• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pre-Licensing Anime?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Are the US anime companies pre-licensing anime even before they appear on Japanese TV? I saw this screenshot for Black Lagoon and it got me questioning.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/initialdorg/BLEnding.jpg
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Are the US anime companies pre-licensing anime even before they appear on Japanese TV

...Yes.
Bandai and especially Geneon USA have been doing it for a couple of years now.
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:35 pm Reply with quote
But how do they know that it's going to be any good? It'd be a waste to license the title and have it turn out to be a flop.
Jabberwock

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:46 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEyes92 wrote:
But how do they know that it's going to be any good? It'd be a waste to license the title and have it turn out to be a flop.

Same thing could be said about the Japanese company that is actually producing the anime. How do they know it isn't going to be a flop? They don't, it’s a chance anyone takes in business. They probably save money by licensing the anime early.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Jabberwock wrote:
Same thing could be said about the Japanese company that is actually producing the anime. How do they know it isn't going to be a flop? They don't, it’s a chance anyone takes in business. They probably save money by licensing the anime early.

It's called legal gambling, I don't get how people can't gamble their money on dice/cards/whatever but can on stocks. But I am not trying to stirup a hornet nest anyhow it's just when Geneon helped produced several anime such as Fate Stay night, the new Hellsing, and black lagoon as you noted.

Just like Jabberwock said it's probably cheaper to license a show before it is released and become a huge hit, and then having to pay more and also compete with other companies. It's a hit or miss format, hopefully these companies will do well so there will be more licensing.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral

Last edited by Deltakiral on Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pleroma

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Well to be fair they only do this to shows with a good chance of overseas sucess. I sure don't see anyone pre-licencing any uber moe~ Otaku oriented shows.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Pleroma wrote:
Well to be fair they only do this to shows with a good chance of overseas sucess. I sure don't see anyone pre-licencing any uber moe~ Otaku oriented shows.
Incidentally, Koi Kaze was some kind of Geneon co-production, and that's not exactly an "assured overseas success" series. I'll always respect Geneon for doing that, though. According to some message board posts, ADV has been making claims [exaggerated by the posters] that they've been financing half the anime coming out of Japan, which is probably not true. They just like to say, "So many things being produced are pre-licensed or co-productions, fansubbing is obsolete, yadda yadda..." They also pre-license as an attempt to cut down on fansubbing, although that hasn't worked lately. (See Hellsing Ultimate, GunxSword, Fate/Stay Night, Shana, Fantastic Children, and so on.)
Pleroma

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:00 am Reply with quote
They probably do it for economic reasons a was suggested since its effect on fansubbing is practicaly non-existant.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:33 am Reply with quote
SharinganEyes92 wrote:

Or for that matter, when are they gonna release them?
ryujin jakka

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:43 am Reply with quote
Yes, When will they release them. I have been waithing for Hellsing for a while now. Crying or Very sad
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:10 am Reply with quote
ryujin jakka wrote:
Yes, When will they release them. I have been waithing for Hellsing for a while now. Crying or Very sad

I do believe Geneon said at AX that they were going to release the first dvd before X-Mas and that it will feature the same dub as before. Actually here it is from the con report.
Quote:
The most popular title mentioned at the panel was Hellsing Ultimate, which earned many cheers from the crowd. After the clip, the VA for the English language dub, Crispin Freeman, came onto the stage and thanked the fans for their support. According to Geneon, all the original voice talent from the previous dub will be back, including Freeman as Alucard, K.T. Gray as Seras, Victoria Harwood as Integra and Ralph Lister as Walter. Hellsing Ultimate is currently scheduled for release on December 5.
Hope this helps ya out.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:

It's called illegal gambling, I don't get how people can't gamble their money on dice/cards/whatever but can on stocks. But I am trying to stirup a hornet nest anyhow it's just when Geneon helped produced several anime such as Fate Stay night, the new Hellsing, and black lagoon as you noted.

I could not have said the truth better myself. However, I should note that even though Geneon helped produce those shows, it's still unfair to secure the licensing for the material without requiring bids.

Think of this metaphor; your father is the dean of a prestigious Academy, and has the power to give you a scholarship to you in the name of his Academy to attend there. Even if there are equally and more qualified students who are competing with you for the scholarship, he gives it to you anyway simply because you are his son/daughter.

