• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Horrible Anime Dub Opening Songs

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
"Cardcaptors, a mystic adventure!" or Platinum?

Hell yeah. I prefer the first OP, but Platinum is the superior song. Catch You Catch Me is nice and goes very well with the animation but it can't compare the gorgeousness of Platinum. The section following the second chorus, with the swelling of emotion and instrumentation and "It's gonna be your world", is uplifting and just beaituful.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:32 pm Reply with quote
While it's technically not an Engish dub, I have a special amount of hatred for Shutter Speed, a worthless instrumental that replaced DURAN FREAKING DURAN in Speed Graphed. It is just awful sounding.
gedata

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I disagree, always thought the intro to Monster Rancher sounded damn cool, but I can definitely see why it'd called boring sounding.

Escaflowne's intro was the only good part about that version's soundtrack (heck the rest of the series sucked) and even that intro was vastly inferior to the soothing original which I will remind you of now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msO7w0NRmpY&feature=youtu.be

A list of good english openings should be considered though (one's not done by dubbing companies, one's like Wolf's Rain or Serial Experiments Lain)
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:38 pm Reply with quote
And yeah, the werewolf v vampire thing, I'm completely prowolf in anime because while every now and then you get the monster vampire like the Shiki vampires or Blood + ones, most of the time they're either bishonens, bishoujos or loli girls. Or all three, like in Moonphase. Werewolves, on the other hand, are total monsters or like Riza Wildman, monsters ready at hand.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Vampires vs Werewolves is sort of an uneven match up in anime with the existence of Alucard.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I'm quite neutral to the dubbed Ouran theme, though in general I prefer the dub over the sub (this is entirely based on Haruhi's character, which in the dub is far more snarky and at times deadpan). I never really had any issue understanding what the singer was saying at least.

If I were to pick a recent FUNimation dub opening as horrible, I'd have to go with One Piece's 2nd OP - Believe. This is a funny theme because pop group Folder 5 in Japan ripped off a Eurobeat song done by a singer known only as LOLITA of all things. And then the English adaptation of the rip-off is pretty much completely different from both lyrics making now a new 3rd theme using the same beat. The main problem with the dub version is the singer spends 90% of the time on the same key and has next to zero energy when compared to the previous two renditions and for some reason the audio engineer decided that they needed to shove in an echo of the singer's monotonous voice during the chorus which just sounds bizarre.

Last edited by Megiddo on Sat May 04, 2013 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Being a werewolf would be way easier. Wolves just have to worry about natural predators, competition for food, and animal control. Not Blade running in your house with a Uzi filled with silver bullets.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:45 pm Reply with quote
The Cardcaptor's one is catchy. Even to this day after it aired on tv in the UK I remember the words.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Not gonna lie, I still love those Rayearth openings.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Kind of surprised with the list, as I like most of those openings. Monster Rancher and Cardcaptors had catchy themes to make me remember the show. Kind of the first Pokemon season's song.

Ronin Warriors, felt more like a summary for the show than overall opening though. But I guess good for newcomers to the show.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I'll always be a pro-Wolfer. I just know the upcoming US-created Guardians of Luna anime will kick off a huge werewolf craze in the medium. This poll may just be a year or so premature.

Last edited by trilaan on Sat May 04, 2013 1:02 pm; edited 3 times in total
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:48 pm Reply with quote
How about the dub opening to El Hazard: The Wanderers?
bj_waters

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Wow! We've gotten this far and no one's mentioned Shaman King's Dub Opening? (Click here if you don't know what I'm talking about.) I've always kind of liked this one, but I figured since Shaman King's dub was so maligned it would end up here in some capacity.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:52 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
How about the dub opening to El Hazard: The Wanderers?

I, personally, LOVE the Wanderers songs.

In a world of so much confusion, you and I must make this illusion real...knowing it's love we feel!

I'm overflowing, I'm overflowing, every time the feeling starts!

Yes, they ARE on my mp3 player.
SahgoDN

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:55 pm Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:
Wow! We've gotten this far and no one's mentioned Shaman King's Dub Opening? (Click here if you don't know what I'm talking about.) I've always kind of liked this one, but I figured since Shaman King's dub was so maligned it would end up here in some capacity.

It's probably because it's not that bad, at least for a 4Kids song.

On the other hand, I think most people ignored Kirby: Right Back At Ya!'s opening song since it's a very kiddy anime, but.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 17