• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noigeL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Kastel wrote:
noigeL wrote:
they were animated with flash.

The beach episode was animated in Flash in fact. Nobody noticed~!

Yep, that was one of them and I definitely noticed it a few other times.
gsilver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I loved the show, but I also have to agree with the reviewer about how off-putting much of it is. The spectacle of it all won me over, and I also found a lot of it to be funny. Some of it heads too deeply into squick territory, but a lot of it worked for me.

...I'm tempted to re-buy this on Blu-Ray. I preordered the DVDs, and now I'm jealous Laughing
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:
Come to think of it, outside Beau Billingslea and GK Bowes, there aren't many black vas who work on anime series. But like the other guy above me said, I also heard that thing about not many black vas in Texas.

They're few and far between, but they are out there.

Besides the two you mentioned above, there's John Eric Bentley in L.A., Dean Redman who works for Ocean Group, and Bob Carter and Shay Moore for FUNimation.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Panty and Stocking was amusing for the first few episodes, but after that I found the gimmick wore off very quick. They had a lot of care in parodying American animation, from the 30 second theme song repeating the show's name over and over, to the title card with writer credits, to the overall crude humor style and Flash animation. But the thing is once you get accustom to that the show kind of just is more of same until it ends. It would have worked better as a short OVA series or something I find.
LauraOrganaSolo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this show but this review is completely valid.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
An "F"? In a medium that brings us dozens of terrible harem shows, shlock like "Harmageddon" and "Garzey's Wing", and other stuff of that caliber? This is what constitutes an "F" to you? As a fellow critic, I understand that you're paid to give your opinion, but what standards did you base this on? Other gag anime? Masterpieces like stuff by Kon? Because "F" seems exceptionally harsh, implying that it fails on every conceivable level, which almost every other person seems to disagree with. But hey, it's your opinion, and it's your right to have it.

Yes, he does have a right to have his opinion. But he was far too harsh when grading the story.

This show did not have much a plot. It was pretty episodic until the final two or so episodes. And even then, no-one would claim that the plot was any good. But, there's nothing to justify an F for story. Nothing. When you think of an F you think of something that didn't just fail, it failed big time and in almost every way possible. This show's story was puerile but it wasn't a clusterf*ck. When you look past the wacky animation, the sex jokes and all the bodily fluids, it's actually a pretty average plot as far as Anime goes (except of course for the cliffhanger).
noigeL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:12 pm Reply with quote
To give my own thoughts on the show, in some ways I appreciated what it was doing, but I didn't really like it. A lot of the complaints people tend to have about American animated series that imitate Japanese animation can be applied, vice-versa, to Panty and Stocking. Carl was spot on when he said that it copies gross-out western toilet humour without understanding how to make that sort of humour funny. That was especially apparent in the nose-picking story, which was easily my most hated episode of the series.

That said, Hiroyuki Imaishi and the rest of the production crew's knowledge of western animation and movies was quite impressive. The episode titles referenced a ride range of films, including Sergio Leone's Once Upon a Time in America and the Tom Cruise parody character was clearly taken from PT Anderson's Magnolia (which the dub capitalized on nicely). And of course, Chuck was clearly inspired by Gir from Invader Zim, but again, without any understanding of what made Gir funny, Chuck is just kind of annoying. I was surprised at the Ren and Stimpy cameo if only because I'm surprised anyone in Japan would know about that show.

The animation is inconsistent for reasons previously stated, but the art is refreshingly unconventional. Speaking of Imaishi, he was clearly using the experience he gained directing Dead Leaves when designing the look of this show, particularly the comic book sound effects in the background. But where Dead Leaves, IMO, had a better understanding of how to incorporate western animation aesthetics and not overstay it's welcome, Panty and Stocking tries too hard for too long.

I watched the show subtitled, and the voice-overs were fine. I sampled a bit of P&S in English and unlike Carl I'm not sure if I would find any more entertainment value watching it that way. It does well with some of the western influences and sometimes it seemed genuinely funny. Other times I felt like it was just too much. I'm sure the voice actors and crew laughed a lot while working on it, just because it's funny when you're making it, doesn't mean it will be funny when you put it together. Basically, the dub felt like it cranked things up to 23 where the original was already at 11.

