• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Unspecified Gundam AGE Project Green-Lit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sainta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:03 pm Reply with quote
When you are telling a story you have to make at least an ending. Not like Zeta's original

spoiler[And Kamille was mindraped by that dude using some deus ex he never tried doing before. Nothing was solved... And now to something completely different, Double Zeta.]

Also the story about Kamille's "sister" was a copypaste of Four but with a different name. It was the same stuff happening four the third time considering Four was already Lalah 2.0 and the ending of the arc was no different from the other ones. It's like if the writer was running out of ideas about how to kill characters just like that kid who crashes with an asteroid.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
When you are telling a story you have to make at least an ending. Not like Zeta's original

spoiler[And Kamille was mindraped by that dude using some deus ex he never tried doing before. Nothing was solved... And now to something completely different, Double Zeta.]

Also the story about Kamille's "sister" was a copypaste of Four but with a different name. It was the same stuff happening four the third time considering Four was already Lalah 2.0 and the ending of the arc was no different from the other ones. It's like if the writer was running out of ideas about how to kill characters just like that kid who crashes with an asteroid.

Newtypes were established as being able to disrupt and throw each other off from early into the series and their powers got greater and greater the more the intensity of the war got. Summing up all his strength, Scirocco lashed out in a final crash of his power and scrambled Kamille's mind. It was fitting, showing that victory comes at a great price and proving Kamille's commitment to end the conflcit even at the cost of himself.

Zeta's ending absolutely wrapped up that conflict with its ending.

Rosammy's arc was there to reflect how far Kamille had grown. spoiler[He still wanted to cling to Four, but ultimately he decided he had to kill her for her and others' own good.] This is something the old Kamille, the Kamille of the Hong Kong or Kilamanjaro arc wouldn't have been able to do. Four's arc reflected the tragic connection between some Newtypes, especially the young, and how history often repeats itself. Kamille sees in these two, Four and Rosammy, the sort of closeness that he takes for granted in Fa, but more than that, a commonality of being different. He wants to cling to these two because he ultimately doesn't like himself very much. It's not until he admits to Four that he no longer hates his own name that he can even realize what he need to do with himself.

Kamille's arc is rather striking. He starts out as this angry, vindictive youth but eventually stops lashing out at every face that crosses his path and even learns to teach others, saving his rage for those on the battlefield who deserve it, like Scirocco.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
joshjoshlol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:54 am Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
deus ex

To quote Inigo Montoya, I do not think it means what you think it means.

I'm not going to say your opinion is invalid, but it's not very well informed. The Kamille/Paptimus battle ended the way it did because of how strong the newtype combatants were, not because of an outside, unforeseen alien force dictating the outcome of the fight (which a true deus ex ending would, as per the definition). Kamille had the psychic backing of all those that loved him but died, and Paptimus, rather than a blow of might, shot a psychic attack with more singular, focused intensity when he knew he was going to lose his life. Kamille won, but Paptimus made his mark in one last spiteful way against Kamille.

It fits along well with the preferred way of Gundam story telling: Nobody wins in wars. That's the ending, that war sucks and everyone is a casualty. I'm sorry that you didn't get it, but don't bad mouth a show out of your own ignorance by saying that it has no real ending.

Also, Rosamia was a plant to infiltrate AEUG. Four was a psychic whose mind resonated with Kamille. That's pretty different.

Finny-chan wrote:
To me the worst Gundam was 0079 its probably the most boring and slow of the gundams and it went no where fast. Also the animation was just lulzy half the time even worse than AGE's and Victory's.

This comment is just... wow.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:16 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised Namco Bandai would be willing to fund more Bomba AGE material. This has been a colosal flop for Gundam, so I can't imagine it'll be more than another manga, or compilation films.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:38 am Reply with quote
Too bad AGE was considered a flop, i didn't care for some of the water down parts, but it thought it was okay. It wasn't a Gundam G or Superdeformed Gundam Animes series.

A blogdid indicate its sales of its retail was bad.

I guess the side-story about these kids just another side of feeding the Japanese Otaku's need for stupid High School dramas. Rolling Eyes
Unfortunately, thats what their suppose audience ever likes to watch aside from the lolia fetishes.[/url]
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Such a textbook thread for Gundam news already. Definitely the most ragey fanbase in all of anime even to this day. Laughing

I suppose this is the project they had hinted at back when the show was airing that was supposed to be targetted more towards the typical Gundam fanbase. If Akihiro Hino doesn't write this I don't see any reason why they can't salvage a little bit of the AGE media. To me AGE's problem wasn't that it was terrible by default or that it lacked a good director, but that Hino's scenario writing was so simplistic, safe and typical of a generic Level 5 family friendly game as opposed to fitting the mold of what actual Gundam fans have come to expect out of the franchise that it really hurt the show in the long run and turned a lot of long time franchise fans off.

Level 5 and Gundam were just a really bad match-up that should never have been made in retrospect so I can't say I see the wisdom of more AGE unless it were to have a different key staff that limits Level 5's involvement in the actual production process as much as possible.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:38 am Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:

I suppose this is the project they had hinted at back when the show was airing that was supposed to be targetted more towards the typical Gundam fanbase. If Akihiro Hino doesn't write this I don't see any reason why they can't salvage a little bit of the AGE media. To me AGE's problem wasn't that it was terrible by default or that it lacked a good director, but that Hino's scenario writing was so simplistic, safe and typical of a generic Level 5 family friendly game as opposed to fitting the mold of what actual Gundam fans have come to expect out of the franchise that it really hurt the show in the long run and turned a lot of long time franchise fans off.

Level 5 and Gundam were just a really bad match-up that should never have been made in retrospect so I can't say I see the wisdom of more AGE unless it were to have a different key staff that limits Level 5's involvement in the actual production process as much as possible.

So, in the long run, AGE would've been far better suited as a Level 5 video game than an anime series? I don't think Hino's writing is bad, but generally more suited towards Video Games. I heard great things of his work on Ni no Kuni, so calling his writing generic is a tad unfair considering most of Level 5's work on RPGs (and those which he had personally been involved with) are great.

His generic style of writing probably comes more from Inazuma Eleven, which he had little involvement in. The fact is the guy doesn't know how to appease to Gundam fans and it was his first real involvement in the animation scene. With that in mind, I actually was able to salvage much more enjoyment in the series, but I definitely saw the potential for it working far better as an RPG game.
sainta

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:50 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Rosammy's arc was there to reflect how far Kamille had grown. spoiler[He still wanted to cling to Four, but ultimately he decided he had to kill her for her and others' own good.] This is something the old Kamille, the Kamille of the Hong Kong or Kilamanjaro arc wouldn't have been able to do. Four's arc reflected the tragic connection between some Newtypes, especially the young, and how history often repeats itself. Kamille sees in these two, Four and Rosammy, the sort of closeness that he takes for granted in Fa, but more than that, a commonality of being different. He wants to cling to these two because he ultimately doesn't like himself very much. It's not until he admits to Four that he no longer hates his own name that he can even realize what he need to do with himself.

And yet it's the same stuff over and over. Just lazy writing to show the psychotic kid cares.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3