• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Suggestions on new series to watch?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
votli

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Hello,

I have recently gotten into anime series and have watched the DBZ and Yu Yu Hakusho series. I am now looking to get into a new series, but I have no idea what I would like that would be similar to those 2. I have heard possibly Rurouni Kenshin or Inuyasha... can anyone recommend a series? Thanks.
votli

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I just read more about this forum and I understand I am supposed to write what I liked about the series not just looking for similar genre's. I guess I liked that each series focuses on the main character getting stronger and having to face down a main opponent - gaining new powers on the way. Just as in DBZ it was vegeta, frieza, cell then buu and yu yu was rando, saint beasts, toguro, sensui and yomi.
opaquescum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:05 pm Reply with quote
First off welcome to the world of anime. I take it you like the entire action oriented dynamic of these series, and prefer the supernatural fighting type of style. Here are some solid suggestions.

Naruto is increadibly popular right now. You can see this on Cartoon network, and they have just started to release the DVDs. The premise is pretty much what you found in Dragonball. A few young kids trying to build up their fighting skills. In this case its ninja based. The series is even set up the way Dragonball is.

Dragonball the prequel series to Dragonball Z. Both are very similar. You just get to see the gang in their early years. The fighting may be a bit more childish, and the series dosen't really revolve about faceing just one bad guy. The series is more about hunting down the dragonballs, and the adventures the gang has along the way.

Ninja Scroll the series. Not as long as most series, but you get a major helping of action, and in my oppinion the style of the enemies is really quite refreshing. For a good judge on whether you will like this series check out Ninja Scroll the movie. I doubt anyone on these forums would argue that the movie is not a classic.

Many people love Rurouni Kenshin, but I would advise you to pass on this for the time being. Atleast until you know what is you really love in a series. Different people have different tastes, and you should probabally work on sticking to what you really like first. Just a word of wisdom for these forums.

Avoid the bandwagon alot of people who will recommend Inuyasha, or Kenshin to you. Even though they dispise DBZ with a passion. People will often recommend a series they love even if it does not fit the bill. So just be a little cautious about hype. Simply following the trend might take you away from what you really like. Look to the poster whos tastes you think most match your own.

P.S. You might want to look into getting an online renting membership to a site like netflix. This is a good way to get a massive amount of anime to watch on the cheap. Plus it lets you sample series before going out to buy.
RDespair

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Naruto is basically the new and improved Dragon Ball Z, but with ninjas. It's easily your best choice for something new to check out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yusuke1022

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:32 pm Reply with quote
votli wrote:
Hello,

I have recently gotten into anime series and have watched the DBZ and Yu Yu Hakusho series. I am now looking to get into a new series, but I have no idea what I would like that would be similar to those 2. I have heard possibly Rurouni Kenshin or Inuyasha... can anyone recommend a series? Thanks.
well if your downloading it watch everything i mention but if you watch it on tv then adult swim saturday night has a flawless line-up. Inuyasha (you might want to download because all there is is fillers), Full Metal Alchemist, Eureka 7 (new show but its awesome), Ghost in the Shell (awesome), Samurai Champloo (awesome), Cowboy Bebop (one of my faves).
If you haven't seen Dragonball I'd go for that too. Yu Yu Hakusho is my all time fave though.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:12 am Reply with quote
Bobobo-bobobobo is fun comedy/action series, and in my opinion (although I'm not really big on shounen anime, so I'm sure others would say different) one of the better shows on Cartoon Network. At least one good laugh and fight scene is guaranteed per episode. The humor is really hit-or-miss, so I recommend checking out one episode on TV to decide if this is something that interests you. It's the type of series where if you don't like one episode, you probably won't like the rest.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:51 am Reply with quote
Law of Ueki. If you liked the tournament arcs from Dragonball Z and Yu Yu Hakusho, you'll probably like this one. It's not in my tastes (I don't enjoy tournament-type stuff too much), but it's good fun for any shounen fan. And yeah, it's pretty much "protagonist starts out not too strong, and defeats enemy after enemy while getting stronger each time and learning some new things."

Bleach. The first arc is quite similar to the setup of Yu Yu Hakusho, with the main protagonist, Ichigo, slashing and hacking through the monsters of the world (Hollows) while getting a bit stronger each time. He eventually has to face an even greater challenge, meeting many enemies and getting stronger each time. Flashy fights and cool techniques as well.

