• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Feeling left out?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
x_Hisoka_x

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Not having the experience of watching tons of anime leaves me feeling left out. I have a good time and all on this forum but it sucks being able to only respond to Samurai Champloo threads and telling people to check out Samurai Champloo on request threads. It sucks logging on and checking the thread and seeing posts about shows I have never even seen. Most days I don't post anything at all. Do any of you feel left out do to your lack of anime knowledge and the lack of experience with not watching tons of different shows?
omar235

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I would give you a hyper link to a website where you see some anime for free but thats not allowed. Could I PM you??
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:38 pm Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
Could I PM you??

No you may not. Blatantly finding ways to work around our rules is ESPECIALLY frowned upon, and will only get you in deeper trouble, as it only proves you know our rules, and are just openly, actively defying them. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jaybug39

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Yup, feel that way plenty. Especially when they are talking about stuff you can only get by downloading.

Oh well. Just wait for the mailbox to fill with my selections, so I can try to catch up with all the old posters. But I seem to manage to keep a month behind what everyone else is watching.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Newcomer wrote:
Not having the experience of watching tons of anime leaves me feeling left out. I have a good time and all on this forum but it sucks being able to only respond to Samurai Champloo threads and telling people to check out Samurai Champloo on request threads. It sucks logging on and checking the thread and seeing posts about shows I have never even seen. Most days I don't post anything at all. Do any of you feel left out do to your lack of anime knowledge and the lack of experience with not watching tons of different shows?

Sometimes I feel left out since I don't download any anime, but on the other hand, this forum gives me good ideas of what to keep in mind when they do arrive legitimately here in the States. (Not that I need any help spending any money)
Fui

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:16 pm Reply with quote
What, you mean you feel left out for not being able to participate in the most popular thread in recent ANN history: The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi? I believe the last episode aired recently, but I could be wrong.

Do you mean left out of ANN? In that case, not particularly since there aren't too many threads about new anime. Most of the interesting discussion on these forums isn't about certain series anyway, it's mostly about news and columns/articles. If you meant felt out of the anime loop, then I suppose a little. My friends are usually ahead of me on the buzz, and when you go to visit places that start talking about episodes that were released as RAWs less than a minute ago, then I guess a little. There's no rush though, enjoy the anime you have right now and expand your collection if you have a problem with it.

Anyway, if the question is a rhetorical one by any means you know the answer. "Don't ask, don't tell" is the unsaid policy. Otherwise, learn Japanese, move to Japan, get cable and watch the episodes before everyone else. That's my plan, at least...kind of.
opaquescum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:04 am Reply with quote
Sometimes I actually feal the same way. Usually it happens when someone drops in their favorite fansub. I have a negative oppinion about fansubs, and often fansub watchers are insensitive to the fealings of others on the matter. Though thats a matter for a spirited debate thread. Personally once I see the fansubbers come into a thread, or find they have already been there. I duck out.

Sometimes I feal the same on the other end of the coin. Where people are not as experienced with anime as I am. Nothing like trying to discuss a older series that nobody around has seemed to have seen. Sometimes it feals like the forum has a mere two year memory to it.

So I suppose I can see both ends of the spectrum. On one hand the hipper posters, or atleast the more motivated ones are really into fansubs which I care not for. Then on the other hand alot of the legal fair types are really limited to what they get on Adult Swim, Toonami, and a little Anime network.

Personally I am getting tired of FMA, and its like comeing up in just about every thread. I am glad that the original poster is starting to feal the same way. I always love to see someone looking for something similar to Fafner, and another poster recommends FMA. What the their nothing alike. On one hand it drives me up the wall, and on the other I can empathise. After all the poster is just trying to be helpful it is not their fault that their entire experience is limited to the Cartoon Network.

Some good advice to help you out though. Look into getting a online rental membership. There are hundreds of series out there to rent. That is about all you can really do to catch up is write down common series mentioned ones you cannot see on television, and then get a membership. Once you do that you could feasibly see three to four series a month, and in a few months you will have a full head of steam.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:03 am Reply with quote
I was for some time on this board feeling like that, then Monster brought me back to. At first all I had was FMA which had ended it fansub and wasn''t yet stateside so it wasn't a popular discussion. Oh yea I did have the AU Gundam, but I was so afraid to bring those up, because the last couple of boards that I belong to would never have anyone post in them because as they put it "AU is stupid don't discuss it here" so I was a little worried to be chased off if I did that. But I just think that you need to expand your anime viewing. I mean I don't know what your Fincinal situation is like but Netflix is a great way to have access to a library of different titles. I mean I am finally getting a chance to FLCL (awesome BTW) and oh so many other shows. I think that is a great way.

