• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hisdon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I havn't really had a chance to look into this series since around episode 10, but according to the encylopedia it stopped on 14 earlier this month? Sad

Oh well least that one group is translating the books
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Yea, the series is only 14 episodes, but many fans are hoping for at least an OVA if not a second season. Hopefully the latter since they have plenty of material to derive it from Anime smile.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:38 pm Reply with quote
A second season of Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu would be unlikely to come until Spring 2007. Probably even later, as the staff at Kyoto Animation probably need a break right after Kanon 2006 finishes airing.
omnistry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Has there been word yet on a U.S. license? Considering its overseas popularity (and the fact that this has got to be the biggest thread in ANN history) I'd say this show is impossible to ignore.
The Sphinx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, most people watching the anime industry say Fall 2007 is the earliest possible date for new Haruhi episodes (if a second season is ever announced). And there's also the possibility of another batch of Full Metal Panic episodes which would push Haruhi back even further.

I'm willing to wait.

And no word on U.S. licensing. I think it's a sure bet someone will pick it up soon.
Mini Jesus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:43 pm Reply with quote
A second season would be awesome but I don't feel it necessary. The show tied most loose ends(the only one left that I can remember is Shami the cat being able to talk).
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, we have to remember the possibility of there being one because this was just the first novel and some parts out of some of the other ones, while there's 8 or 9 out so far (don't know the specific number or if there'll be more). I really don't expect it to come out anytime soon because of their other works (been waiting for Kanon 2006 ever since I first heard about it a few months ago), but looking at the popularity it would probably be a wise decision to come out with another season.
frouella

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:53 am Reply with quote
I love SHnY, and a part of me was sad to see it end, but at the same time I'm also very happy that it ended well. My biggest concern with a second season is the possiblilty that it won't be as good as the first one, and/or they'll mess up the ending. In too many instances, the ending is the place where an exceptionally good anime goes horribly, horribly wrong, and considering how SHnY's ending went wonderfully, wonderfully right, I'd be worried about messing that up. Granted, Kyoto Animation could wow us all again and prove that my fears were totally unfounded, but I think it's going to be a little hard to catch that kind of magic again. As viewers, we know and are familiar with the show's quirks and charm, so the initial surprise is gone. So they're either going to have to come up with something new and different again, or it will probably end up being just okay.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:59 am Reply with quote
They could always animate random comedy segments from the later volumes, and make it a Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu? Fumoffu! Then, it wouldn't particularly matter what the ending is.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:31 pm Reply with quote
frouella wrote:
In too many instances, the ending is the place where an exceptionally good anime goes horribly, horribly wrong, ...So they're either going to have to come up with something new and different again, or it will probably end up being just okay.

very very true Confused If for no other reason than that it's no longer original we will probably be disappointed on some level. Considering the ratings this show has gotten, I don't know if it's even POSSIBLE for a sequal to this type of show to do better than the original, and even if it somehow is magically done at the same level, people probably won't appreciate it as much.

I'd have to agree though, I am more than happy with the ending to it as it stands now. Even if the sequel isn't as good as the original (and I don't really expect it to be), it will almost undoubtedly be a very very good anime unless they butcher it unbelievably; but based on how Haruhi was done, I have every confidence in at least their ability to not butcher it Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omar235

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:00 pm Reply with quote
frouella wrote:

Quote:
In too many instances, the ending is the place where an exceptionally good anime goes horribly, horribly wrong, ...So they're either going to have to come up with something new and different again, or it will probably end up being just okay.

Yea, just look at what happend to Rurouni Kenshin, one of my most favorite anime series, they went through the first two arcs perfectly but fell short during the third arc (word is thats what got it Canceled).
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Well, with Rurouni Kenshin, from what I've read, the storyline for the anime basically did what it did for Naruto, it was just a bunch of fillers because the anime was ahead of the manga, and also why a lot of people turned away from it.
epixeltwin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:35 am Reply with quote
Wow. I just finished episode 9 and...I'm WOWed (not world of warcraft).

I had realized that all the silent scenes, the calm atmoshpere, the fact that no extraordinary things happen, were all to build up that cardigan-and-umbrella part... But I hadn't really realized it was the ending since I've been watching the episodes very sporadically, and since I wasn't very attentive at first.

I must say it is simply superb. Really, I'm left speechless. The jealousy scene, the waiting, Kyon's resolve in his sarcastic remarks, the "normal day" aspect, everyting to make that cute and perfect little ending.

I also hate that face Haruhi made at the end, but it [being true to her character] was a necessary evil.

I just guess I'm dumb for not having known it was the end. The fact that it is just makes it greater IMHO.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:44 am Reply with quote
The first (proper) DVD is on its way to me as we speak. can't wait to find out what the on-disc extras are (was great seeing Aya in the flesh on the last disc, and in cosplay no less!)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Darc_knight

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:39 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: Read the rules and do not insult people or their beliefs. If you disagree, then do it in a respectful manner and not like some angsty high school kid. -TK]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 51 of 213