• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Prince's Bride

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
torinostu351

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I also picked up "The Princess and the Pilot" on a whim this weekend at Animazement. I had not heard anything about it, but judged it was worth a shot based on the character and plane designs, as well as the rating on ANN. It has a very low key excellence about it. Technically, it is amazing and by the end my biggest complaint was that there wasn't more of it to experience. There was one huge plot point I thought was going to lead to a big reveal at the end (having to do with a coded message) and that went nowhere, much to my disappointment.

But overall, I share your enthusiasm about it. I know a lot of people were wondering what would happen to MadHouse after Redline, since a lot of their team jumped ship, but all I can say is: if this is where MadHouse is going, count me in! (Personally, I was surprised to see their name at the opening. Maybe because of what they've been known for in the past, or maybe because I'd never even heard of this movie.)

Keep up the great work!
agila61

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
... And there's my biggest gripe with the whole Maria Watches Over Us All concept- It should end with Yumi's graduation, otherwise you end up with perpetual little sister syndrome. ...

The soeur relationship between Yumi and Sachiko is the axis of the story ~ but the balance for the little sister "syndrome" is arrived at in the fourth season, as Yumi becomes a big sister.

If more of the story was animated, I would rather an OVA of some of the side stories that were pushed aside to get through the plotlines already told than extending the series beyond the end of the original source material in Sachiko's graduation.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:00 am Reply with quote
Part of me is curious about the Geminar show, but that third Tenchi OVA was so horrendous, it's hard to imagine anything else from Kajishima being good. He hurt my very spirit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:40 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Quote:
They all run maybe 45 seconds or so, and are goofy gags of the girls in SD-form doing nonsensical things. It's pretty impossible to not crack a smile when youre

When you're what, Bamboo? X3

Ahhhhhhhh......... sorry.....
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:43 am Reply with quote
Wakazhi wrote:
I would've probably bought a standard edition of it (if that existed), but it's not worth the NISA premium treatment, in my opinion. I'm not saying the movie itself isn't shelf-worthy, but this LE version just seems too much for a movie that just comes short of being amazing. I guess if you're a huge fan of it, then it's worth it. If you're just a casual anime fan, then not so much.

I do agree with this. Personally, I loved the movie (obviously), but I don't think it's that accessible. I really think they're doing the movie a disservice by not having it readily available in a standard BD+DVD, at a much lower price point. I love NIS America's boxes (and the Princess and the Pilot one is likewise absolutely stunning), but I don't know that it's necessary for a movie.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:00 am Reply with quote
The Princess and the Pilot -- why does that synopsis bring to mind Clark Gable and Carole Lombard? Or was it Jimmy Cagney and Ginger Rogers? Anyway, it's one of those 1930s or 1940s movies that has exactly the same plot, only with incredibly great acting.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:05 am Reply with quote
It's too bad Tenchi Muyo! GXP ruined the franchise so bad on Adult Swim that War On Geminar will most likely never see the light of day on Toonami.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:34 am Reply with quote
Anyone know why this is in the Australia sub-Forum instead of Talkback?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:15 am Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
It's too bad Tenchi Muyo! GXP ruined the franchise so bad on Adult Swim that War On Geminar will most likely never see the light of day on Toonami.

GXP is a delight compared to the third Tenchi OVA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:24 am Reply with quote
Wow, I'm surprised at all the love for Princess and the Pilot; I thought it was a dull stinker with a very badly-performed female lead.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:50 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Anyone know why this is in the Australia sub-Forum instead of Talkback?

Likely due to the first comment being from someone viewing it via the Australian front-end.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:48 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Quote:
They all run maybe 45 seconds or so, and are goofy gags of the girls in SD-form doing nonsensical things. It's pretty impossible to not crack a smile when youre

When you're what, Bamboo? X3

Well its actually what makes Kenchi more likable over his half brother Tenchi. and at least they didn't make him like Seina Yamada. That would have seriously have pissed off a lot of people.

Dont get me wrong, i liked GXP, but the main is way too much of an idiot to be likable. at least they didn't make Kenchi like Seina or Tenchi. it would have been a bad sense of dejavu all over again.

Also it still puzzles me that after all this time , Right Stuff still haven't given Maria Watches Over Us and Emma an english dub even though they sell well enough to warrant one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
doubleO7

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:50 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Part of me is curious about the Geminar show, but that third Tenchi OVA was so horrendous, it's hard to imagine anything else from Kajishima being good. He hurt my very spirit.

You should really give it a chance. It's the best thing to happen to Tenchi in a long, long time. Its not comparable to the unintelligable mess that is OVA 3.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Well i liked OVA 3. it wasnt a mess at all. the reason people didn't liked it cause it ended that part of the storyline just like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:20 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Well i liked OVA 3. it wasnt a mess at all. the reason people didn't liked it cause it ended that part of the storyline just like that.

It's four or five episodes of introducing new characters who do and add nothing, ignoring the characters that used to be the focus, and then two episodes of cramming in as many plot points into a mishmash of events that make zero sense, only to take a messy dump all over established lore and making the enigmatic and dignified into a total joke.

It was a f***ing crime against the franchise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3