• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Another End of Eva Question

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Villhelmya

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:29 am Reply with quote
I just watched end of evangeligan ( the most heart wrenching anime par grave of fireflys) and i wonderd in disbelif why did spoiler[ Shinji strangle oscar, at the end]

Plase i need some sencible answers to put my mind at rest
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Villhelmya wrote:
I just watched end of evangeligan ( the most heart wrenching anime par grave of fireflys) and i wonderd in disbelif why did spoiler[ Shinji strangle oscar, at the end]

Plase i need some sencible answers to put my mind at rest
That was the controversy with that ending. Sensibility had nothing to do with it. Rolling Eyes
Villhelmya

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:39 pm Reply with quote
but i thought through various hints they subconciously liked eachother, and as a question what do you belive to of happened after the end
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Just for future reference, it's "Asuka". : )

spoiler[It's not exactly clear, but the theory I go along with is after rejecting instrumentality, Shinji was trying to see if this was truly a world with pain, and all the frustration and angst built up from the beginning of the series sort of culminates in that spot. Something like that, I'm not entirely an expert.]

Someone else can probably explain this better than me.
Villhelmya

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for that but if anybody wants to add to that or clarify any points it would be gratefull......

Just one last question spoiler[did asuka die, was it a "world of pain" and the "Pathetic" comment was just a metaphorical surimisation (soz can spell) or she couldnt die it was his new world like the one he was shown in the instrimality drive so he could make anything possible....... maby he was distraught at the loss of missato (noticed blood),and rei and didn't want to start the earth with the person who he thaught hated him and how he had killed many times in mind ]
b214

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:53 pm Reply with quote
After spoiler[shinji rejected human instrumentallity, but everyone else did, was shinji gonna live alone with asuka who was the only other person seen to have rejected it. Or is it since he was like the chosen one that whatever he chose applied to everyone and brought everyone back.] Which one is it.

I don't think spoiler[Asuka died, as shinji stopped choking her, she looked up at him and that was the end.]
Villhelmya

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I think it is spoiler[ like you know the original series, in the last 2 episodes they show 'shinjis' world where he can create walls and do anything he wants, if you remember he creates the alternate starting (the funny one). It could be like that but it also could be like the begining, with adam and eve.. thats my top theroy but i still dont know why he strangeled her and why the pathetic comment was made it was a chilling and unnacecary ending]
Wolf X

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I thought that the comment made by Auska was because that out of everyone to choose from to be with him at the end of the world he chose her, the most dominating person in his life. While everyone would tell him that it was his decision Auska would give him one chance to do something and then she would make the decision for him. Could it be that he didn't choose Misato or Rei because the one true wish he had was not to have to make decisions himself and went with the one personality that would completely dominate his own? Just one of the thousands of theories their are....

Another possiblility... the phrase "in death there is rebirth" was used frequently during the movie. Could it be that Shinji and Auska were to be the new adam and eve but in a new reality where the dominating sex wasn't man but woman?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Arrr, matey, there be so many theories about that scene. Here be one of them: spoiler[Shinji's feelings toward Asuka mirror his feelings toward the world in general. Recall that in an earlier scene, Shinji attempts to strangle her in the apartement. Shinji hates Asuka for rejecting him, but still feels some sort of sick attraction for her (cf. the infamous "I'm so f~ed up scene at the beginning of the movie). In the same way, Shinji hates the world ("If they don't need me, they can just die, and I should just die too." *activates Instrumentality and ends world*) for rejecting him, but in the end, he doesn't want to completely destroy individual forms and consciousness. So, he hates Asuka and the world, but at the same time, can't bring himself to completely destroy them--thus he stops strangling Asuka in the last scene, and Asuka calls him "pathetic" because he can't make up his mind. In this way, the series and Shinji's development end on an undecided note. However, the last line has numerous possible translations and interpratations, and that's a whole other issue.]

Beyond that, it's been said that End of Evangelion was partly made as Anno's reaction to the obsessive otaku who complained about TV 25-26 and idolize anime girls like Rei & Asuka. Take from that what you will.[/spoiler]
Dranxis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Juts to add on to this thread rather than make a new one, I have some really quick plot-related questions about Eva.

