• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Wolf Children, SAO, Kuroko's Basketball Win Tokyo Anime Awards

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:35 pm Reply with quote
SAO is the best series from last year. You may disagree, but your opinion is not more valid than mine.

Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Kuroko's deserves it if only on the basis of being a series that has survived as much bullshit as it has.

Well this argument I can agree with lol

Anyways I don't put Kuroko on the same level of disappointment that SAO is but I also don't think it offers anything unique for anime as a whole. Again it won because it was a top seller.

Wolf Children however won important awards besides this one and ones the clearly don't just have to do with popularity & sales.

you don't know what are you talking about. SAO is not the best selling anime last year. Wolf Children is one of the highest earner last year. it earns more than the new eva movie in theater.
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Glad SAO won one of the awards, loved every minute of it, near perfect for me. I know some people hate it but you can't please everyone. Heard nothing but good things about Kuroko as well so happy for that.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:03 pm Reply with quote
>SAO winning anything

This contest is more rigged than Soviet Elections were.
BarCho66

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quote
BarCho66 wrote:

I'm not sure what you can consider "important" awards anymore.

It won the Japanese Academy award for best animated film
It won two awards at the Oslo Film from the South (an International award)
It won an audience award at the NY Children's Film Festival (again competing against international films).

So yeah it won several awards that have nothing to do with "sales". And I would be surprised if it didn't win more awards.

Neither of those awards are "important"and are just as heavily biased as this one, infact Hosada has been given the award every year he gets a new film release. You claim that those awards are more significant because you like the film itself not because they're actually fair.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:05 pm Reply with quote
BarCho66 wrote:

Neither of those awards are "important"and are just as heavily biased as this one, infact Hosada has been given the award every year he gets a new film release. You claim that those awards are more significant because you like the film itself not because they're actually fair.

Every award by its very nature is biased but that doesn't say it is not important. How do you determine if an award is an important or not. Being internationally recognized is important whether you like to believe it or not.

And no Hosoda did not win those awards every year. This is the first time he won that Oslo award.

GrayArchon wrote:
if a popular series that you like was there in the place of SAO, would you be complaining?

If it was a popular series that I didn't like but I didn't think was one of the worst series to come out in awhile I also would not care.

Hence I am not thrilled about Kuroko no Basket winning but I don't actually care that it won. SAO winning is nonsense to me and yeah that is my opinion. I never said otherwise.

Quote:
Really, just because you don't think a series was all that, doesn't mean other people don't have good valid reasons for thinking that it was

I hope it won because of its popularity because it has absolutely no merit beyond that, besides being extremely sexist and typical fodder for the core fanbase in Japan.

Nothing is universally loved of course but I am not the only one with very low opinions of SAO.
BarCho66

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:02 pm Reply with quote

Every award by its very nature is biased but that doesn't say it is not important. How do you determine if an award is an important or not. Being internationally recognized is important whether you like to believe it or not.

Not really. Why do you think people have stopped taking the Oscars seriously in recent years? Awards generally hold little merit in anything nowadays.

And no Hosoda did not win those awards every year. This is the first time he won that Oslo award.

Re-read my post. I'm referring to the Japanese Academy awards everytime a new of his comes out.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
BarCho66 wrote:

Not really. Why do you think people have stopped taking the Oscars seriously in recent years? Awards generally hold little merit in anything nowadays.

I am saying being internationally awarded is important for a film. It gives you recognition outside your home country.

As for the Oscars they might not be the best judge of the quality of a movie but they are important to the person who wins it as they are being recognized by their peers in the industry. So the film industry at least does take the Oscars seriously.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Winning Oscars increases marketability of a single film, as well as anyone majorly involved in it. Whether or not critics hold any faith in them is irrelevant, the big best winner will also tout its award on the BD cover, and an actor who wins will always be acknowledged as an Academy Award winner. This all translates into money, and is why anime needs to win here as often as possible. I know that means politicking for anime to anime on the basis of it being anime, even if I may enjoy some other animation more than Wolf Children this year, I'd have to vote for the anime as a matter of increasing anime's status and recognition.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't see why Kuroko no Basuke Anime should get an award just because of what its fans have had to put up with. The threats disrupted the wider franchise and various events, whereas the television series was unaffected.

Spotlesseden wrote:
SAO is the best series from last year. You may disagree, but your opinion is not more valid than mine.

No, however facts are more valid than opinions, especially yours. And the fact of the matter is that Sword Art Online was not anywhere close to being the objectively best series from 2012.
Pangea

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:10 pm Reply with quote
SAO is fking popular. Deal with it. It wasn't a masterpiece but it was enjoyable.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:32 pm Reply with quote
^
So what if its popular? The point is that it isn't good. It's certainly not the best-equal series of 2012. That's what people have an issue with.
Splitter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Pangea wrote:
SAO is fking popular. Deal with it.

This is why I don't associate myself with anime fans anymore.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:53 pm Reply with quote
GrayArchon wrote:
if a popular series that you like was there in the place of SAO, would you be complaining?

If it was a popular series that I didn't like but I didn't think was one of the worst series to come out in awhile I also would not care.

Hence I am not thrilled about Kuroko no Basket winning but I don't actually care that it won. SAO winning is nonsense to me and yeah that is my opinion. I never said otherwise.

So, in other words, if a popular series that you like wins an award, it was totally deserved based on on it's quality and merits. If a popular series that you don't like wins an award, it just won because it was a popular best selling series because it's quality and merits are irrelevant.

Yeah, that's not how it works.

Quote:
Really, just because you don't think a series was all that, doesn't mean other people don't have good valid reasons for thinking that it was

I hope it won because of its popularity because it has absolutely no merit beyond that, besides being extremely sexist and typical fodder for the core fanbase in Japan.

Nothing is universally loved of course but I am not the only one with very low opinions of SAO.[/quote]

Again, just because you believe a series doesn't have merit, doesn't mean that it doesn't have merit, or that others think it has merit. Saying "I am not the only one with a very low opinions of SAO" is invalid in attacking it as it is in defending it. So yes, I'm pretty sure it won on it's merit. Granted, what decided the judges is hard to say, "best series" is pretty subjective. Still it's doubtful they went "So which series were the most popular this year? Ok, let's pick a couple at random."

dtm42 wrote:
I don't see why Kuroko no Basuke Anime should get an award just because of what its fans have had to put up with. The threats disrupted the wider franchise and various events, whereas the television series was unaffected.

I doubt the judges went "Kuroko's Basket's fan base has go through a lot this year with that crazy guy making threats and getting events closed. Let's give them a best series award to make them feel better."

Quote:
No, however facts are more valid than opinions, especially yours. And the fact of the matter is that Sword Art Online was not anywhere close to being the objectively best series from 2012.

Unfortunately for you, that's not a fact, it's your opinion.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed SAO, but i really dont care that it won an award.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Unfortunately for you, that's not a fact, it's your opinion.

But it is a fact. Analyzing it objectively, SAO's plot and characterization are, at best, average, and frequently mediocre.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5