• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Milky Holmes Cast to Voice My Little Pony in Japan

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:32 am Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
Yeah, freaking Cars/Cars 2 sold more than that by like several times over and that's way younger and it's foreign anime.

Way to miss the point. Anime isn't compared to big-budget Hollywood movies, it's compared to other Anime. And compared to other Anime, Cowboy Bebop did very well.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:43 am Reply with quote
As a magical girl fan girl I'd like to say that I think there are enough similarities in the two fanbases purely in the fact that a show which is obstinately for young girls can draw a large periphery demographic. This is exactly why stuff like Nanoha, Madoka and stuff like the We Love Fine shirts exist and there is no getting around that, Soundmonkey was comparing the fandom demographics and quirks (and hell, with all the OC Ponies running around it is reminicent of Otaku Senshi and Fan Cures too, don't think I've seen that happen for the likes of Lucky Star or Azumanga so much) not the shows.

But on that subject - yes Pretty Cure and Sailor Moon are darker and have ongoing story lines and character death. I actually really like these shows as they appeal to me deeply for respecting that their audience can handle this sort of thing. BUT they are still aimed at young girls it's just that culturally Japan is less afraid of having these things in kids shows; and western animation has had shows which have managed this sort of approach - I'd certainly argue it of Avatar: The Last Airbender and Korra. Also for some reason the US market for animation has been for a long time geared towards getting shows syndicated and therefore the reluctance to have shows with overarching plots and character development - this is not the fault of animators though and you do find them fighting it.

Heck, even in MLP:FiM they try and often to a light touch ongoing storyline - for example seeded throughout season 1 was the build up to the Grand Galloping Gala, okay not as earth shattering as the build up to a grand battle but still it did have a season plot progression it's just that Hasbro didn't want them to get to heavy on it. Season three has started with some sort of hint about Twilight Sparkle's mentor changing - sadly it seems that plot thread has been pared-back but the most recent episode has strands connected to an upcoming episode about an in-universe Olympics event.

Also I love the show to bits but Sailor Moon (and Pretty Cure) can get damn episodic - they are monster of the day shows. New friend of girls show up with some sort of personal problem, girls try to help person with problem, monster attacks person/person is turned into monster, girls transform, girls fight, monster defeated/turned back to normal, problem has been fixed. Lather, rinse, repeat. Hell as much as I love magical girls, more than MLP even, I will give MLP this I can't usually give plot point by plot point breakdown of what is going to happen in the episode - It's a kids show so I can often guess what's going to happen but I can't say "well by this point in the episode this specific thing that happens every episode will have occurred".
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:39 am Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Smithart Stu wrote:
But verily you must concur with the overarcing opinion that the infantile juvenilia of Western animated pictures is incapable of holding the proverbial candle to the depth of Japanese animé.

While these comments still frustrate me somewhat, I also can't help but sigh reading them. Between having recently rewatched various American animated shows I've grown up with after several years and learning more about animation general and what makes it a craft, I'm now realizing just how narrowminded this notion is that no matter what American animation does, past, present or future, somehow it's not "good enough" compared to Japanese animation. And it's due to what I honestly find to be silly reasons and examples to compare the two regions of animation and determine what makes animation appealing.

If a show doesn't have characters announce a death threat in his/her line of dialogue, show on-screen death or brutal violence, have a plot drag on for so many episodes that you forget to provide a valid reason to have the audience be emotionally compelled to watch a character accomplish something, or show borderline nudity that serves no other purpose than to arouse a crowd of one gender, than somehow you're making poorly told animated stories? These things alone hardly represent what makes animated storytelling a fascinating craft. Rather it just tells me what your personal interests in watching a TV show is. And there's nothing wrong with liking any of those above things I mentioned above if that's your thing. But animation is more than just little things like that. Animation is about what you're visually communicating to an audience. It's about how you go about bringing life to a character's movements, personality behavior and mannerisms and how you use various principles and elements in art and even music to help the audience believe there's a story being presented revolving around these characters and be compelled to see that story.

And all of that seems like nothing if you're not consciously aware and are just watching tv shows to be passively entertained. This is why it's important for anyone who's passionate about animation to be very observant, so they can understand why some of the most appreciated animated stories out there are so... well, appreciated. Not that you don't have the right to find on-screen violence, multiple-episode plots, borderline nudity, or other on-the-surface traits from one culture of animation fascinating to you personally. But if you're honestly trying to argue this is really what makes animation appealing more than anything else, no matter whatever American animation tries to do, then I feel you're missing the point.

