• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tiger & Bunny Blu-Ray 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:

Personally, I would have given this dub a solid A or A+; especially when compared to the drivel dubs Sentai has been shoving out recently. At least the dialogue delivery in T&B feels natural.

There, now it's correctly right. Funimation? Zombie's too good by half to count it off as "drivel" and I like Bang Zoom. In fact, they're the ony dubs I like that's Sentai's released.

Wally Wingert's performance is a sticking point? Shows what I know since to me, he's Ant-man, possibly a superhero as it's always hard to tell with Hank Pym. Wild Tiger's a little too dumb for his performance as anyone that dumb doesn't get the right to be that sarcastic but Wingert manages to pull off "overexuberance" rather than just plain stupidity. I can buy it if I don't think on it too hard.

Sad to say but what I like best about the Tiger and Bunny BD is the 7, 6 episode count. Still a good number of shows per disk without the second disk giving me "anime singles" flashbacks.
HybridMedia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, I forgot about most of Sentai Filmworks' titles.......considering the good dubs they got aren't used by their own people.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Review commentary aside, there's one little detail that came up in the first half that I found curious, and I'd be interested to hear the views of others about it.

I'm specifically referring to a scene in episode 9, the one with the baby. In the scene where Kotetsu is first getting saddled with babysitter duty, Blue Rose reacts in a peculiar fashion when she (and apparently many of the other Heroes, too) learns for the first time that Kotetsu is both a widower and has a 9-year-old daughter. I was tempted to interpret that as a sign that she was getting thrown off because she had an interest in Kotetsu and hadn't appreciated how much older and more worldly he was, but after watching that scene a couple of times I'm not sure if that's the intended interpretation. Thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Review commentary aside, there's one little detail that came up in the first half that I found curious, and I'd be interested to hear the views of others about it.

I'm specifically referring to a scene in episode 9, the one with the baby. In the scene where Kotetsu is first getting saddled with babysitter duty, Blue Rose reacts in a peculiar fashion when she (and apparently many of the other Heroes, too) learns for the first time that Kotetsu is both a widower and has a 9-year-old daughter. I was tempted to interpret that as a sign that she was getting thrown off because she had an interest in Kotetsu and hadn't appreciated how much older and more worldly he was, but after watching that scene a couple of times I'm not sure if that's the intended interpretation. Thoughts?

I'm not sure how much of the show you've seen so if you haven't seen all of it I'll try not to spoil you but that scene was definently meant spoiler[to show Blue Rose has an attraction to Kotetsu], though personally I hadn't really noticed it until then Laughing

Last edited by Divineking on Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I might be misunderstanding your question but I am going to put this under a spoiler cut just in case because I forget when this is made explicit about Blue Rose.

spoiler[Blue Rose definitely has a crush on Kotetsu so what you are saying can be interpreted as part of her reaction perhaps]

But I also think that scene is important because a lot of the other heroes viewed Kotetsu as sort of irresponsible but I think that showed another side to him.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Key, I'm surprised that a genre-savvy guy like you didn't spot the significance of that scene immediately.

Here is an image of a funny scene that will appear in the show's second half. Pay attention to the cover's lower half, especially the pink line of text at the very bottom. And no, the picture is not a spoiler if you have read the two posts before my own.

Last edited by dtm42 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:34 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Haha! Nice, I never noticed that lower pink text before Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Okay, that's what I thought. And I agree that there isn't clear evidence of it before that scene. Should be amusing to see how that plays out in the second half, then. (I've only seen what was on the Blu-Ray so far.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Wow, it has been forever since I posted on the forum...

As someone who watched the whole thing streamed, liked the first half, adored the second half, and really wants a second season, obviously I'm going to buy this... but I'm curious: Blu-Ray or DVD? There was some sloppy animation in the TV release, and I'm just curious if it genuinely looks good in HD, or whether it makes the flaws more noticeable. Is it worth the extra price? Especially since I don't yet have a player or an HDTV, though I plan to in the not-to-distant future...I mean, I've seen both the HD and the DVD of Mawaru Penguindrum and I know it sure as heck makes a difference there, but how does Tiger & Bunny hold up?
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:40 am Reply with quote
It looks gorgeous in HD. One of the better anime blu rays I've watched in a while. It's only real problems I've had involve the cgi clashing with the 2D, but that's inherent to how they decided to animate it.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:41 am Reply with quote
Oh hey, here's a show that should have been out six months ago with a run on Toonami.

Good going there, Viz.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:47 am Reply with quote
^
I'm not sure why it was never broadcast on television - perhaps securing the rights was too difficult or expensive? - but Tiger & Bunny is definitely a bona fide gateway Anime and would have done very well on T.V..
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:44 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
I'm not sure why it was never broadcast on television - perhaps securing the rights was too difficult or expensive? - but Tiger & Bunny is definitely a bona fide gateway Anime and would have done very well on T.V..

Simple answer: Toonami's low budget can't afford it, or any newer shows for that matter. Why do you think they haven't aired anything recent since Deadman Wonderland?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:01 am Reply with quote
Maybe they shouldn't have aired that POC then and instead aired Tiger & Bunny, which is far more accessible to a new audience and doesn't have the horrid writing and character problems of Deadman Wonderland.

Hard to feel sorry for a programming block for doing poorly with Anime when all they air is the crap stuff. Not only did they not air Tiger & Bunny, they didn't even air Heroman, which was a slam-dunk success for American television if there ever was one.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:31 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Maybe they shouldn't have aired that POC then and instead aired Tiger & Bunny, which is far more accessible to a new audience and doesn't have the horrid writing and character problems of Deadman Wonderland.

Hard to feel sorry for a programming block for doing poorly with Anime when all they air is the crap stuff. Not only did they not air Tiger & Bunny, they didn't even air Heroman, which was a slam-dunk success for American television if there ever was one.

Kind of off topic but while Tiger and Bunny was feasible (and frankly it could still air later down the line), Heroman isn't. The rights for that show are...complicated. Since Disney partially owns it, a dub can't be produced without their consent and apparently no one wants to go through them, even though Stan Lee actually wanted a dub for it. Not to mention the show flopped in Japan so I doubt anyone was in a rush to get the rights for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4