• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Robotech question

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ken

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 12:02 am Reply with quote
Streamline actually never finished their "Perfect Collection" series. It's a bummer for those who picked up some of those tapes. I have the Animeigo DVDs and they were definitely worth the money. I hope Animeigo gets the rights to do the movie and flashback. I have the original Japanese LD of the movie, but LD is sort of on the rocks.

Even though Harmony did a pretty good job of dubbing the Macross series, they altered the story too much. I prefer subs anyways.
skullone

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 7:58 am Reply with quote
The "Perfect Collection" was substandard. The subtitling was off-the-wall. Animeigo did a far better job. As for Robotech being a decent dub of Macross... No.
1. They added too much dialogue, to the point where I keep wondering why on Earth the character's can't shut up.
2. The narrator became obnoxious. Like a sportscaster on steroids.
3. Minmay's songs (which happen to be pleasant) were replaced by Reba West's atonal ear-shredding "talents".
4. The voice acting was too childish.
5. The BGM is way too repetitious.
6. The voice actors did NOT represent the characters well. Hikaru Ichijyo's counterpart (Rick Hunter) was a nasal, whiny Luke Skywalker wannabe, Misa Hayase's counterpart (Lisa Hayes) was an unwanted woman with a premature menopause, Roy Focker, the sukebe sempai became Roy Fokker, the typical "clean cut" all-American role model, a la GI Joe, Lynn Minmay, the teenage girl who got entangled by stardom and whose growth was vastly affected by war, stardom, her crush on Ichijyo etc, became a ditzy bimbo who only wanted the attention of everyone and so forth.

Nah, Robotech doesn't cut it.
Ataru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 12:14 pm Reply with quote
skullone wrote:

As for Robotech being a decent dub of Macross... No.

Well, it was the mid 80's. Pacman, Warner Bros, and Robotech make my Saturday Morning complete. They could have not match the voice to the mouth movement for all I cared becaused I was 6 at the time and it didn't really bothered me. 17 years later (Dang, I'm getting old. Shocked ), I watch it and the only thing I see is, "Hey, I remember that part.", "Yep, Minmay still sounds like she a stuck up teen.", and "Dang, Roy died. That bites."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
skullone

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Even for the '80s, especially now that I have the benefit of hindsight, Robotech was not quite "up there". You see, I more pleasantly watch "Candy Candy", "Heidi of the Alps", "Captain Harlock", "Ulysse 31", "Macross", "Mazinger" (which has NEVER been a favorite of mine) than "Robotech". Watching "Robotech" makes me wince, watching anything else (except for crap "reality" shows like "Big Brother" and Jerry Springer-style BS) is from ok to fine with me.
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 5:21 pm Reply with quote
skullone wrote:

You see, I more pleasantly watch "Candy Candy", "Heidi of the Alps", "Captain Harlock", "Ulysse 31", "Macross", "Mazinger" (which has NEVER been a favorite of mine) than "Robotech".

In Greece right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
skullone

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Yep.

The anime that aired on state-run TV in the 1981-1989 period were "Candy Candy" (VERY big budget dub and greatly advertised), "Heidi Of The Alps" (high quality sub from the very good German dub - now Alter Channel shows it, dubbed with mature dubbing), "Thunderbirds 2086" (subbed), "Captain Harlock" (dubbed straight from the TOEI version).

The French productions "Ulysse 31" (in which Kawamori did quite some work) and the "Once Upon A time..." series were very successful too.

Other than that, we'd get subbed Disney and Warner Brothers cartoons. In the video stores, you could (and still can) get some anime, mostly the obvious titles ("Sandybel" - WTF is this anyway? Is it anime), "Nausicaa", "Captain Harlock", "Super Space Fortress Macross" (here titled "Macross 2008", "Mazinger", "Grandizer", "Pokemon", etc...
OrionQuest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Hey, skullone it's nice to be remembered here! Nobody ever seems to mention my show, Grandizer... have I been forgotten after all these years? Ah well, I still dream of being available on DVD some day along with my good buddies, the Starvengers, Gaiking, Danguard Ace, Spaceketeers, etc. (I just hope my age doesn't show too much.) Oh, some episodes from these shows are available on VHS from a company that specializes in childrens videos. You can order them online, but I don't remember the link at the moment. If I find it again I will post it for anybody who might be interested.

BTW I also used to see Thunderbirds 2086... well the last half of it anyway. It was that blasted school bus.. made me get home too late, and since there's nowhere at the school to park a giant robot/saucer vehicle, well... you get the picture. Wink But, it was on cable whenever I saw it and I did manage to tape a couple of episodes. I'd like to see those on DVD too.