The end of Panty and Stocking says "to be continued next season". I'd rather not see more of this, honestly. I'm glad Gainax was willing to take a chance on something different, but I would rather that desire to do something different be applied to different projects than more snot, shit and puke jokes.

EDIT: Oh lord, this is my 69th post. That's just perfect...
Quark

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:39 pm Reply with quote
This review was pretty much spot-on for me. The art style was cool, and the animation was fun to watch, but it absolutely failed at being funny.
It's not even a matter of it being offensive. The most offensive thing about P&S is how bland it was. The bulk of the humour seemed to consist of "Oh look, poop, how funny! Panty likes sex, tee-hee! Someone's puking, hilarious! F***, shit, c***! Oh, I can't BELIEVE we went there!" It's humour that has been done countless times before, and it's incredibly lazy.
I'd much rather watch shows like South Park or Archer. They deal in offensive humour, but also worked on developing great characters, funny dialogue (and not simply relying on expletives and thinking that alone is funny) and occasionally, a storyline with continuity. I'd rather watch Pam and Cheryl trade insults, Butters be adorably naive, Cartman put together a plot to get a million dollars, or Sterling Archer annoy all the people in his life than watch Stocking sitting on the toilet after eating cake, or Panty's sex life.
I didn't hate P&S, it was too boring for me to hate it.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:55 am Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
... (Also: they REALLY couldn't have found a real black guy to voice Garterbelt? I mean, REALLY??)
Wow. So much for being past racial issues.

Requiring the race of an actor to match that of the animated character that he only voices is pretty ridiculous and extremely racist. Somehow I expected that we fans would judge a dub by how it sounds, not by the color of the skin of the guy providing said sound. Crying or Very sad

Protip: though you're diametrically opposed to those who advocate "whitewashing", you're just as racist.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:11 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Wow. So much for being past racial issues.

Requiring the race of an actor to match that of the animated character that he only voices is pretty ridiculous and extremely racist. Somehow I expected that we fans would judge a dub by how it sounds, not by the color of the skin of the guy providing said sound. Crying or Very sad

Protip: though you're diametrically opposed to those who advocate "whitewashing", you're just as racist.

If people get bent out of shape when people cast whites as actors in live-action roles, why can't they do the same when people cast whites as voice-actors? "Judge by their performance and not the color of their skin" applies to both instances.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:28 am Reply with quote
The only black voice actor that I can recall that's worked with FUNi is Marcus Lloyd, and he hasn't really done much, and doesn't really have a deep voice. Chris Sabat's voice is very deep (or it can be, he was apparently trained as an opera singer), and seemed to work out very well to get the same effect. He's even played black characters before, like Officer Black in Dragon Ball (where he even tried to sound like a black guy). Like Titan said, it really makes no difference. The voice is all that matters.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:09 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
also could someone please tell me this twist at the end of the series that people are referring to I have ZERO wish to watch the series after I saw the ok but definitely NOT my cup of tea first episode.

I'm a little baffled that you want to know the plot twist even though you have no interest in watching the show.

spoiler[If I remember correctly, the cliffhanger is that Stocking turns out to be evil and (seemingly) kills Panty.]

LOL ya that would PO people.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:28 am Reply with quote
^
Here is the final scene so you can watch it for yourself (if you want to):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWehq1DTWiE

Last edited by dtm42 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:08 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
Here is the final scene so you watch it for yourself (if you want to):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWehq1DTWiE

Dammit ganiax i'm still not over them ruining Christmas 2010
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:53 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
The only black voice actor that I can recall that's worked with FUNi is Marcus Lloyd, and he hasn't really done much, and doesn't really have a deep voice. Chris Sabat's voice is very deep (or it can be, he was apparently trained as an opera singer), and seemed to work out very well to get the same effect. He's even played black characters before, like Officer Black in Dragon Ball (where he even tried to sound like a black guy). Like Titan said, it really makes no difference. The voice is all that matters.

Like I mentioned above, Bob Carter is black, and he's done quite a few roles for FUNimation over the years.

That having been said, I don't think he could have captured Garterbelt quite the same way that Sabat did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5