• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Anime Is Dead, Long Live Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:06 am Reply with quote
Vent wrote:
faintsmile1992 wrote:
I'm not sure Oshii is a total grump. He had kind words for Tales from Earthsea. And I think good quality anime is still produced ie. Journey to Agartha, though its Ghibli influences were obvious.

Yes, but on the other hand, he said good things about Tales from Earthsea. Which says a lot about his taste, again.
Or that Oshii noticed people were jumping on the bandwagon of Ghibli-bashing. What did Oshii say exactly? I remember him reminding people that Tales from Earthsea was Goro Miyazaki's first film. If you look at it that way, which is reasonable, then Tales from Earthsea is at least as good as (for example) Makoto Shinkai's earliest work when he was proclaimed as the new Miyazaki. If it weren't for Goro's father being Hayoi Miyazaki, no one would have held his first film up to a ridiculously high standard. People need to be given a chance before they can improve.

Quote:
Also, "too deep" is a total oversimplification of the problems people have with GITS 2. I get exactly what it was trying to say, but Oshii should have found a less boring and dense way to say it.
But if you found it 'dense' then you aren't the audience he was aiming at. Taste and preferences aside, it is simply pointless to criticise a director for achieving precisely what he intended. Which is a film about dense philosophy, as you put it.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:08 am Reply with quote
As for why CG animation hasn't taken off in Japan, are we forgetting that maybe Japanese animators and viewers prefer 2D animation? You can't peg Ghibli for avoiding CG because of budget concerns. Chances are if they made a CG movie, it would be five times the cost and still make much less than the average Ghibli film. Most anime go with a tried and true formula, and even if CG wasn't more expensive, I doubt neither the audience or the animators would willingly embrace it.
SahgoDN

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:05 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

No Shaft, no Kyoto, are people stuck ten years in the past for some reason? Even the dislikes seem retro...

The second-to-last answerfan did say Kyoto was his favorite.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:10 am Reply with quote
I would wholly enjoy less and watch less anime if more fully CG projects were coming out. Appleseed is still ugly, Berserk isn't much of an improvement.
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I remember about, wow 7 years ago, probably, I was at an FYE. This particular location had, in it's anime section, several used DVD box sets of shows like Ranma, Inuyasha, Cowboy Bebop, and a few others that were HK bootlegs. I used to just ignore them, even though the prices (based on the OFFICIAL sets) were outrageous, and likely more than the original owner had paid. One day, the manager was rude to me (I forget what he did, it's been so long), so I made a phone call to the head office to report they were selling bootleg merchandise.
Next time I was there, both the bootlegs AND the manager were gone. I asked another employee, and apparently the manager not only knew they were bootleg, he also accepted bootleg trade-ins of mainstream stuff, regular movies and such.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Hey I'm a grumpy old git too! That's why I agree with him. To me anime these days is like Baskin & Robbins; 1000 flavors of tits, arse, pants, and little girls, but not necessarily in that order. Laughing
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:37 pm Reply with quote
faintsmile1992 wrote:
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:
Miyazaki and Oshii are both certainly quite grumpy, though, and Oshii is definitely rather nutty. But not because he doesn't love Porco Rosso as much as we do.
Care to elaborate, or is it just because he's able to understand philosophy? Nowadays, anyone is regarded as 'nutty' if they have serious interests in such matters I guess.
Watch his Japanorama interview. Remember in that FLCL preview when Haruko says Oshii thinks he's a dog? She wasn't kidding.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Hey I'm a grumpy old git too! That's why I agree with him. To me anime these days is like Baskin & Robbins; 1000 flavors of tits, arse, pants, and little girls, but not necessarily in that order. Laughing

I'm only 23 and I think this, I would really hate to see what I'm like when I'm over 30.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Regarding the reporting of copyright violations on YouTube --- as far as I've seen, YouTube's system only allows for the copyright holders themselves to report violations, not just any user who stumbles on an infringing video. When you click the "report violation" button and go through the forms to report a copyright violation, they specifically state that they don't accept third-party notifications of copyright infringement. It's an unfortunate system, as it leaves the entire policing of YouTube's content up to the rights holders, and doesn't allow regular users to at least flag for review content that may be infringing.

