. It is good to hear that, arguably the most important R1 disributor, Funimation seems to be doing well. I do wish I could support them more, but their stuff is not that appealing to me usually. I am planning to buy Roberta's Blood Trail though.

By the way Justin, I have watched Coming to America.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:30 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I'm always amused by how many people I've met who have even declared themselves as Key and/or KyoAni fans who had either never heard of Air or had no idea it was a Key/KyoAni show.

Air made me a Key/KyoAni fan. It's surprising how "bad" it looks in retrospect compared to Kanon and Clannad.

taster of pork wrote:
Still no Eva 3.0? Sad

You really think they're not going to release it as soon as humanly (and legally) possible?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:37 am Reply with quote
Air has some really, really terrible CG because nearly every show from that time period had really really terrible CG but other than that I think its animation quality is still above that of most recent anime.

And the BluRay extended OP is still one of the only things to me that actually looks like it was animated at a much higher resolution and not just upscaled. And that itself was released in 2006!

And yeah, it made me a KyoAni/Key fan too. Remains my favorite of theirs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5