^^^^ This so much this

You sir, are my new hero. Finally someone that gets it! *Hugs*
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:21 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
DomonX2 wrote:
Yeah, freaking Cars/Cars 2 sold more than that by like several times over and that's way younger and it's foreign anime.

Way to miss the point. Anime isn't compared to big-budget Hollywood movies, it's compared to other Anime. And compared to other Anime, Cowboy Bebop did very well.

Not just big budget Hollywood movies -- Cars / Cars 2 has a completely different demographic than Cowboy Bebop.

People will buy Cars / Cars 2 as a babysitter. That makes it good for families and mainstream buyers who aren't into the anime subculture, they're getting something to entertain their kids.

Cowboy Bebop is a niche market. If I am not mistaken, a show needs to hit 5000 and above BD / DVD sales to be a hit, and above 3000 to be financial success (depending on how the production committee breaks things down, but this is just an estimate fans can use). If it is true that it broke the 10K barrier in sales -- especially for a box set that is pretty expensive and for an anime that's pretty dated -- that's not just 'more successful', that's pretty freakin' amazing.

@GracieLizzy

One big issue with your making the similarity is that you are conflating Western fandom and Japanese fandom.

In the West, there might be a strong similarity between magical girl fans and My Little Pony fans, but since My Little Pony hasn't even aired in Japan yet any similarity between the fandoms there will be guesswork at best.

When it comes to Japan, the appeal of magical girls is very easily understood. The trope has been in existence for a long time and the characters are both an expression of wish fulfillment for girls as well as embodying virtues that the Japanese find admirable (innocence, purity, etc.). People who are Nanoha otaku probably grew up remembering Akazukin Cha Cha (I guess, I think). Magical girls are Japanese superheroes.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:40 am Reply with quote
@Rose: True comparing the two out of pure speculation is a bit of a stretch, but I don't think its to far fetched to say, that it is more then possible/likely young girls that enjoy things such as say Pre-Cure &/or Hello kitty and the like will find the show relevant to their interests.

As for Older animation fans in Japan & Otaku, we will just have to wait & see how things turn out. Again I don't expect this to be a PPG level success in Japan *Although that would be nice* But surely it can get at least half way there. BUSHIROAD seems determined to make a push for both the intended demo and older fans. Lets hope the endeavor will be a successful one for them! *Knock on wood*
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Smithart Stu wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

Oh god. We've found the next TitanXL.

He's even got the same "My japanese children's cartoons are SO EDGY AND GRIMDARK SO MATURE" thing going on.

But verily you must concur with the overarcing opinion that the infantile juvenilia of Western animated pictures is incapable of holding the proverbial candle to the depth of Japanese animé. And no, I do not merely proclaim this of the aforementioned cartoon featuring brightly technicolored ponies. In truth, this is a iron-clad aphorism that does not contain any exceptions. Vis-à-vis the animation from Japan, the output from the Western civilizations does not compare. For surely as the solar orb arises in the Eastern sky and lowers itself over the horizon in the West, so too does the entertainment from Japan lift itself up into the atmosphere, high above the West.

- Smithart Stu

Oh man, I'm laughing so hard I'm crying.

Well played, sir, well played.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crispy45

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:06 pm Reply with quote
SoundMonkey44 wrote:
Yes the cartoon is made in Flash, but like Fosters its done very well.

Chagen46 wrote:
He's even got the same "My japanese children's cartoons are SO EDGY AND GRIMDARK SO MATURE" thing going on.

>_> They are. The fact this dude wants to compare MLP to SM is lol-worthy. Japanese Kids Shows™ are a magical thing that should be cherished for what they can do.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Something I forgot to mention earlier I just thought would be fun to post, I was in a chat with a friend on Funimation forums, and he pointed out how Bronies, in a way are the U.S. Equivlant to Magical Girl Otaku, and you know I sort of agree, just as Precure was something made overall to market to young girls but became somewhat popular with males as well, it is kind of a nice parallel.

