• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Question to those who have seen Samurai 7... (noob I am)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danno19

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching volume 2 of the series, and someone on Tribalwar was talking to me about the series and said that the animation starts crapping out after episode 8. I have the 3rd volume and my friend and I are taking a break from it for the day, but is this true? Does something go wrong with the animation or was he giving me biased false information? Thankyou to those who respond, I appreciate it.

- Dan
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:50 pm Reply with quote
It keeps getting better, in my opinion. There are a lot of great scenes I don't want to spoil. I will say that you will want to watch after episode 16 (the last episode on disc four). All I have to say is if you like it so far, stick with it.

Last edited by Aromatic Grass on Wed May 10, 2006 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Danno19

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Thankyou for the comment. It was very helpful. The person on TW who told me it started going downhill in quality may of been biased towards the anime. Cause with Kurosawa's son selling the rights to make an anime, he probably felt justified to bash it. A lot of people on those forums are huge AK fans and probably were upset they made the series in the first place, which I do sympathize with them.
jaybug39

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Gee, at $237,000 per episode, let's hope the animation didn't crap out! Shocked

I haven't thought so, but I am not certified to critique animations. I have liked all I have seen to date, vol.4.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I should point out that I am a devoted Kurosawa fan -- in fact, the reason I originally decided to learn Japanese was because of my love for Japanese cinema in general, and Kurosawa in particular.

When Samurai 7 came along, I was fully prepared to loathe it. Nevertheless, I have to admit that it's a respectful and decent retelling of the story, in another style.

And, to be fair, anybody trying to retell it in Kurosawa's original style was doomed to fail, since Kurosawa more or less defined that. As it is, the retelling worked quite well, I think -- it's a credit to the anime's producer's that they realized that it was no use trying to out-Kurosawa Kurosawa himself, and chose a different style for their version.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Danno19

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I read on Amazon.com that the entire series cost 32 million dollars.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CNGBWG/qid=1147308445/sr=1-12/ref=sr_1_12/102-6237576-7420162?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130

Look right underneat product details.

Thats a lot...
adonais

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Danno19 wrote:
I just finished watching volume 2 of the series, and someone on Tribalwar was talking to me about the series and said that the animation starts crapping out after episode 8.

Question
I have no idea what that dude is on about, I thought the series was very even in quality throughout (and of a very High quality too!). Maybe there are greater deviations from Kurosawa's original story as you go on, but in the end it all comes back together. Heh-heh. Oh, I have to go and put it on again now, you made me remember some of the brilliant scenes in later episodes Smile
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I am plenty pleased by this series , as far as the animation what the heck was dude smoking its good if not great imo.
There will always be nah sayers on just about every thing, so take what you hear with a grain of salt till you have the chance to view it your self. Even when every one says it sucks I still try and veiw it for my self, mostly because I dislike when people talk junk about stuff they never have even viewed once.
Danno19

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is getting me even more pumped to finish it. I bought the first big box set, and just emptied it and used it to house the first 3 volumes. Volumes 2 and 3 I just bought the norm. I'm gona keep going then. Thanks dudes!
Punchey Monk

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:48 am Reply with quote
I've liked Samurai 7 since volume one because it's perhaps one of the few straightforward "reimaginings" of Kurosawa's work rather than outright swiping (like "The Magnificent Seven," or how the first Star Wars film borrowed liberally from "Hidden Fortress", or any of a zillion different sitcoms that have aped the multiple-POV gimmick originated in "Rashomon").

By no means does S-7 out-Kurosawa Kurosawa, but it is definitely respectful of the original work. I'm not really sure where things are going, since by episode 20 (where I am now) things have wandered pretty far afield of the original work (but not necessarily in a bad way, and that's probably to be expected when you turn a three-hour story into a 13-hour one).

I have not noticed any discernable decline in animation quality, but I'm not difficult to impress, really. Smile
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:36 am Reply with quote
Punchey Monk wrote:
...or any of a zillion different sitcoms that have aped the multiple-POV gimmick originated in "Rashomon").

Which, it must be said, was in no way Kurosawa's idea. The multiple-POV storytelling style is integral to the original story by Akutagawa Ryuunosuke, 藪の中 (yabu no naka, "In a Grove"). Kurosawa used Akutagawa's dramatic multiple-POV style, framed with the elements of Akutagawa's other story of stark moral choices, 羅生門 (Rashoumon).

So let's not be so quick to denigrate others for "aping" Kurosawa's original style. He himself borrowed heavily from others, both in the literary and theatric worlds.

Yes, it's true that his films have been heavily copied. That's what happens when an artist helps to redefine his medium -- he becomes part of the framework in which other artists must operate, and his influence is felt in every later work. But similar art isn't just "copying". There's no denying that, for instance, The Magnificent Seven is a worthwhile film in itself, regardless of the fact that it borrows heavily from Kurosawa.

Besides, Yul Brynner was just too cool for words.

BTW, for beginning Japanese learners wanting to try their hand at reading some real Japanese literature, "In a Grove" is actually not that hard to get into. I recommend it for its strong imagery and sparse style.

- abunai
Punchey Monk

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:01 am Reply with quote
Sorry. That bit came across perhaps a bit more harshly than I'd meant to express it. There's nothing wrong with any of the films that have borrowed from Kurosawa. I agree that Magnificent Seven is great in its own right (though I'm more fond of Yul in his roles in The King and I and Westworld), and my only problem with the original Star Wars concerns a certain Greedo shooting first moreso than it does the plot elements taken from "Hidden Fortress".

I was taking a jab at sitcoms in general, many of which (from Dick Van Dyke to Seinfeld) have used and overused the multiple POV style.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:09 am Reply with quote
Punchey Monk wrote:
I agree that Magnificent Seven is great in its own right (though I'm more fond of Yul in his roles in The King and I

Ah, my favourite musical. Smile "Is a puzzlement!"

Punchey Monk wrote:
I was taking a jab at sitcoms in general, many of which (from Dick Van Dyke to Seinfeld) have used and overused the multiple POV style.

Well, that's what sitcoms do. You can just imagine the scriptwriters:

Scriptmonkey A: "Guys, I just saw an obscure movie the other day, and there was this really cool original plotline..."

Head Scriptmonkey: "Great! Write up a proposal for fifty episodes using it over and over again. Let's ride that sucker into the ground! Now let's do lunch!"

Scriptmonkeys A-F (chorus): "Yaay!"

- abunai
Danno19

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Also, what was up with Episode's 7 animation? Was it all whacky looking because they were in an area where everybody was hammered? Or did they have to economize the animation somewhere?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1