• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wolf's Rain Ending

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darc_knight

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I have just recently finished watching Wolf's Rain, and I thought it was pretty good. The thing that I am really wondering about is why the last episode of the OVA ended the way it did. I kind of don't get it. spoiler[I am puzzled by the fact that Kiba dies so many times and still manages to stay alive. When he was a little baby, he was caught in the flames and should have died; in the first episode he was laying in the ice seeming dead; and in the last episode, he falls in the water and drowns to death. Is he immortal? Another thing that I don't get is why, at the end, Tsume is riding a Motorcycle since he does not give in to that of the humans? Why Hige is carrying a grocery bag when he was used to stealing his food? Why Toboe is patting a cat when he was terrified of them? Why were the other wolves and people that helped in the journey not shown? And most importantly, why does Kiba start running? Does he still have the urge to go to paradise while his friends do not? I would love to understand all this and how the curse, what Darcia mentions, relates to the anime.]
I'm sorry if I am reviving a thread that might have been posted a long time ago and I'm sorry for asking a bunch of unorganized questions. However, I would love to read other viewer's thoughts about them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
UKfan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I have no idea how close my view is to what was intended but my take on the ending is that spoiler[After the flower maiden opens the gate to paradise the whole world is recreated in a new form by Kiba and the wolves aren't wolves anymore but humans in the new world that has nothing to do with the old one. I don't think they could still be wolves as I can't see a wolf riding a motorbike. Possibly as well I think Kiba is the only one who might remember what had occured before as he was the one who created everything.]
red stranger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:11 pm Reply with quote
My take on the ending was:
spoiler[Kiba & Cheza were supposed to open paradise for the wolves, but Darcia's eye contaminated it. So the wolves just got reincarnated into a slightly better world instead of the paradise they expected.]

As for the reason why Kiba keeps surviving, I think that's just because he's a wolf. They are supposed to be much stronger than humans, and moonlight helpsd them heal faster.
Hisdon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:39 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[notice when he passed the lunar flower he started to run, the smell of the flower made him want to find Chesa in this new world by instict. Basically the world was recreated for the same events to take place.]
frouella

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Darc_knight wrote:
I have just recently finished watching Wolf's Rain, and I thought it was pretty good. The thing that I am really wondering about is why the last episode of the OVA ended the way it did. I kind of don't get it. spoiler[I am puzzled by the fact that Kiba dies so many times and still manages to stay alive. When he was a little baby, he was caught in the flames and should have died; in the first episode he was laying in the ice seeming dead; and in the last episode, he falls in the water and drowns to death. Is he immortal? Another thing that I don't get is why, at the end, Tsume is riding a Motorcycle since he does not give in to that of the humans? Why Hige is carrying a grocery bag when he was used to stealing his food? Why Toboe is patting a cat when he was terrified of them? Why were the other wolves and people that helped in the journey not shown? And most importantly, why does Kiba start running? Does he still have the urge to go to paradise while his friends do not? I would love to understand all this and how the curse, what Darcia mentions, relates to the anime.]
I'm sorry if I am reviving a thread that might have been posted a long time ago and I'm sorry for asking a bunch of unorganized questions. However, I would love to read other viewer's thoughts about them.

What I got from the ending was that spoiler[Kiba and the rest of the group facilitated bringing about the end of the world, so that a new world could be created, and that basically, that's their continuing role every time they're alive.]

The world that the audience is introduced to in the beginning of the series is a world in decline, with corruption and lawlessness and decay everywhere. The wolves' return and subsequent search for Paradise is what is necessary to spoiler[start the cycle of life over again. After Cheza "goes to seed," as it were, the world gets to start over, and this time it's a little closer to perfect (Paradise) than it was before, which is why Tsume is more comfortable around humans, Hige has a better life, Toboe is more well-adjusted, and lunar flowers are more commonly found. But, things aren't perfect, since...that bad guy (sorry, I don't remember his name) tainted the world (they showed his eyeball leaking, like, evilness). So it's an improvement from the last incarnation, but not yet Paradaise.]

