• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
where is your anime from?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vengeance01

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:56 am Reply with quote
reason i'm asking is because, when i go to my local film shop its displayed in the 'Cult' section. also mixed into this is the musical films and adult entertainment. Very Happy
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:01 am Reply with quote
Anime section at my local Best Buys.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bennyb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:03 am Reply with quote
EBAY.COM

Bought (all of ) Trigun for $10, Berserk for $25, and other series absurdly cheap. Can't go wrong.... unless you get ripped off.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:07 am Reply with quote
bennyb wrote:
EBAY.COM

Bought (all of ) Trigun for $10, Berserk for $25, and other series absurdly cheap. Can't go wrong.... unless you get ripped off.

Or of course you buy one of the bootlegs that make up 95% of the anime up for sale on eBay.

I buy my anime at comic book shops or at anime conventions.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:13 am Reply with quote
Since there's not a movie store in my mall anymore (Bad Suncoast, Bad!) My anime comes from Right Stuf!
bennyb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:19 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
bennyb wrote:
EBAY.COM

Or of course you buy one of the bootlegs that make up 95% of the anime up for sale on eBay.

This is true, but I've purchased a few dozen series and only once got a bootleg. (before I was educated on them)

As long as you know what you're looking for, they're easy to differentiate from the authentic releases.
Jkid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I get my anime from brick-and-mortar stores and amazon.com
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I get my anime online as you can find some of the best deals that way. Every now and again I will buy an anime movie from a brick and mortar store, sure I will be paying 2 dollars more, but I get instant-gratification. You know I was in Best Buy the other day and I must say I was quite impressed of the anime section, had tons of great titles, singles, boxs, etc. Granted I can get much better deals most of the time online, but I was impressed none the less.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mylene

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I get my anime online as you can find some of the best deals that way. Every now and again I will buy an anime movie from a brick and mortar store, sure I will be paying 2 dollars more, but I get instant-gratification. You know I was in Best Buy the other day and I must say I was quite impressed of the anime section, had tons of great titles, singles, boxs, etc. Granted I can get much better deals most of the time online, but I was impressed none the less.

Best Buys are definitely worth peeking into sometimes. I've scored the individual discs of Azumanga Daioh for less than $9 apiece there, as well as picked up the Kodocha starter box (volume 1 + artbox + Babbit bag) for $9.99 and Madlax volume 1 with artbox for just $10.99. Of course, the rest of the stuff I usually pass on unless it's selling for the same price as online. But still, I like their selection, and it's nice to be able to actually browse the DVD boxes themselves, rather than just looking at pictures online all the time.

That said, I do most of my purchasing online at Right Stuf or Deep Discount DVD, usually through sales and weekly specials, as I try to be frugal with my hobbies, and patience usually pays off eventually.
bennyb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I Windowshop mostly at bestbuy. Only time i buy stuff is marked down, but I also got Azu-Manga single dvd... nadesico essential collection, some Chromartie... all for under $10. It's just random and if it's not on sale you're prolly paying at least $20 per dvd.

Although it beats FYE hands down.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
Kodocha starter box (volume 1 + artbox + Babbit bag) for $9.99 and Madlax volume 1 with artbox for just $10.99.

Shocked I just got back from town, but I will definitely be stopping in tomorrow to check those suckers out. Thanks for the heads-up.
Mylene

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Mylene wrote:
Kodocha starter box (volume 1 + artbox + Babbit bag) for $9.99 and Madlax volume 1 with artbox for just $10.99.

Shocked I just got back from town, but I will definitely be stopping in tomorrow to check those suckers out. Thanks for the heads-up.

I think it depends on where you are as to what's on sale though. Madlax was on sale at Best Buy where I used to live, but not at the new Best Buy. And Kodocha was marked down at the new Best Buy, but not the old. So there's no telling what price those will be where you live. But it's always worth a look.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I buy probably 50 Percent online at ebay, another 45 percent at Rightstuf. And I normally go to this little retail shop near me called "Anime Club" (Original huh?) when I am looking to just buy the next .hack novel or newest Monster manga. One thing that was cool was that this shop had a brand new Vol 1 SE (Tin) of fullmetal alchemist on it shelf Monday! I grab that baby and now I have tins of Vol 1. I am probably going to sell one, to make some money, but that why I like going to little stores sometimes they don't what they have. Like Gamestop, I remember buying the original NGE collection for around 40 bucks all new with the new movies.

But still I do like to go to Best Buy to windowshop, actually come to think of it I did buy Lain there when I was really dirt cheap and I had that gift card.......
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
cheezisgoooood

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I've bought some things from Amazon.com, bestbuy.com, Best Buy itself, deepdiscountdvd.com, and rightstuf.com.

These days I usually just look at DDD and TRSI since they have the best prices, but I also occasionally enjoy visiting Best Buy, for the same reasons as everyone else in this thread.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Best Buy; best selection and best prices for where I live. At the local Sam Goody's the average volume is $10 more, yes, 10, that is absurd!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2