• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Incorrect Details in Gunslinger Girl.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fulla_Jase

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Hi Folks,
I am very new to this. I discovered GUNSLINGER GIRL in an anime magazine in our local book store. I have never seen them before and I found them to be very interesting.
However, when I found GUNSLINGER GIRL, and her mates, and all the different guns they used, I was very surprised at the detail that was put into the pictures. It was very accurate except for the FN-P-90. That is the funny looking FN Gun that doesn't even LOOK like a gun, but it really is. It is also the new eapon of choice by the crew in STARGATE - SG-1.
It is not the actual appearance details that are wrong, it is the fact that the FN-P-90 uses CASELESS Ammo, and the gun shown in the picture, not only in the magazine, but in the GUNSLINGER GIRL Site, is spewing lots of. . . EMPTY CASES?
To bring you thins bit of information, I had to register and become a member to get access to this Forum. It would be very interesting to heear from others who also noticed this slip in detail accuracy that I found.
I live in New Zealand, and we don't get GUNSLINGER GIRL and others that are shown and mentioned in the magazine. THe only Anime we have on TV here is Pokemon. If there are others, I haven't seen them. YET.
Thank you for your time and for letting me bring this to your attention.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Fulla_Jase wrote:
It is not the actual appearance details that are wrong, it is the fact that the FN-P-90 uses CASELESS Ammo, and the gun shown in the picture, not only in the magazine, but in the GUNSLINGER GIRL Site, is spewing lots of. . . EMPTY CASES?

[censored]

FN P90 uses 5.7 x 28mm SS190 ammunition, compatible with FN Five seveN. Those two weapons were designed by FN to form a pefect pair. The only prototype gun using caseless ammo is H&K G11 (well, maybe not THE only, but the only one under spotlight -- and failed).

Go visit Modern Firearms and learn some basics before commenting anything on small calibur weaponry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Code001

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Dormcat is correct.

Athough I've never seen the anime.
Fulla_Jase

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Hello "Dormcat" and Code0011,
As C-3PO would say, "How rude!" It is you, I am referring to, "Dormcat."
I have to admit, you are both correct! I only remember the CASELESS Version of this gun, because , it it so damned UGLY, I never paid any more attention to it. It is just NOT my Type. I DO remember, however, that a .223 cal. version came out, but, as I said, Itended NOT to take much notice of this ugly thing and just shut it out of my mind.
The only FN I like is the SLR -L1-A1 which I had the pleasure of using in the Air Force (When we HAD one, that is). Beautifully made and excellent accuracy out to a Mile.
My other favourites are MP-40, MP/STG-44, MG-34, Thompson 1928-A1, H&K MP-5 and the Luger.
Thank you for your replies. Please don't be rude? I wasn't rude to you. okay? Remember! This Forum is being monitored.
Any of you guys Gun Owners?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Code001

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:24 pm Reply with quote
The FN P-90 is illegal here in the United States as it is under restriction of the machine gun import ban back in 1989. This is also the reason why Glock 18s are illegal here, unless of course you're an FFL dealer (I'm a Type 03 FFL dealer myself but it's for C&R aka older weapons only). Although not relevant to the forum, I own the following:

Pistols

1911 Colt .45 ACP
1911 Colt .45 ACP
1911A1 Colt .45 ACP
Manhurin Walther PP .32
Hi-Standard .22 Pistol
Browning "Baby" .25
Ruger MK-II .22 Anniversary Edition
Glock G23 .40 S&W

Rifles

Romanian SAR-1 7.62x39 (i.e. AKM)
Ruger 96/22 .22WMR
Remmington 512 .22
Remmington 522 .22
Russian Mosin Nagat 91/30 7.62x54R
Russin Mosin Nagat M44 7.62x54R
Lee Enfield No4 Mk1 .303Brit
M1 Carbine .30
Custom Built AR-15 M4 Clone

What were you trying to say about the .223 thing? You said a .223 verison of the P90 was released because that would be a first for me and I can't find any information supporting this on Google. As for the weapon being ugly, I like it and it's extremely ergonomic. I've held both the suppressed and unsuppressed versions, and they're amazing for what they are. I have yet to fire an actual 5.7x28 round however so I cannot comment on accuracy or recoil except for what I've heard.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:49 pm Reply with quote
As they already pointed out, it is indeed accurate, they did a great deal of research to make it as accurate as possible and they should be commended for doing such a good job. At any rate, you really shouldn't be shocked if they're not fully accurate, it is just animation after all and Gunslinger Girl certainly did a far better job than most in the accuracy department.

For firearms though I have a Kahr K40, Savage 93 .22WMR and a Remington 700 SPS 7mm-08. Would love to have a few more but haven't been able to justify the cost as of yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I think the misunderstanding is that the 5.56 round, which is the most common round, can be slightly mistaken for the 5.7 round.

