• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Macross Question: Why the Midnight Showing?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
camelot187757

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I was flippin channels last night at about midnight and i noticed that macross was on one of the Encore channels. I didn't watch it but something bugged me this morning. Encore shows Vandread, Samurai 7, Street Fighter, and some other show that I can't remember the name of during the afternoons. Not only that, but Encore has also shown Patlabor at about 9:00 at night and Tokyo Godfathers had a steady run this winter all throughtout the day. All of this goes without talking about other "mature" (FLOABW) live-action movies that they show. But here was another anime on at midnight instead of during the day.

I just wanted to know from anyone that has seen the series if it really as adult-like as Encore has led me to believe. Is it really so adult/violent/grotesque that it must be regulated to to 12:00 and 1:00 AM showings? Or is it just another sort of unfair action to anime (anyone remember G4's shortlived anime block at midnight?)

And if you could give your opinion on whether or not its a show I should catch next time I'm up at that hour wouldn't hurt either.
Ilikeulikeme

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:13 pm Reply with quote
camelot187757 wrote:

And if you could give your opinion on whether or not its a show I should catch next time I'm up at that hour wouldn't hurt either.

It's not really adult themed, I think, that's just when they show their anime they aren't gonna show macross for a bit last time I saw it on action was like last year,this is a article about what they are gonna show.
they are changing their schedule from just mon. and fri. to mon.-fri.,too. [/url]
one3rd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:56 pm Reply with quote
It probably has more to do with ratings and advertising. They get more advertising money when more people watch, so they're more likely to show more popular programming at times when people are more likely to watch rather than catering to a niche market in prime-time.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:12 am Reply with quote
Forgive my ignorance to US TV programming schedules one3rd, but isn't Eiken (that awful, banana supertit anime) being shown at like, 7-8 PM? I'd imagine Macross Plus, being one of the best OVA ever made, would be able to rack up a higher audience?

Ah I dunno.
RezSav

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:56 am Reply with quote
Macross was part of the Action channels ani-midnight block (think adult swim). And Samurai 7 comes on IFC, not on Encore
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:45 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Forgive my ignorance to US TV programming schedules one3rd, but isn't Eiken (that awful, banana supertit anime) being shown at like, 7-8 PM? I'd imagine Macross Plus, being one of the best OVA ever made, would be able to rack up a higher audience?

Ah I dunno.

I have absolutely no idea when Eiken airs, but I'm pretty sure that my cable package doesn't include whatever channel it airs on. Thank God.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:03 pm Reply with quote
The Encore Action channel has been airing anime late like that for years, 5 or 6 at least, and they've had some pretty good stuff. They premire all the anime on Tuesdays and Fridays as their Ani-Midnight block, not because all that they show is adult oriented (though some of them are more violent and have nudity and deserve the late broadcast) but because it's a niche product that not everyone watches and so they save the daytime programming for popular stuff. Every once in a while you'll see them put one on durring the day though to fill time.

Quote:
...this is a article about what they are gonna show.
they are changing their schedule from just mon. and fri. to mon.-fri.,too. [/url]

Ah yes thanks for the reminder of the shedule change and the new stuff I'd forgotten about that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1