But yes it is a little depressing (not really the right word) that when I log on its always Melancholy, or some other show I am not watching. But what really turns me off about this site is the amount of people asking for "Help me find a new ANIME SHOWS PLEASE!" I mean it just a little irrating, when that the only topic available for discussion. And the thing about that is it that not really a topic that people can discuss, most post in those types of threads are like "Try Monster its the best drama series ever" "What about Samurai Champloo, it has action, swords, and comedy."

From the standpoint of those who don't watch fansub, I do feel somewhat bad for, I mean a lot of topic are generally featuring shows that are being fansub, and even if you are trying to watch that show your so far behind on where that thread is you feel out of place.

My advise is simply trying to find new show you like, and then start a topic on it. People who did enjoy that show, even if they have finished it will generally come back to post in it sharing their thoughts and ideas. I hope that I was some help in answering your question.
Till next time,
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:16 am Reply with quote
There are many here (including myself) who have never downloaded an anime title, but have seen a bunch of titles through purchases, rentals and what's broadcasted. There seems to be two waves of discusions for a given show. One when the series makes it's fansub debut, and a second wave when it has it's R1 release. Sometimes it even gets a 1.5 wave from a US tv airing before or after it's R1 release. I sometimes feel left out of the initial loop for shows like Monster and Basilisk but eventually I will use the search feature to catch up on those topics when they are released in the States. I just spent the day watching the first volumes of Tactics and This Ugly Yet Beutiful World (shipped a bit early) so I can now catch up on any posts on these shows from when they first entered the fansub community.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:31 am Reply with quote
Another suggestion to get more exposure and get "in" on discussions it to check the frontpage news and columns like AnswerMan, where you can usually discusss things as they're reported and the "elites" don't have a time advantage. And, if you come across a series that seems interesting, you can always check out reviews on this site, Animeondvd, themanime, anidb, or other sites and learn more about it. Finding spoiler-free reviews can be tough, but most of the time, the first or second discs of a series won't have too many earth-shattering events to spoil.
And like others said, keep watching more series on TV, or buy, rent, borrow, or download them (*most* posters on this forum won't look down on you for downloading fansubs of R1-unlicensed anime, at least). I think that most of the time, the seasoned forumites don't mind discussing series that aren't the "latest and greatest", as it's a welcome break from "what anime should I watch next?", "where can I download [series]?", "Is watching fansubs okay?", and of course, "Who would win in a fight, Gaara or Goku?" Rolling Eyes; the recent thread about Aishiteru ze Baby got a bit of discussion, and it's a relatively unknown series that ended its fansub run a few years ago.
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:43 am Reply with quote
Every now and again I get caught up with the 'everyone has seen more anime, must catch up!!!' vibe, and try to watch anime just because I want to have watched as many as my anime watching friends have and be able to talk about it.

But then I remind myself that I watch anime to enjoy it, not so I can tick off some list somewhere and say 'Seen that!'
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:39 am Reply with quote
I can see where you`re coming from, not being able to watch a lot of anime myself, but part of that reason is because I don`t go out to get the anime to watch. There`s always rentals.
omar235

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:36 am Reply with quote
Righty right, sorry guess I cant PM you. Embarassed Embarassed

P.S. I do buy ALOT of anime, I just dont always have the money.Oh, and I only heard from someone that you werent allowed to discuss it so I thought a PM would be ok, very sorry.
bennyb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:03 am Reply with quote
Yea, it is kinda a slap in the face when people blatantly talk about series unavailable in the U.S. like everyone and their mother could download em.... when in reality many people don't have fast enough connections/fast enough computers/have morals.* Smile

*If it's good, and I downloaded it, I buy it when it's available. I've already done this with almost a dozen series
patch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:30 am Reply with quote
I can see it being frustrating and confusing to newcomers.

On one hand you are told that fansubs are bad and evil and don't give any information on where to get them, then on the other hand, about 90% of the threads here are related to unlicensed series that people are obvisouly watching the fansubs.

It's a catch 22 I guess Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4