Note that for fansub groups that do not approve of their work being put up on free streaming sites for use by leech streaming front ends, they have the right to report if their fansub is used. Since their fansub is a derivative work, they do not have the right to distributed without permission of the original content creator, but neither does anyone else have permission to distribute their work without their permission in addition to the original content creator.

Dattabayo used to seem to enjoy reporting streaming uploads of works using their fansubs.

But, yeah, in general the people to report it to are the people who hold the copyrights. A long list of links with series names and episode titles can reduce their workload if they care to take action.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:24 pm Reply with quote
So Answerman doesn't think Sky Crawlers was a good movie? I watched it again a few months back, and was surprised again at what an emotional response I had at the end. An emotional response! In an Oshii movie (I say that as a huge Oshii fan, btw; not bashing his other work). Sure, it's a slow burn getting there, but I really enjoyed that film.

BTW, the Miyazaki/Oshii grumpfest reminded me of these comments by another great director:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-02-20/hideaki-anno-releases-statement-about-new-evangelion-movies
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:09 pm Reply with quote
As to my opinion on the question of what anime studios tend to be the most consistent well frankly I can only judge based on style as every studio has high and low points with the shows themselves.

I'd say the works of Toei or TMS I see always seem to look pushed out and low budget. NHK does too but NHK really an animation house so not exactly counting.

As for always high quality of animation, studios like P.A. Works and Kyoto I think always consistently make visually striking works for the TV market.

I'd say many other studios such as GAINAX, BONES, Sunrise, Bee Train, Production I.G, XEBEC, SHAFT and so on tend to be quite scattered in the range of quality anywhere from fantastic to poor depending on the production company attached, be it GENCO (usually high end), NHK (low end), TV Tokyo (mid to high), Flying Dog/Victor (mid to low), Aniplex (high I guess) and whomever else.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I agree with the sentiment, but I'm not sure about the simile. What Baskin Robins are you going to?!!

Shocked
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:
faintsmile1992 wrote:
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:
Miyazaki and Oshii are both certainly quite grumpy, though, and Oshii is definitely rather nutty. But not because he doesn't love Porco Rosso as much as we do.
Care to elaborate, or is it just because he's able to understand philosophy? Nowadays, anyone is regarded as 'nutty' if they have serious interests in such matters I guess.
Watch his Japanorama interview. Remember in that FLCL preview when Haruko says Oshii thinks he's a dog? She wasn't kidding.
I haven't seen that interview but I own the Stray Dog of Anime book and likening himself to a dog seemed rather philosophical to me. The notion is that animals represent life itself, and machines represent life-denying materialism. Kind of like in DADOES.

I don't know about you but I'd rather be a dog than a robot, even if I prefer cats on the grounds that cats are a superior race.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
faintsmile1992 wrote:
I haven't seen that interview but I own the Stray Dog of Anime book and likening himself to a dog seemed rather philosophical to me. The notion is that animals represent life itself, and machines represent life-denying materialism. Kind of like in DADOES.
He was quoted to say he loves Bassett hounds because he looks so much like one, and he's right too. Laughing
DirtyCircle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Would anyone please clarify where I can find the Miyazaki bashing Patlabor 2 interview?

Because Justin mentions it occasionally on the ANNCast, I looked it up and so far watched the first two films and preordered the OVA blu-ray.

Personally, I wasn't so crazy about 2 at all and actually consider the first to be far superior (unless we are talking animation quality.)

But yeah, any help would be appreciated. I'm really digging into the whole Patlabor-world and would like to hear/read as much as I can about the franchise.

Heck, I've even started looking into where I can find the DVDs of the TV series but that and the anger I feel at the cost of the complete New Files is a whole other post.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4