As for Robotech, I got home from school too late to see that too, but thankfully, my best friend at the time would set his VCR everyday to capture the legend in the making. He taped it twice actually... the first time on BETA tapes... the second time on VHS. Oops I think I just revealed my age. Shhhh!!! Laughing

I never even dreamed of having the entire original Macross series. But, now I do so my justification for getting a DVD player is nearly complete. Smile And like many others, I also hope for a DVD release of DYOL. I actually emailed Robert Woodhead and told him that the movie would compliment the TV box set nicely. He agreed and he wants to release it but apparently there are some legal entanglements right now. Sad
Hagakure

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 9:28 pm Reply with quote
skullone wrote:

As for Robotech being a decent dub of Macross... No.
1. They added too much dialogue, to the point where I keep wondering why on Earth the character's can't shut up.
2. The narrator became obnoxious. Like a sportscaster on steroids.
3. Minmay's songs (which happen to be pleasant) were replaced by Reba West's atonal ear-shredding "talents".
4. The voice acting was too childish.
5. The BGM is way too repetitious.
6. The voice actors did NOT represent the characters well. Hikaru Ichijyo's counterpart (Rick Hunter) was a nasal, whiny Luke Skywalker wannabe, Misa Hayase's counterpart (Lisa Hayes) was an unwanted woman with a premature menopause, Roy Focker, the sukebe sempai became Roy Fokker, the typical "clean cut" all-American role model, a la GI Joe, Lynn Minmay, the teenage girl who got entangled by stardom and whose growth was vastly affected by war, stardom, her crush on Ichijyo etc, became a ditzy bimbo who only wanted the attention of everyone and so forth.

Nah, Robotech doesn't cut it.

Well skullone, I'm not gonna deny it when you are right. Some of the stuff in Robotech was definently not to par, but I have never had that stop me from enjoying the series.

During the eighties (speaking for the USA, I apologize if its not the case for anyone else) the "cartoon" demographic that anime continually suffered was even worse than it is today. Thus, some of the characters are dumbed down. Minmay's voice during the songs can get bad sometimes, but I never thought the "break out in song" thing was that great so who am I to judge? The one thing that does get to me is the changing of Hikaru's name. I understand it, but don't like it.

Speaking from a unbiased view, despite that I have never seen the original SDF Macross, I'm sure its great. But I like Robotech so far, despite its shortcomings. It doesn't really bother me that the eighties influence is so bad. In a sense, I almost commend Macek's action as in the end (a Samurai philosophy outlined in "Hagakure") it did offer more anime in countries other than Japan. Today it may prevent the original Macross from coming here, but I think I'll just pick it up from AnimEigo.

BTW, I just got Macross Plus but the first DVD is backordered so I can't watch it yet.
skullone

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 12:04 am Reply with quote
I won't deny that animated productions are pigeonholed as "kid's stuff". I personally think that too many people think that way. In Greece, when you say "cartoons" or "comics", many people immediately say "oh, Mickey Mouse". Go figure.

However, not all productions suffered that much. I have to hand it to certain people - In the '70s and '80s, there were many great instalments in the anime filmography and many were transfered in a manner that ranged from reasonable to excellent.

Personally, I'm not a proponent of dubs. However, I've seen some good ones.

Namely, from anime, I've seen some particularly good dubs into the Greek language:

1. Candy Candy (I've mentioned it a good number of times)
2. Heidi of the Alps (now Alter Channel shows a dubbed version. ERT - the state-owned TV system showed a sub of a German dub)
3. Captain Harlock (I LOVED the sparse dialogs - as opposed to the incessant chatter of Robotech)
4. Pokemon (ok, this one's from the '90s)
5. Saber Riders
6. Now, I don't know the title of this film, but it had me utterly shocked. It was about two kingdoms that fought each other over various resources, including water. The prince of the one kingdom was in love with the princess of the other and tried to stop their fathers from continuing the war. They failed. Eventually, the two lovers met at a bridge in a forest during a tragic battle. The princess shot the prince dead and then shot herself too.

From the non-anime realm... These are the best dubs I've seen:

1. Lucky Luke
2. Dennis the Menace
3. Ulysse 31
4. "Once upon a time..."

The people who worked on dubbing these productions obviously didn't underestimate the audience. Although they DID aim at kids, mostly, they DIDN'T think for ONE moment that kids are stupid. And this is the key: PROFESSIONALISM.

[EDIT: Sending this one back to the abyss and locking. ~ Zalis]
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2