Did spoiler[Gendo himself kill his wife? I know he used her DNA to make Rei, but did he kill his wife just for that or was there some sort of accident?]

Also, what exactly is the spoiler[relationship between Lillith, humanity, Adam and Eve in the series? Strictly plot-wise. What I basically got from the series was that the Evas were a reborn-version of Eve, and that initially humanity were actually the Lillim, or the offspring of Lillith and Adam... So the whole point of the Eva project was an attempt to recreate the union between Adam and Eve using the Evas... (but again, I'm probably WAY off the mark here...) Could anyone explain this for me?]
The Sphinx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm not going to touch the second question because I think the religious symbolism in Eva is ultimately just window dressing. It may be interesting to other people though, so I'll leave the Lilith issues to someone who has more information on the subject.

But about the first question... spoiler[Gendo did not kill Yui (his wife). She was absorbed into Eva Unit-01 in some kind of freakish accident... Something to do with early tests of the Eva and the LCL mixture. She went into the Eva and never came back out...

Though her body was absorbed by the LCL it becomes apparent that some part of her personality (her soul?) actually inhabits Unit-01. This is why Shinji can immediately synchronise with Unit-01 in the first episode, and it's why the Eva moves on its own to protect Shinji in that same episode. How Gendo got samples of Yui's DNA to create Rei is never told, as far as I know... though it's probably not hard to explain considering she was his wife.]
Dranxis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Thank you Sphinx, that clears up alot for me. I had a pretty good idea that spoiler[Yui's soul inhabited Eva-1 but I never made the connection between that and it's ability to move on its own...]
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:38 am Reply with quote
Completely OT, but when you said "oscar," I thought, "When did Shinji kill that guy from Hey Arnold who's always yelling 'make me a sandwich?'"

I'm in the minority of people who liked the original ending better than EoE. Then again, I was warned in advance that the ending was going to be bizarre and confusing, and I came into ready to pscycho-analyze everything. I ended up loving it, and it remains as one of my favorite endings ever to an anime series. I liked the movie, too, but try as I might, I just couldn't understand it at all. (This thread is giving me a totally new insight to it, though; I think I'll watch it again with this new knowledge.)

And on the subject of spoiler[Shinji strangling Asuka - what was up with those weird drawings of the burning house? And another general EoE question: What was that really scary baby playing in the sand? That thing still haunts my nightmares.]
Dranxis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Actually, in some ways I also like the TV ending better. The movie provided some uh, eye candy and answered plot questions that were never addressed, but personally I feel that Shinji's epiphany was handled so much better in the TV series. spoiler[I was much more satisfied with his character development, and how, at the end, Shinji 'got it' and understood that his sole source of happiness didn't need to be rooted in his performance with the Eva. In the movie, it seemed glossed over. Shinji was taken into Lillith's womb, somewhat half-heartedly decided that he liked the world with pain better, and rejected Instrumentality. What kind of epiphany is that?]

As for the baby.. spoiler[my memory's fuzzy, but I remember thinking that the baby was supposed to represent Shinji, and the two girls playing with him Rei and Asuka. The swing in the background mirrored Shinji's feelings of happiness when it swang, but stopped when the girl's mother's came and took them away from the playground, leaving Shinji alone. I'm not sure but I think the sand castle(?) he was building was supposed to be either his budding feelings of happiness or his understanding of love, which is why he destroyed it after Asuka and Rei had been taken away (killed).]
b214

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Dranxis wrote:

As for the baby.. spoiler[my memory's fuzzy, but I remember thinking that the baby was supposed to represent Shinji, and the two girls playing with him Rei and Asuka. The swing in the background mirrored Shinji's feelings of happiness when it swang, but stopped when the girl's mother's came and took them away from the playground, leaving Shinji alone. I'm not sure but I think the sand castle(?) he was building was supposed to be either his budding feelings of happiness or his understanding of love, which is why he destroyed it after Asuka and Rei had been taken away (killed).]

Oh my gosh, i just thought that was a memory of another time that shinji was left alone in his life that attributed to his protective, shy personality. That also makes a lot of sense. I loved that music that was playing during that scene, it fit perfectly with the mood
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2