• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Any one piece uncut?? and what does uncut mean in anime sense

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zodiac137

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:33 pm Reply with quote
the dubb is baaaaad!! i mean bad!!!!!!!!

i want to see the original uncut ones.
is there any uncut dvds or someting like that??
frostedsaiyan

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Uncut is the original version before the blood is edited out and certain words are edited out. Like semi-graphic nudity they might edit out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:38 pm Reply with quote
There are no official uncut DVDs for sale in the US. You can try Region 2 Japanese DVDs but that means a new DVD player and they usually don't come with subtitles. Also, there are a lot of episodes so importing that many DVDs would be expensive.

Another option is fansubs but that's all I can say. You'll have to find the fansubs yourself or ask somewhere where it is allowed. (ie not here.)
frostedsaiyan

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to be off-topic here but is it me, or does it seem like One Piece isn't doing very well in the U.S.A.?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Zodiac137 wrote:
the dubb is baaaaad!! i mean bad!!!!!!!!

For future reference, this is an awful way to start a thread. Open with some point of intelligent discussion, not some spam-happy screaming exercise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:49 pm Reply with quote
frostedsaiyan wrote:
Sorry to be off-topic here but is it me, or does it seem like One Piece isn't doing very well in the U.S.A.?

Let's say it could have done a lot better. I'm not sure of the exact number but I think this is one of 4Kids's lowest rated titles (or at least the ratings are declining) and the current situation doesn't bode well for them. Being that One Piece has at least 300 episodes and counting, 4Kids will be hardpressed in following this series. And with licensing costs as high as they are now, I wouldn't be surprised if 4Kids dropped it or downsizes something to keep up.
frostedsaiyan

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð wrote:
frostedsaiyan wrote:

Let's say it could have done a lot better. I'm not sure of the exact number but I think this is one of 4Kids's lowest rated titles (or at least the ratings are declining) and the current situation doesn't bode well for them. Being that One Piece has at least 300 episodes and counting, 4Kids will be hardpressed in following this series. And with licensing costs as high as they are now, I wouldn't be surprised if 4Kids dropped it or downsizes something to keep up.

I really loved the manga, it didn't come off as "kiddie" as the anime does. I think a lot of people had the same thought. Ok, lets get back on topic, heh.
hikaru393

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I heard viz and 4kids were disscusing planes to get one piece uncut in box set's like naruto dont know if this is true or not though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I believe there were plans to do such a thing once, but then plans were dropped due to 4kid's feelings over trying to sell uncut anime thanks to the Yu-Gi-Oh and Shaman King dvds selling so badly.
Wakaiba

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:35 pm Reply with quote
They even made an uncut Sailor Moon after a while. I'd wait for the series to die down a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
arxane

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð wrote:
frostedsaiyan wrote:

The ratings were really mediocre on 4KidsTV, but they were noticeably better when the episodes were shipped to Toonami. Even so, the ratings are nowhere near as big as Naruto's, which has been hyped out the wazoo by CN. Something tells me if a better dub of One Piece had been made, CN would be hyping "Pirates vs. Ninja" commercials right now.

Of course 4Kids was so desperate to improve One Piece's ratings that they skipped entire episodes and series arcs in the series to get to Chopper, the most marketable character in the show. Naturally, that not only made the English version confusing it further showed just how much 4Kids cares about its anime properties.
Alex K.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:17 pm Reply with quote
hikaru393 wrote:
I heard viz and 4kids were disscusing planes to get one piece uncut in box set's like naruto don't know if this is true or not though.

Uh, no, it's not true. I doubt anyone would try to sell One Piece subtitled-only.
Jkid

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Alex K. wrote:
hikaru393 wrote:
I heard viz and 4kids were disscusing planes to get one piece uncut in box set's like naruto don't know if this is true or not though.

Uh, no, it's not true. I doubt anyone would try to sell One Piece subtitled-only.

How come Pioneer (aka Geneon) sold the Cardcaptor Sakura box sets subtitled-only? That was a success.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Nelvana allowed them to after much complaints from the anime fans. Ironically those subtitled DVDs sold much better than the hacked up dub to a point Geneon stopped releasing the edited dubbed versions. Of course Nelvana isn't 4Kids so making those comparisons is kind of pointless. Though it would be nice if 4Kids actually recognize the anime fanbase more properly like Nelvana did with CCS.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:16 pm Reply with quote
It would be great if One Piece actually was getting an uncut DVD release, but it isn't. 4kids really let this show go down the pooper, I loved the manga, but seeing the anime made me want to yank my hair out. The voices were god-aweful and the edits were horrendous.

Speaking of edits... does anybody else know why they edited the marines and changed it to the navy within the beginning of the show?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2