• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Midori Days Vol. 7 censored

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I picked up volume seven of Midori Days earlier, and noticed that Viz pulled a nipple edit by covering up Lucy's nipple in chapter 73. This censorship wouldn't bother me (I don't care about it in I"s), but I have to wonder why Viz would wait until volume seven of the series before censoring things like this?
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:22 pm Reply with quote
You sure it's been edited? I can't really tell, given the context of the dialogue...
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:55 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
You sure it's been edited? I can't really tell, given the context of the dialogue...

Volume seven is actually the only volume of the series I have in Japanese (for whatever reason), so yes. The scene is where Lucy is in bed and Midori tries to push her away, and pushes up her bra instead. In the English version, the bra look like it's starting to come off.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Very odd. I'm not sure why Viz would do that, it's not like they've never shown a nipple or two before (I can remember one time distinctively where it happened in Fushigi Yuugi, mainly because it always freaks me out in the anime because they have no nipples at all).
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:12 am Reply with quote
GoodLuck:
Quote:

Volume seven is actually the only volume of the series I have in Japanese (for whatever reason), so yes. The scene is where Lucy is in bed and Midori tries to push her away, and pushes up her bra instead.

Oh, well. It's not like they're real, anyway, Laughing But seriously, I'm almost done, so I'm not gonna stop buying the rest of it, which is probably why Viz edited it. You might want to bring this up @ the AOD forums.
ParadoxCafe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:11 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
GoodLuck:
Quote:

Volume seven is actually the only volume of the series I have in Japanese (for whatever reason), so yes. The scene is where Lucy is in bed and Midori tries to push her away, and pushes up her bra instead.

Oh, well. It's not like they're real, anyway, Laughing But seriously, I'm almost done, so I'm not gonna stop buying the rest of it, which is probably why Viz edited it. You might want to bring this up @ the AOD forums.

I'm almost done with it too, I hate it when manga companines edit anything but I guess one little thing isn't gonna kill me.
coolGAL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:31 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Very odd. I'm not sure why Viz would do that, it's not like they've never shown a nipple or two before (I can remember one time distinctively where it happened in Fushigi Yuugi, mainly because it always freaks me out in the anime because they have no nipples at all).
Viz does the wierdest edits like a year ago there was a Naruto Manga edit where Naruto flips someone off but yet in another Viz Manga Boys over Flowers i have seen at leest 4 parts of people flipping off someone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ParadoxCafe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:37 pm Reply with quote
I just got Midori Day's 7 and yeah it looks weird. I don't know why they changed it. How stupid. One nipple isn't going to kill anyone.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:28 pm Reply with quote
ParadoxCafe wrote:
GATSU wrote:
GoodLuck:
Quote:

I'm almost done with it too, I hate it when manga companines edit anything but I guess one little thing isn't gonna kill me.

Yeah, but people just accepting this means that nothing is safe now. If they just go about editing anything in their regular line, what's to stop them from editing, say, Monster or Evangelion?
coolGAL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
ParadoxCafe wrote:
GATSU wrote:
GoodLuck:
Quote:

Yeah, but people just accepting this means that nothing is safe now. If they just go about editing anything in their regular line, what's to stop them from editing, say, Monster or Evangelion?
they better not lay one edit on monster.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
ParadoxCafe wrote:
GATSU wrote:
GoodLuck:
Quote:

Easy: they sell Midori to teens, they sell Monster to adults and devoted fans. Viz has no qualms editing materials, but they aren't stupid enough going to go and cause a TenTen-sized fiasco.
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:19 am Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
ParadoxCafe wrote:
GATSU wrote:
GoodLuck:
Quote:

I can certainly foresee some Monster edits in the future. If they touch it, though...*cocks shotgun*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Pepperidge wrote:
ParadoxCafe wrote:
GATSU wrote:
GoodLuck:
Quote:

Easy: they sell Midori to teens, they sell Monster to adults and devoted fans. Viz has no qualms editing materials, but they aren't stupid enough going to go and cause a TenTen-sized fiasco.

Still, the Signature line really has yet to prove itself as an imprint immune to editing, and Monster does carry a T+ rating. Man, I miss the days when T, let alone T+, actually meant something.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Pepperidge wrote:
ParadoxCafe wrote:
GATSU wrote:
GoodLuck:
Quote:

Still, the Signature line really has yet to prove itself as an imprint immune to editing, and Monster does carry a T+ rating. Man, I miss the days when T, let alone T+, actually meant something.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

How does it "prove itself"? Nothing has been edited yet, and they've given no indication that they have any plans to edit series. I suspect that most fans (me included) reactions to editing the series would be akin to coolerimmortal's, and I suspect the fan outrage would dwarf that of TenTen. Viz knows they can get away with putting stars on nipples of Shonen series; marketing something as a sophisticated, mature tale then editing it to get a lower rating isn't logical.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2