• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Questions about Densha Otoko?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
championferret

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:38 am Reply with quote
Yes, I know it's not strictly an anime so this isnt really the right board, but I didn't know where else to post it.
Now that THAT'S out of the way...

Many people may know I'm doing an assingment on otaku, and the changing perceptions associated forthwith. (yep, still) So, it wouldnt be much of an assingment on otaku if it had nothing about Densha Otoko/Train Man in it.
Now...at first I thought, 'Right, Densha Otoko is a movie, okay, and it made the whole otaku 'cult' a little more 'acceptable'.
After more net-surfing, I see it being called a drama television series. 'Oh, it's a drama, I thought it was a movie, silly me.' Then I hear it's both. 'Right, it's both...although I'm not sure which came first or how relevant that is...' Then, 'Right, there's a manga version too, which apparently came after the movie/drama series....' 'wait a second, there's FOUR manga versions (or more), shonen, seinen AND shojo versions...' (aye yae yae...Anime dazed)' And of course, there's an anime too.
Now..
In an attempt to clear this up, I went on that 'wonderful' site called Wikipedia. Turns out that Wikipedia said the entire story of Densha Otoko is actually based on a book, which is in turn based on real-life posts on the message board 2channel???
Now, I'm aware of the fact that since Wiki is 'the encyclopaedia anyone can edit!', you cant trust everything it says. There was a link to a translation of all the posts, though.

So...the purpose of this babble was, can anyone clear up my questions about Densha Otoko? So what is the order of its incarnations, and is the 'based on a true story'(ie, real message posts on 2channel) part true?
Am I correct in assuming it goes, message board posts (if this is true)=> book=> TV Drama series=> movie=>manga =>anime ?

Thank you sincerely for anyone who took the time to read this. (dates would be helpful too, but I wont look a gift horse in the mouth...)
Kidder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:49 am Reply with quote
The origins of Densha Otoko is indeed from a message board on the internet. Whether it's "true" is under-debate... some believe the user who posted as "Densha Otoko" made up the story, while others believe it's completely true. The real Densha Otoko has not been identified, so it's hard to verify the authenticity of the story.

Unfortunately I'm not entirely sure when the various incarnations of the story came out.

There's another little Japanese tv-series called Maid In Akihabara <-- (as in Akiba, the famous place in Japan known for it's many otaku shops). The show looks at a small maid cafe in Akiba. The series is very short (less than 10 eps I believe) and is mostly a comedy. Could be useful for your research Anime smile
midori kou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:52 am Reply with quote
Yes, Densha Otoko is a REAL story. It occured on a messageboard similar to 2chan. However, the novel, multiple manga series, movie and TV series exaggerated A LOT of facts and the actual story. (The actual author of the book was featured in the drama series, BTW.) As for the order, it's the novel, then the movie, then the TV drama and the manga series occured at the same time of the movie and TV drama.

Last edited by midori kou on Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:54 am; edited 2 times in total
championferret

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:54 am Reply with quote
Wow, fast! 0_0
Thankyou!
So I can safely assume the anime came out after the manga?

EDIT= Oh, and this is the link to the translated original posts it was supposedly based on, if anyone's interested: http://www.rinji.tv/densha/index.html
Interesting reading, although vvvvveeeerrryyy long. The board members reactions are quite funny, as if their ASCII art

Last edited by championferret on Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:10 am; edited 1 time in total
championferret

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:22 am Reply with quote
*double post by mistake, someone delete, please...* <---idiot
Azathrael

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:29 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't even call the main character from Densha Otoko an "otaku". A real otaku would be 100 times worse with whatever his obsession is, not simply look stupid, short, and nerdy.

In fact, 2ch (aka 2channel) is one of the top 10 largest forums in the Internet. And it's not just otaku that visit there. From what I've read in the forum posts (where the story originated from), it seems that he was just a normal guy who was into anime and had trouble approaching a girl.

Still, you can use the TV series or the movie to show what an otaku is portrayed as then mention where it's correct and wrong.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1