Wolverine Princess wrote:
Bobobo-bobobobo is fun comedy/action series

For more wackiness and parody, check out Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi. It's just a laugh riot (Osaka dialect makes it even funnier), and parodies almost every type of anime. Plus, the main character does a Kamehameha in Episode 4. Laughing
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:10 am Reply with quote
I'd recommend checking out some of the series played on Cartoon Network's Toonami and [Adult Swim] blocks. They play some pretty popular shows (and some good ones too Wink) - Fullmetal Alchemist, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Comlpex, Cowboy Bebop, Naruto, and will be getting Bleach soon, too.

Since this is a hobby you're just getting into, a free (minus the cost of cable) preview of some popular shows is probably a good place to start. That way you're not out spending money on things you don't know about, or end up not liking.

Along the same lines, I'd also recomend some sort of DVD rental subscription. My service has a great selection of titles, and has given me the opportunity to view a large number of series I wouldn't have been able to see or afford. This way, I can also try out the first disk, and forget about the rest if I don't dig it.
hopeful

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:18 am Reply with quote
Cowboy Bebop: Just an overall good series.

Elfen Lied: Like the person said above look it up first. Since it isn't a title for younger people.

Berserk: Might not be for everyone either, but I enjoyed it.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Just an overall good series.

Hikaru no Go: An interesting title so far. Even though the subject matter might bore you a bit.

Chrno Crusade: Showed the first DVD to some friends who enjoyed DBZ and they loved it.

GunGrave: Nice gun fights.

GetBackers: So far this series seems pretty interesting.

Fighting Spirit: Similar to DBZ in that he's fights stronger enemies as time goes by. At first the artwork turned me off, but once I had gotten used to it the show was pretty good.

Also I agree with what Bruce Lee suggested about getting a rental service for your anime. It's a good way to try out alot of anime without having to spend as much to see it.
free2slap

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:56 am Reply with quote
as someone already mentioned if you liked yu yu hakusho then you would definetely like hunter x hunter because they're from the same creator and it's like naruto and DBZ but better with a more reasonable supportive story.
prettygirl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:08 pm Reply with quote
opaquescum wrote:
Many people love Rurouni Kenshin, but I would advise you to pass on this.

Avoid the bandwagon alot of people who will recommend Inuyasha, or Kenshin to you. Even though they dispise DBZ with a passion.

On the contrary to what "opaquescum" says, Rurouni Kenshin is so good that you are bound to like it regardless of whether or not you are a Dragonball fan ( Laughing ). So don't miss an opportunity to check out this great series. If you don't try new stuff, you'll never know, right?

What I suggest is to try out series that are similar to Dragonball first, such as Naruto. Then, when you have nothing else to watch or are ready to try something new, then go for Rurouni Kenshin. Don't give up on it completely though!
rocketdustf40

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:48 am Reply with quote
Well starter out anime, would have to be Akira(sp) a great movie. Also Princess Mononoke.

Elfen Lied: A diclinous has escaped from a secret government lab. While her escaped she kills nearly 23 guards with her invisible hands called 'vectors'. She manages to get out the compound and when she thinks she's free she gets shot by a sniper. Although she can block bullet, a anti tank rifle wasn't enough to protect her. But she tilted her hand just in the right angle to protect her. You see she had a helmet on. She falls to the ocean, but as you read she didn't die...

The next morning two college kids find this girl, but there is something different, the once vicious girl is now a amnesia stucken girl. And then when it's starts, memories and depression are almost everywhere in this anime. Pity for characters as well. This anime is not for immature people, there is nudity and a lot of violence, but the worst is some molesting scenes, you can't see them, but you know that they are occuring. This is currently my favorite anime and if you have 6 hours you can see all of it in one setting. There are 13 episodes and 1 OVA, which is episode 10.5. I still haven't seen it in one setting, i will thought one day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:02 pm Reply with quote
DragonBall: the prequel to DBZ, much more comedy, but an epic and fun adventure.

Naruto: The big thing right now.

One Piece: If you can track down the manga or R2 Japanese DVDs, it's the biggest shonen series in Japan. It. HAS. PIRATES. But yet, you like them and root for them. They're not the villians.

Bleach: Similar premise to YYH, but a series that's unique & all it's own.

Fighting Spirit: A boxing anime, but has an addictive storyline and very endearing characters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1