• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Are these titles worth checking out?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Ok i've been looking up new anime titles to watch. So far from what i've been looking through and what my friends have suggested are the following titles worth viewing? If so could people point out what aspects of the show are really appealing to the viewer?

School Rumble
Eureka 7
Kare Kano
Azumanga Daioh
Samurai 7

Also if people want they can suggest further anime that I could watch..........most preferrably something new and licensed. And please no one recommend Samurai Champloo, I can't count how many times I've heard it being suggested and i've already seen it.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:41 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
And please no one recommend Samurai Champloo, I can't count how many times I've heard it being suggested and i've already seen it.

To avoid this, try adding it as "seen all" in your My Anime first.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Okay just put my seen all list on the public lists so if anyone wants to know what i've seen you can check this out:

animenewsnetwork.com/MyAnime/?categ=3&user=IchigoK90

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Fui

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Of those I've seen School Rumble, Kare Kano, and Azu Dai. I personally enjoyed those for the most part.

School Rumble is a love-comedy, which pretty much focuses on comical and awkard situations in a love triangle? (more like...a love octagon), but primarily between Tsukamoto Tenma and Harima Kenji. If you like pretty simple high school comedies, this one should be entertaining to nearly any viewer. There are cultural jokes, but since the series isn't licensed yet, the subs should have notes explaining anything that isn't clear. The comedy is straightforward so if you're looking for a fun (although possibly "stupid" in many ways) love comedy then you should check it out. Oh and School Rumble Nigakki, which is the second season of School Rumble, just started airing in Japan about a month ago and I believe they're on the fourth or fifth episode right now.

Kare Kano is also a love comedy but takes itself much more seriously. The focus is on the relationship itself whereas School Rumble is about making the confession but focusing on the funny parts about it. The atmosphere is still mostly high school, but there are some dark parts about it such as characters' pasts and feelings. The purpose of this is really to go in-depth about a relationship between two exceptionally smart students, along with some comical animation. It was quite good, but perhaps the material was regurgitated too much so not as entertaining for me. Still worth checking out over many other series IMO. The Right Stuff has it licensed but it's quite expensive unless the box set goes on the weekly special list for $45.

AzuDai essentially goes through entire high school about a group of girls that become friends and all of their funny experiences together. The comedy isn't as straightforward so you might or might not enjoy it. There are a lot of cultural jokes and "slow" humor since the action isn't as outrageous (well perhaps minus the flying Chiyo-chans) as some other animes. It's definitely a cute and loveable (and funny IMO) series that I really enjoyed a lot. I think it accomplished twice or three times as much as Excel Saga with a tenth of the action as far as comedy is concerned, but that's just me. The AzuDai thinpak class album is pretty cheap and it's one of my best purchases I think. You might want to check out the first few episodes before going through the whole series though just to see if you like how it's going.

I believe the general consensus for Eureka 7 is that it's pretty good and Samurai 7 is not bad but perhaps a little far fetched with futuristic enemies with possibly bad animation. That's just my impression from reading other peoples' posts on it, though.
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I agree that School Rumble is an excellent show. Unlike most shows, this one really starts to shine once the focus moves away from the two main characters a little. And that love um...octagon thing seems about right. It's not a harem kind of octagon, but more like one guy likes this girl, but she like someone else, but both of them are more or less complete idiots when it comes to that kind of stuff. And one girl and the first girl's sister maybe like the first guy and another guy likes the first girl's sister but is flat out rejected every time, etc. Don't expect anyone to actually get together with anyone else though. In fact, the fact that no one ever does get together with anyone else really drives the show. And the show isn't completely about the relationships. They are in school, after all. Just watch the show so I don't have to vaguely describe it to you.

Azumanga Daioh is really good too. The original manga is divided into four panel strips, so the jokes and gags generally keep rolling pretty quickly, but they never get old. The tone is kind of similar to School Rumble. It's light and fun without much of a plot. If you don't like it at the beginning, though, you probably won't like the rest of it either. But looking at the ANN user ratings, I would think that's not a problem for most people.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Eureka 7 is pretty much standard shounen fare. You have your young protagonist who is bored with his life with a goal set in mind, and a standard cast of characters whom will eventually grow onto you. Of course, this comes with an attractive young female heroine, and a there is some mild romance. The animation is pretty good (Bones), and the mecha fights are really cool and attractive. It's by the same production team as Full Metal Alchemist, although in my opinion, it is not as engaging.

Although I say that it is just standard shounen, it is quite uniquie in its own way. The storyline is pretty linear for the most part, but the execution was quite convoluted. Often times, the main characters will act strangely out of turn, and it is often times quite difficult to predict what they will do (a.k.a. strangely satisfying character development). It struck me as extremely odd at first, but the pacing and the way things are explained clear up many mysteries and unanswered questions.

Like all shounen series, it starts out with the happy-fun-time semi-filler type episodes with some not-too-original character development and hints at a darker plot in the future, but when the "dark" part actually comes, it is executed with great fashion. The characters develop and become more serious, but not unnecessarily so, and often times you can sympathize with the characters as to what they are going through.