*words*

It's just easier to call you a moronic sperglord.
lostrune

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Hey, children's anime can air just fine in America - after the censors get through with them Laughing
Vinna

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Smithart Stu wrote:
But verily you must concur with the overarcing opinion that the infantile juvenilia of Western animated pictures is incapable of holding the proverbial candle to the depth of Japanese animé.

While these comments still frustrate me somewhat, I also can't help but sigh reading them. Between having recently rewatched various American animated shows I've grown up with after several years and learning more about animation general and what makes it a craft, I'm now realizing just how narrowminded this notion is that no matter what American animation does, past, present or future, somehow it's not "good enough" compared to Japanese animation. And it's due to what I honestly find to be silly reasons and examples to compare the two regions of animation and determine what makes animation appealing.

If a show doesn't have characters announce a death threat in his/her line of dialogue, show on-screen death or brutal violence, have a plot drag on for so many episodes that you forget to provide a valid reason to have the audience be emotionally compelled to watch a character accomplish something, or show borderline nudity that serves no other purpose than to arouse a crowd of one gender, than somehow you're making poorly told animated stories? These things alone hardly represent what makes animated storytelling a fascinating craft. Rather it just tells me what your personal interests in watching a TV show is. And there's nothing wrong with liking any of those above things I mentioned above if that's your thing. But animation is more than just little things like that. Animation is about what you're visually communicating to an audience. It's about how you go about bringing life to a character's movements, personality behavior and mannerisms and how you use various principles and elements in art and even music to help the audience believe there's a story being presented revolving around these characters and be compelled to see that story.

And all of that seems like nothing if you're not consciously aware and are just watching tv shows to be passively entertained. This is why it's important for anyone who's passionate about animation to be very observant, so they can understand why some of the most appreciated animated stories out there are so... well, appreciated. Not that you don't have the right to find on-screen violence, multiple-episode plots, borderline nudity, or other on-the-surface traits from one culture of animation fascinating to you personally. But if you're honestly trying to argue this is really what makes animation appealing more than anything else, no matter whatever American animation tries to do, then I feel you're missing the point.

I am in Italy so I may not have as much experience with American animation as you, but from the shows I see in Italy from here or other countries those qualities are the reasons I and my friends got into anime. Smile If you are animation fan I don't see how you can not at least admit anime has this wondrous advantage compared to other mediums. I do not see why it is missing a point to say that is a very big appeal of anime. Anime is where we can get these stories that no other country can produce. That is the point you are missing I feel. As I grew older anime and am almost 30 years old (Argh!) anime grew with me but other animation stayed aimed at children. You can call it narrow minded if you want, but it is more narrow minded not to admit the faults and advantages that exist, no?
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:21 pm Reply with quote
@Crispy: My Little Pony: Teaching Kids, when a villian attacks your empire.... Just throw your wife at it Anime hyper. Laughing

BUt on a serious note, dunno why you even bother to post in here if all your going to do is be negative

@Vinna thats true, its narrow minded to ignore a mediums faults, that includes ANIME. But again every form of entertainment should be ranked on how good or bad it is by its own merit. Again every type of animation be it Domestic 2D Hand Drawn, Flash, Japanese Hand Drawn, CGI, ClayMation, Stop-Motion Animation, etc they all have their own strengths & weaknesses both in visuals and in writing. Nothing in this world is perfect, no form of animation is truly superior to the other, it all comes down to ones own personal preferences, biases, how they perceive the media they are viewing, and of course their own mindsets & beliefs. Simple (& Complex) As that.

Also again, something being aimed at children does not automatically make it inferior to it something aimed at teens or adults, despite age group or intention, there are shows that can rise above or sink below expectation.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:27 pm Reply with quote
@ Vinna:
I want to you read this part of what I said before:

Quote:
Animation is about what you're visually communicating to an audience. It's about how you go about bringing life to a character's movements, personality behavior and mannerisms and how you use various principles and elements in art and even music to help the audience believe there's a story being presented revolving around these characters and be compelled to see that story.

This is one of the big things I and every other animation major is taught to practice at the art school I go to. The other things you and that Smith guy and other people who think similarly when comparing Japanese and American animation are not taught so much at the art school I go to and it's not because instructors there forgot to teach stuff like that. It's because it's not as important to teach for people who want to pursue making animated stories as much as what I quoted. What I said about what the appeal of animation as a storytelling craft really is has been taught for decades and it's not limited to a single culture of region. It's unnecessary to think like that because what I quoted above can apply universally and at any age.