But what do I know, I only own a Remington Model 870 and a M1 Garand post war copy. And numerous Airsoft weapons, including very rare Japanese Garage Kit Guns.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Fulla_Jase wrote:
As C-3PO would say, "How rude!" It is you, I am referring to, "Dormcat."

I'm rude only to those who wants to dispute a fact without doing any form of research. You are welcome to express your subjective opinion as long as providing some minimal requirement of reasoning. Yet, if you want to dispute a objective fact you'd better have some solid proof to back your claim.

Fulla_Jase wrote:
I only remember the CASELESS Version of this gun, because , it it so damned UGLY, I never paid any more attention to it. It is just NOT my Type. I DO remember, however, that a .223 cal. version came out, but, as I said, Itended NOT to take much notice of this ugly thing and just shut it out of my mind.

The dual purpose of P90 using its proprietary SS190 catridge (almost as powerful as a rifle round up to 200m, and only slightly longer than a 9x19 Parabellum) was its major selling point. Pointed out by Code001 and as far as I could dig up, there's no P90 in .223 or caseless. Using .223 would destroy its compactness.

Fulla_Jase wrote:
The only FN I like is the SLR -L1-A1 which I had the pleasure of using in the Air Force (When we HAD one, that is). Beautifully made and excellent accuracy out to a Mile.

Comparing the range of an FAL with a P90 is meaningless. They were designed for completely different battlefields. With the exception of Rico (whose role is a sniper / designated marksman) and occassional sniping opportunities, all girls in GSG use lightweight assault weapons designed for fighting in build-up areas (FIBUA).

By the way, the heaviest weapon ever appeared in GSG (manga) is spoiler[an MG-42/MG-3 (there's not enough close-up to tell which one it is) by Rico, when Angelica's Steyr TMP (both she and her "brother" are Steyr loyalists, using AUG, TMP, and GB) failed to penetrate the armor of a bulletproof vehicle.] In anime, the heaviest monster is spoiler[a PGM Ultima Ratio Hecate II meant to be fired by Elsa but never fired due to her instability (Henrietta and Giuseppe relieved her with Walther WA2000 and SIG SG550, respectively).]

Fulla_Jase wrote:
Remember! This Forum is being monitored.

I'm fully aware of that. Wink

[Edit: Don't be rude to anyone please Dormcat, even if they make erroneous posts. -t]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
hentai4me

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:43 am Reply with quote
Guns...guns everywhere...why dont they have sensible names?

or why not romantic names?

would you rather spout off a list of letters and numbers or say 'Rapier', 'Falchion', 'Falcatta' etc...

sorry but I just dont like guns...the complexities of the sword are far more interesting.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:12 am Reply with quote
I don't know, a bunch of number and letters sounds more technical, I can't say that names like "rapier" or "falchion" really sound romantic to me.

While the complexities of the sword are interesting I wouldn't say guns aren't technical, I'd say they are more technical in fact in that they're more than an oversized knife and shooting well isn't as easy as most people seem to think or television makes it appear in much the same way that swordfighting wasn't really as glamorous as television makes it seem either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hentai4me

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:24 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
I don't know, a bunch of number and letters sounds more technical, I can't say that names like "rapier" or "falchion" really sound romantic to me.

Really? I suppose I find them so romantic because because I know more about them.

Keonyn wrote:
While the complexities of the sword are interesting I wouldn't say guns aren't technical, I'd say they are more technical in fact in that they're more than an oversized knife and shooting well isn't as easy as most people seem to think or television makes it appear in much the same way that swordfighting wasn't really as glamorous as television makes it seem either.

Trust me on this, if someone made a sword using the same mechanics as a knife blade I'd be amazed if you could use it anywhere near correctly. I didn't say that Guns werent technical its just that the sword is infinitely more complex than people seem to assume, if I were to hand you two sword of exact length and weight they are unlikely to handle the same as variation of the blades thickness creates huge variety in methods of use. I think further that the great attraction of a bladed weapon over a gun is that its not just the weapon that matters, the myriad different ways of using each weapon, in different combinations of equipment and the like give it more depth. Whereas with a gun, while I'm not saying its easy, all you really need to be able to do is hit where you aim.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:38 am Reply with quote
I know about swords, aside from guns I have swords, bows, crossbows and so on. As any collector of any of the major weapon types will tell you they all have their varying degree's of complexity.

I'm well aware of the mechanics of knives and swords, but in the end they are both just cutting tools with varying shapes and designs that cater to specific purposes in much the same way guns come with different stocks, barrel lengths, calibers and so on. If you give one person a swords and the other doesn't have one all you need to do in that situation is hit the target as well, barely different than a gun. But like a sword if two people have the same weapon it's no longer as simple as hitting your mark because you have to consider they're trying to hit their mark as well. It's a duel in much the same way, the mechanics just vary. In any case there's no practical reason to place yourself in a position in this day and age where this should matter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1