Perhaps if Kiba and the others spoiler[ever do bring about a perfect world, that will indeed be Paradise, and they will be allowed to stay there. In the meantime, it's their job to always be searching for it. And I just have to say that the last scene (when they show all of them alive again, and Kiba starts running) makes me cry every time I see it. ]

This post is starting to look like a government document! Laughing
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:05 pm Reply with quote
The ending is fairly simple, once you think about it.

spoiler[It's a reset button. Paradise was partially achieved, but Darcia reached the lake first, and Paradise was tainted, resulting in the world Kiba was in at the end. Kiba has been repeating his quest over and over again for God knows how long, and will continue to repeat it until he corrects his mistakes and manages to reach the lake before Darcia, at which point the true Paradise will be attained.

The other wolves have become human, and he'll have new wolves to help him. Kiba probably has no memory of the previous journey(s).

It's the same ending as my favorite book series, the title of which I won't give away...it was the perfect ending for Wolf's Rain.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:41 am Reply with quote
First off, the opening scene of Wolf's Rain spoiler[and the end scene are the same, so that's only one "death" for Kiba. I don't remember the fire thing well enough to know how exactly he surivived that, but he did definitely die at the end.]

I also go with the theory that spoiler[the world was reset at the end, and Tsume, Toboe, and Hige were all reborn as humans, not wolves. I think Kiba is still a wolf, but there is not real proof to back that up.]

I love how open to interpretation this ending is and I honestly think that the whole OVA is the best ending to an anime I've ever seen.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:09 am Reply with quote
The ending of Wolf's Rain is certainly open to interpretation more than most. I tend to go along with frouella's view of the ending though. spoiler[The world was reset, but tainted so it is still not paradise but still another world. I don't believe any of them have any memory from before aside from maybe an instinct that drives them towards paradise once again.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MilkManX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:59 am Reply with quote
I had the same feelings. It was a spoiler[ reset button that was tainted by Darca]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:11 pm Reply with quote
In a broader sense, I see the end spoiler[not as mearly a "reset" button, but more as the start of a new life. Humans are always going to pursue the concept of paradise, but will they ever reach it? Alot of people disliked the ending because of "lack of closure," but I think that's the reason why it's so great. While it is very possible that man will never attain paradise, it will never stop him from trying. Similarly, the characters of the series will play the same roles in this reincarnated world, and while they may never reach the true paradise, it's their quest that it important. The ending (death) will always be the same, it is how one reaches that ending that truely matters.]
I've got other thoughts reguarding the role of wolves, but I just don't have the time right now. Sorry...[/spoiler]
Tofu Slain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Here is my take on the ending, and the series as a whole.

spoiler[I belive that the theme the entire series was trying to show was that it is the journey that is important, and not the final destination. The book of the moon states that when the wolves reach paradise everything will end. At the end Kiba discovers he is the only one that can really reach paradise. He finally makes it there. His paradise was in fact the journey with the others to reach paradise. The end shows everything Kiba wanted. He gets his journey back, his friends are destined to meet with him again, and the lunar flowers are back. Kiba himself even said, when he get to paradise he does not expect to find happiness, or sadness, all he wants to find is a future. When Kiba starts running at the very very end, that is just showing that he will seek out paradise for as long as he can, because the journey is all he desires. When the eye of Darsha lands, it disolves into a black liquidy substance. I belive this is to show not that Kiba's paradise is exactly tainted, but it shows the whole ying and yang theory. There cannot be happiness without sadness. There cannot be adventure without conflict.. that sort of thing.] Well that was just my take on it. I'm sure I didn't get it all right, and it has been a long time sience I have watched it, so I am sure I forgot some of the things I used to think about it. But in the long run, spoiler[the journey is the fun part. Once you actually get there it's not as great as you thought it would be, and you will be in constant longing to go back to the journey.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1