But...the flipside is that most of what Geneon licensed is trash, so I'll be smiling when I see that company take huge revenue blows for their failed investment. I do not think Hellsing will rake in enough dollars to overcome losses from Shakugan no Shana and especially the very expensive (yet sucky) Fate/stay night property.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
But...the flipside is that most of what Geneon licensed is trash, so I'll be smiling when I see that company take huge revenue blows for their failed investment. I do not think Hellsing will rake in enough dollars to overcome losses from Shakugan no Shana and especially the very expensive (yet sucky) Fate/stay night property.

Ouch easy on Geneon, I think that they will make PLENTY of money on Hellsing OVA there is a huge demand for that.

As for Fate/stay night I have a feeling that is a huge gamble I understand that F/SN is popular among the gamers and other anime fans. But I just don't know if it going to have the huge success, but I will still support Geneon since I watched the series fansub so I going to support them on that.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:

Ouch easy on Geneon, I think that they will make PLENTY of money on Hellsing OVA there is a huge demand for that.

I am very eager to see how well it sells. It's an excellent title and I have enjoyed both the Anime and Manga interpretations; the "ultimate" OVA could only improve on that.

Deltakiral wrote:

As for Fate/stay night I have a feeling that is a huge gamble I understand that F/SN is popular among the gamers and other anime fans. But I just don't know if it going to have the huge success, but I will still support Geneon since I watched the series fansub so I going to support them on that.

Fate/stay night is popular with Japanese language readers/speakers, but the vast majority of them hated the Anime adaptation. Most of the people who read into the UBW synopsis (especially those on AnimeSuki) hate the route the Anime took because UBW was originally announced to be the chosen route for adaptation.

FSN is a prime example of how a fansub can destroy a series' prayer for success in America; because the story was so cheap (not to egregiously offend Nasu Kinoko, but the Fate route was the worst route of any of his games) and the animation was poor. The only merits of the series were the voices; heck, even the music was inappropriate and annoying. The only nice bit was the "Emiya" theme, which is merely remix from the game!

I myself will not purchase the FSN English DVDs out of protest. Yes, I will enjoy watching Geneon take a hit for its hubris in taking "the hottest property of 2006" (sounds a lot like the licensing of One Piece), but I'm especially angry at Deen for thinking they could produce garbage and expect the stupid American rich kids to pay the bill for their "fanservice" to the Japanese viewers.

Frankly, Deen's half-arsed job only highlights how arrogant that particular studio is, and nothing is more appropriate for dealing with arrogance than a cold hard slap in the face.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:21 am Reply with quote
Excuse the ignorance, but what's UBW?
Malintex Terek wrote:
FSN is a prime example of how a fansub can destroy a series' prayer for success in America; because the story was so cheap (not to egregiously offend Nasu Kinoko, but the Fate route was the worst route of any of his games) and the animation was poor. The only merits of the series were the voices; heck, even the music was inappropriate and annoying. The only nice bit was the "Emiya" theme, which is merely remix from the game!

I myself will not purchase the FSN English DVDs out of protest. Yes, I will enjoy watching Geneon take a hit for its hubris in taking "the hottest property of 2006" (sounds a lot like the licensing of One Piece), but I'm especially angry at Deen for thinking they could produce garbage and expect the stupid American rich kids to pay the bill for their "fanservice" to the Japanese viewers.

Frankly, Deen's half-arsed job only highlights how arrogant that particular studio is, and nothing is more appropriate for dealing with arrogance than a cold hard slap in the face.
See now, this is interesting--I don't know how the general fansub-watching community reacted to FSN (I myself haven't watched it yet), but this is a prime example of how fansubs can actually help American studios. If Geneon hadn't pre-licensed it, and the reaction to the fansubs was bad, then Geneon gets to keep its money and not help finance "fanservice" for Japanese fans of the game. I understand that the studios depend largely on overseas licensing fees to stay profitable, but I'd rather pay to support quality series that I like, not crap.
Besides, even if pre-licensing did completely eliminate fansubbing...

Company: We've licensed Series Q that starts airing next week. Please don't fansub it.
Fansubbers: Okay, that's cool, we'll sub something else.
-Series Q airs-
Company: First DVD of Series Q will street on May 1st.
-May 1st arrives-
DVD-rippers: *buy* *rip* *encode* Go grab episodes 1-4 of Series Q from our tracker or our IRC channel!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2