If you think those other things that make you like Japanese animation in particular is so great to you personally in terms of what you just watch, again, that's fine. Frankly I like those things to a certain extent, I never said I hated them. But if you're trying to argue that's more than anything else the biggest appeal and even only appeal in not just Japanese animation but all other animation in general and dismiss any other animation because it's for kids according to what network it runs on or whatever, then I'll still call that being narrowminded. And I'm going to keep calling it that because you're dismissing what elements in observing (I'm not equating "observing" with just "passively watching" for the record) and creating animated stories can make them be so appealing, regardless of what audiences these stories end up being made for. There's just way way more to appreciate about animation in general than little things that makes you think, "adult content" or "lots of different genre".

Also, on the brief topic of what I said earlier about needing to be more observant. It helps if you start by not being quick to compare, categorize and judge animation of different cultures. Rather, try to pay more attention to characters in an animated story instead and see what those characters are trying to visually express and comminucate to you in the story. In your case, I would try finding and observing an animated story that's not from Japan for a change.
Kyonin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
@ Stuart: Pre-School Show is a bit harsh, its much better then that. Also i'm not saying the shows are in the same league yes it is wrong to compare them as actual shows, just making a round about statement about actual fanbases, both liking something that was origoinally intended for young girls. Thats all.

But yes the show unlike what your saying is written so multiple age groups can enjoy it, again the writers specifically state they write something they would want to sit down and watch with their kids, near everyone on the shows staff has been in the animation field for Decades and worked on many popular Cartoon Network & even a few Nicktoons over the years, they know what they are doing. And believe it or not the characters in the show do develop over time just like in any other good story, and the show does have a sense of continuity that it builds off of, which is more then can be said for most "pre-school" shows.

Again I will say I was overzealous into comparing it to PreCure, but my overall point still stands.

Oh give it a rest. We all know about your bias so give up the act. If you really don't think your point is unfounded and that you aren't prejudice then you must not really read what you type or are simply oblivious to it. We all know of your My Little Pony obsession and prejudice in that regard, and nothing presented demonstrates the show is on par with anything in the Japanese market or even the American market other than the fact you think you do and say you do, but in the end your credibility is no greater than anyone else invested in said market or a resident of Japan. In the end it's just, "well my friends say" or "I was on x site and saw" or "I haven't seen it so it must be like this".

All you've demonstrated is that you're obsessed with My Little Pony, have an irrational disdain towards that which is not part of Equestria (probably the center of the universe in your world), are outright dismissive of something's quality simply because in your apparent all knowing all seeing world you feel your show is just as good as others so it must be truly equal, and most importantly that you see yourself as some great expert based on hilariously bad credentials that would make a good chunk of people on this site "experts" or even greater "experts" than you on shows they like.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:37 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
NeoPhoenixTE wrote:
The Brony plague is about to cross international waters.

Time to see what kind of "favorite pony" crossovers the Japanese fans will come up with.

Or it'll end up like Avatar and bomb and get cancelled before even half the episodes air.

spoiler[Shut the f*ck up, TitanXL]

EDIT: Ok, it's obvious Kyonin is Stuart's alt Laughing

Last edited by rockman nes on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I've been meaning to address this post here for a moment.

I had to check the part of the episode where this happens and it didn't look like this at all. I don't know who made the gif look like that, but Shining Armor (I think that's his name) managed to throw Cadence so far off the camera that she shot a stream of her color patterns.

But even then, I found myself believing in everything else in that cutscene. I believed in the expression on Shining Armor's face and his body language while urgently lifting up Cadence with all of his might and basically shooting her off the screen (which again, that was what really happened not this gif here). And for something done on flash, it's good to know they cared enough to keep the color of the sky the way it is to show there's something tense in the scene while having those swirly designed clouds to keep the overall aesthetic of the show. Sometimes clouds in an animated show look a lot more simplistic than that, not that being simple is bad at all.

Yes, I'm being earnest as I say this. This has nothing to do with me being a fan of the show. It's just a matter of what I've said before about being more observant with animation, which is what I've been learning to do lately. Try to for once look at these things for 2 minutes and not just 2 seconds folks.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12