If anything, I would watch Eureka 7 for the characters.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:14 am Reply with quote
If one were to ask me for my brief opinions and summaries of my ideas:

Samurai 7: Would not be at the top of my list. Perhaps at the bottom, just didn't like it. Good action show with a completely unengaging plot.

AzuDai: Top of the list, no question.

Eureka 7: Haven't seen it, in the process of aquiring it because I've heard many reliable good reviews.

Kare Kano: Maybe I'm confused, but I seem to remember it as being your basic anime love story, very similar to Ai Yori Aoi Enishi if you've seen it.

School Rumble: Haven't seen most of it, but from what I've seen I'd most likely give it a 7. (so maybe In the middle)

Order if one asked me: AzuDai, Eureka 7, School Rumble, Kare Kano, Samurai 7.

EDIT: Just skimmed through your list, if I may be so bold as to suggest my two favorites that are not on your list. Hunter X Hunter and Twelve Kingdoms (especially the former considering you seem to like shounen shows).

And how did you post a link to your anime list? o_O;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nirvana

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:18 am Reply with quote
School Rumble is probably in my top 3 animes. I LOVED this series, with season 2 coming out now. It is nothing short of brilliant. It is hilarious in all aspects nad has a very good storyline. The characters are drawn out and true to themselves.
Fenrir

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:37 am Reply with quote
Well I would have to say Eureka 7. If you've seen the show on CN then you may think its standard shonen fare and for the first part it is as it focuses on Renton and how he grows but as the story goes on it becomes much more engaging and the characters are awesome and it definetly breaks away from being standard shonen fare. Its my favorite anime that I'm keeping up with now.
Mylene

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:49 am Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
And how did you post a link to your anime list? o_O;

Go to MyAnime. Select Edit My Categories. Click Edit for whichever list you want to make Public. Mark the "Allow public to see this category" checkbox. Below that, it'll show the URL for that particular list that you can share with others. And then, if you click on the Public Lists links, you can scroll down to your name and see that it's listed.

Anyway, the only one of those shows I've seen all the way through is Azumanga Daioh (although KareKano is sitting on my shelf waiting to be watched.) For me, it was probably the funniest thing I've ever seen--in any medium (anime, broadcast tv, movie, live action...anything). However, I too recommend that you find a way to sample it before buying, perhaps a local rental store might have it. If you're not a big fan of wackiness, then you might not enjoy it.
daristar

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:48 am Reply with quote
School rumble/2: One of the funniest series I've watched. Ranks up there with FMP Fumoffu and Azumanga Daioh. I'm curious if you've seen Fumoffu/FMP since you list FMP:TSR on your list.

Bleach? Just a suggestion you liked an OVA and you seem to like the epic fighting type anime. (that's what I call DBZ et al.) Oh wait, got it that's your completed list. NM

Kare Kano: I'd think you'd enjoy since you liked Honey and Clover. I view them as similar (ie I like them, but I'm not rushing through Kare Kano, like I didn't rush H&C. ie Love Hina I blasted through but I liked that more then H&C).

I just started Eureka 7. So far it's ok (5 episodes I think). I like the whole surfer/mech thing.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Can only really comment on Eureka 7 and Samurai 7, guess I have a thing for 7's. In the case of those two I would say yes however.

Samurai 7 is a well told and well paced story with some pretty good animation for a series, at least most of the time. There are some instances where the animation takes a noticeable dive, likely late pieces that had to be done with a lower budget. It's not a perfect anime, does have some character problems and some slow spots, but it is an enjoyable one, at least as far as I've seen but I haven't seen the whole thing.

I also haven't seen all of Eureka 7, only the first release actually but it is pretty enjoyable so far although I wouldn't say it has come in to its own quite yet. It's a very visually appealing anime with a diverse cast of characters and very vibrant colors and smooth animation. It's not a short series so I don't expect to really be able to rate its story and such at this point but I like what I've seen so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:15 pm Reply with quote
daristar wrote:
I'm curious if you've seen Fumoffu/FMP since you list FMP:TSR on your list.

Actually I haven't seen FMP or Fumoffu, I've only been able to see TSR but I got the gist of it and what happened in the first FMP.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
frostedsaiyan

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Eureka 7 is just now starting on TV in the US. I really like it though, they've only aired 4 episodes but it's becoming one of my favorites. The artwork and background music are spectacular. It's a very amazing show, you would enjoy it. I own the Azumanga Daioh series and it's a type of anime that doesn't follow a set plot. It's very funny though, but the episodes will seem like you've seen them before since they have about 3 summer episodes, 3 winter, and so on. It's pretty enjoyable though. Kare Kano I've just started watching and it's a older one but very funny and entertaining. Another love story with this one, it's would be good for you to pick it up in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dragon King

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I personaly recomend gantz it is a great show that really shows the dark and good side of humanity it is definately worth checking out unless you dont like very gory anime then you better not.

The next series i recommend is Angelic Layer it is a masterpiece i would rank it up there with Akira aND HOWLSMOVING CASTLE.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2