• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Guin Saga BD audio issue?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:56 am Reply with quote
I'm unsure if it's an audio issue or what, but maybe someelse else has the BD and can answer.

On the 2nd BD on episode 14. Shining Ship, Shining Lady

The scene were Aldo Norisse (VA Jay Hickman), he's talking to his retainer (she has the long black hair and wearing the armor). She was talking and the guy then talking, the line were he says "That's so dangerous" sounded really off...like, if didn't even sound like the same guy.

I wanted to know if this was an all round issue with discs or if I just happened to get 1 with that one issue.

I wanted to checked before I asked RightStuf for a replacement disc.
noigeL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:45 am Reply with quote
It's not a an audio issue, it's a dub issue. There's some random lines in that dub that are just... not good.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:13 am Reply with quote
Yeah, like he said. That's an issue with the acting itself. The Guin Saga dub - particularly the second volume - is notorious for it's hilariously bad dub. You can thank that lovable scamp Stephen Foster for that one. Rolling Eyes
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:20 pm Reply with quote
So, that line is like that on every disc?

That's what I want to know. I don't want to hear BS because "because it's a bad dub" because it's not a dub issue. Because I know for a fact Hickman doesn't sound like that.

I don't want to hear it, I want someone who either has the BD or even the DVD and see if it's like that on their copy as well.

I don't want to hear bias crap because I'm almost done with watching it in English dub...and I see NOTHING wrong with the dub...not sure what the hell you people are watching, but there is nothing wrong with the dub.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
I don't want to hear bias crap because I'm almost done with watching it in English dub...and I see NOTHING wrong with the dub...not sure what the hell you people are watching, but there is nothing wrong with the dub.

Nothing... you say? Very Happy

Looks like it's time to break out THIS little gem again. Laughing

All of those scenes? Those were kept in the ACTUAL dub. I swear that is NOT a gag reel. And yes, the scene you just spoke about? It's featured here too. Basically it's Hickman doing a "bomb", or a line flub on purpose, in a silly voice. For reasons not quite known, it was actually left IN THE FINAL PRODUCT.

So yes, NOW I can honestly tell you: The reason for that issue is because IT'S A BAD DUB. Cool
ssandulak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap...that...that is one awful dub...Not to derail the topic much further, but what must one consider a bad dub if that has "nothing" wrong with it?
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Who thinks it's a bad dub?

Aside from the ONE line that I noticed, the dub damn fine. If people think it's bad, then you honestly need to play Dragon Age and learn how a lot of people see how they talk.

If people think this dub is bad, then you're either holding the whole "the Japanese is better, screw English" to hard. Or you have no idea what to expect when watching such things that take place in the general time frame where Guin Saga takes place.

I read plenty of fantasy novels, and yes, they do talk like that in books. So best go read a sword fantasy novel before you jump the gun and judge it, because people are judging without putting into account of how people around that time would talk.
ssandulak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Granted I haven't seen the whole thing but just from those clips it's not what they're saying...for the most part, it's how they're saying it. Half those lines sound like they would be out takes on other dubs and they just forgot to redo the lines. Others sound like they gave a guy $20 on the street and told him to read this line...complete with background noise. Or the part where they mix up the translation with his inner monologue and he's mumbling anyways (the singing part)?
I kid you not, skip to 2:20 of those clips and try not to laugh. Ditto for 7:20'ish. Super awesome man arms, not making this up! Wow...Please, please tell me another fantasy novel/work that says he will use his super awesome man arms!
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I finished the dub...ALL OF IT, and the dun isn't bad

And yes, read Nightrunner, Sirgel would say, "Super awesome man arms" because that's the type of guy he is, he jokes and he would say it to get a laugh out of his lover, Alec.

And the mercenary in Guin Saga, he's a joking guy. he'll be serious if he wants, but at most part, stay upbeat and not be serious about everything.

They say dumbass, they say "by the *insert whatever god they worship name here* balls." Or whatever body part they with to use. Sergil says a lot of stuff you people are calling out on a bad dub.

