• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Ar-moe-geddon

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Zebra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This is a talkback about the podcast. If Zac wasn't implied you are on the wrong thread..

I never specified any single reviewer. My post was for all reviewers; and since Zac is a reviewer then that includes him. I never singled him out specifically though.
Arsenette

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:13 am Reply with quote
Mr. Zebra wrote:
Quote:
This is a talkback about the podcast. If Zac wasn't implied you are on the wrong thread..

I never specified any single reviewer. My post was for all reviewers; and since Zac is a reviewer then that includes him. I never singled him out specifically though.

Simply continuing the argument from another thread into the talkback of this podcast doesn't make my statement any less true. This is about Zac and Chris talking. You are on the wrong thread. I wish more of ANN posters would actually listen to the podcast and talk about them rather than continue the arguments that have nothing to do with the thread.
Swissman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:16 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Swissman wrote:

Shots like these are hardly uncommon in anime and especially in a show about girls like K-ON, but you won't find them in any show which are aimed to kids for example and that for a reason.

You don't watch many Japanese kids shows, do you?

You neither, don't you?

But please, enlighten me, no, all of us. Mr. know-it-all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:18 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

You don't know how to not be an asshole, do you?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:18 am Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:

You neither, don't you?

Amazingly enough, I actually do.

K-On is no more sexualized than Precure, and waaaay less so than shows like Dragonball or Doraemon, or even Sailor Moon.

Hypeathon wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

If thats what you consider "being an asshole" then you need to just stop interacting on the internet at all. At worst that was being slightly brusk.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:19 am Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

You an incredibly low bar for what constitutes being an asshole.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:20 am Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Swissman wrote:

Shots like these are hardly uncommon in anime and especially in a show about girls like K-ON, but you won't find them in any show which are aimed to kids for example and that for a reason.

You neither, don't you?

One Piece, Fairy Tail, Naruto, Dragonball, Rockman.exe, Yu-Gi-Oh, Digimon, Doraemon, Sailor Moon. Despite all being aimed at little kids they're far more sexual than an adult anime like K-ON.
Mr. Zebra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Simply continuing the argument from another thread into the talkback of this podcast doesn't make my statement any less true. This is about Zac and Chris talking. You are on the wrong thread. I wish more of ANN posters would actually listen to the podcast and talk about them rather than continue the arguments that have nothing to do with the thread.

This podcast was about that argument. My original post was not off-topic.
Arsenette

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:21 am Reply with quote
Mr. Zebra wrote:
Quote:

This podcast was about that argument. My original post was not off-topic.

But you said it wasn't about Zac. I mean did you LISTEN to the podcast?
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:24 am Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:

Okay, let me ask the following about the word and how it can be applied in anything. If the word moe is meant to describe this sense of feeling good or positive about what you see and it can be applied in virtually anything period, then why do few people outside of certain communities that share specific interests such as anime use that term? Why is this a term not widespread enough where anyone everywhere will casually use it as part of vocabulary to describe anything that happens to make them feel good?

Maybe there's an obvious answer to that question and I'm not realizing it, but I want just to get to the bottom of why a term with a supposedly broad definition is not applied broadly enough. I mean, Bamboo from what I understand likes sports (and if I'm wrong, she can feel free to correct me) but I don't know if I can imagine her casually using the term moe in vocal conversation to describe when she feels good about whatever sport she sees.

I personally think there's a disconnect between various groups and how they use the term. There are the Japanese otaku, who would naturally use the term from more of it's linguistic roots (I've heard some circles mention that "moe" comes from the Japanese word "moeru", which means to burn, and that in Japanese otaku communities it's come to mean something along the lines of "to burn with passion for"). I think American fans of "moe" anime prefer to adopt this particular definition of 'strong feelings', partially because it's closer to the Japanese usage, and probably also because it has more of a positive, less sexually-charged aura about it.

The broader Western anime fandom, however, have adopted new uses for the term, such that "moe" can now be used almost as a genre identifier, to refer to shows seemingly designed in a way that their characters evoke the "moe" feeling from "moe" fans.

Linguistically speaking, I'd say they're both valid ways of using the word since they're both fairly common. Language is mutable, and it's the common usage that often dictates how words are defined in the dictionaries (which is why words like "tweet" or "facepalm" can appropriate new meaning/enter into existence simply because of popular usage).
Swissman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:31 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Swissman wrote:

You neither, don't you?

Amazingly enough, I actually do.

K-On is no more sexualized than Precure, and waaaay less so than shows like Dragonball or Doraemon, or even Sailor Moon.

Have you actually read my arguments from before, or did you just glance over my post and thought to yourself "hah, he thinks K-ON is more sexualized than [kid's show I know]?! He's completely wrong!"?

@TitanXL

I didn't argue that these kids shows are less sexualized than K-ON. Please read again. What I'm saying here is that the kind of pillow shots which fragment and heighten the female appearance at the same time are nowhere as much being used in kids shows as in a show like K-ON. Being a kind of a voyeur, as a viewer, does not only apply when there is nudity to be seen or sexual situations to laugh at.

Last edited by Swissman on Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:35 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Zebra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I said it wasn't specifically about Zac. And I did listen to the podcast.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:36 am Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:

I didn't argue that these kids shows are less sexualized than K-ON. Please read again. What I'm saying here is that the kind of pillow shots which fragment and heighten the female appearance at the same time are nowhere as much being used in kids shows as in a show like K-ON. Being a kind of a voyeur, as a viewer, does not only apply when there is nudity to be seen or sexual situations to laugh at.

While this may-or-may not be true, its a largely semantics argument.

Also, it gets into the inherently voyeuristic nature of any sort of visual media. Which could be an interesting discussion, I guess?
Arsenette

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:36 am Reply with quote
Mr. Zebra wrote:
Quote:

I said it wasn't specifically about Zac. And I did listen to the podcast.

I just wish more people actually TALK about what they heard in the podcast rather than continue ongoing bit-fests from other threads that most of us want to avoid. And since that apparently isn't going to happen (reading the other posts between ours) I'll take my leave. I forget how ANN forums rarely even have discussions about podcasts.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:37 am Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:

Kid shows do this as well. Focus on the thighs, lips, and armpits? Yep.. we get those shots all the time as well.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 77