Hell, watch any medieval series (any form of media) and point out were they don't joke in one? They have men in Tights making fun of it all. Lord of the Rings has director jokes, as does the Hobbit. What's wrong with Steven wanting to put in his own jokes into his own dub? Nothing.
ssandulak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree. Smile
Okay watched it again and I still can't believe how bad it is.
"I have loved your love! More than anyone could love eternal love like this love."
An actual quote from that video, maybe missing a word or two...just...HOW can you DEFEND that?! I nearly broke into tears from laughing so hard. That people get payed for things of this quality...blows my freaking mind.
See this? Shocked <---- *mind blown*

Or the part where she breaks the news to the blonde...queen...woman...whomever...TOTALLY the tone of voice I would use to break news like that. I mean BRAVO! What heights will these giants among men rise towards in the future? Thank you, I now have a new anime to name when someone wants the worst dub I can think of in recent memory. Guin Saga...I tip my hat to you.

Last edited by ssandulak on Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:00 am; edited 2 times in total
noigeL

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:48 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
So, that line is like that on every disc?

That's what I want to know.

Yes, sir. Every disc.
Zopelthe543

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:40 am Reply with quote
Sir you are scaring me if you think this dub looks perfectly fine. I can understand to a degree that parts of the dub work well but there are some significant hiccups that I find hard for anyone not to notice. I mean for god sakes the scene in that video that spaceman hardy has posted, if you go 39 seconds into it, the actor who plays Aldo Norisse literally goes out of character saying "Thats so dangerous!" in a stereotypical flamboyant tone. I remember seeing that and being so baffled by why they decided to use that as the final recording. not to mention the singing from that one guy is seriously pure gold that could never be taken as a good dub.

I remember telling myself that if the release of this series had english voice/director commentary I would buy it in a heart beat to understand why the hell they chose to intentionally goof up on the dub near the second half of the series. If anybody could answer that to me, you would be a god to me. I've noticed sentaifilmworks has been doing that quite often on some of there releases like Golgo13.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:58 am Reply with quote
And I SAID, that the point I said (The effing reason why I starred the damn thread in the 1st place), was the only line I see an issue with...just because it doesn't even sound like Hickman.

Hell, I'm fine with the English singing that the bard does. It's rough, but whatever, not everyone can sing.

I see nothing else wrong with the dub and I watched it ALL.

If you people want bad dub, look somewhere else. I swear, people nit pick every damn thing when they can.

You know what I find an awful dub. that stupid magical girl show, PMMM...those female actors have no emotion when acting in that anime. And to top it off, they have awful voices.

Again, there are people that like a dub and people that will hate it. don't be telling people they're wrong for thinking a dub is good, when in fact, it's an opinion. And I like the dub for Guin Saga and see only a couple mistakes done to it.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:21 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
And I SAID, that the point I said (The effing reason why I starred the damn thread in the 1st place), was the only line I see an issue with...just because it doesn't even sound like Hickman.

Hell, I'm fine with the English singing that the bard does. It's rough, but whatever, not everyone can sing.

I see nothing else wrong with the dub and I watched it ALL.

If you people want bad dub, look somewhere else. I swear, people nit pick every damn thing when they can.

You know what I find an awful dub. that stupid magical girl show, PMMM...those female actors have no emotion when acting in that anime. And to top it off, they have awful voices.

Again, there are people that like a dub and people that will hate it. don't be telling people they're wrong for thinking a dub is good, when in fact, it's an opinion. And I like the dub for Guin Saga and see only a couple mistakes done to it.
> Defends obvious dubbing mistakes
> Calls Madoka Magica stupid
> Expects to be taken seriously

One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong...
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Dude, I'm a big dub fan. I've defended a LOT of dubs as being good or at least "not that bad" when people have complained about them.

But man, this dub? If that YouTube clip is indicative of the actual content of the dub, it's bad. It's REALLY bad. It's like, nearly as bad as Garzy's Wing (although I don't think they were trying to make Garzy's Wing funny). It's obviously not trying to be taken seriously at all.

Vata Raven wrote:

But he's a bard. If he was just some random dude singing a drinking song at an inn, sure, it doesn't have to be perfect, but if an actor is supposed to be playing a character that sings as a living, it's a poor casting decision not to get an actor that can actually sing. (Although the singing sounds bad enough that it was probably intentional.)

Seriously, I can understand defending a dub, but I'm really a little baffled that the only thing you think sounded off was the one Jay Hickman line.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2