• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - The Greatest Censorship Fails

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I got the 1990's edition of that Tenchi manga. My internal kewlness just when up a degree. Laughing
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I got the 1990's edition of that Tenchi manga. My internal kewlness just when up a degree. Laughing

Actually it did, you gotta love having outta print manga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:37 pm Reply with quote
CecilthedarkKnight__234 wrote:
Quote:
Actually it did, you gotta love having outta print manga.

Not that difficult actually, you just have to buy it when it comes out. It all goes out of print sooner or later, mostly sooner. Very Happy
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote
The stars censoring the nipples were hilarious. It called to mind the pasties strippers wear.

Censorship is such an exercise in futility.

Unfortunately, a lot of the explicit yaoi coming out of Japan these days is pre-censored, thanks to Bill 156. Manga publishers in the U.S. really can't do anything about it, and from what I hear, it is hurting sales. Case in point, DMP's third volume of a popular, explicit yaoi series was unexpectedly released censored, and when this was reported in the on-line forums, many readers cancelled their orders. One of the forum members contacted DMP, who admitted that this was due to the ordinance, and they published it the way Japan sent it. I have to wonder if DMP's recent hiatus is partly due to all the pre-censored stuff coming out of Japan. Most of their customers are looking for the explicit stuff, and that seems to be increasingly rare. I guess that is why they've been licensing more H stuff lately. Pre-ordinance stuff is less likely to be censored.

Funny thing is, the "censorship" of these yaoi titles done in Japan is executed in a such a way that there are blindingly white, exact silhouettes of the body parts that have been censored. They are so white, and so exact, it is extremely obvious what specifically has been censored. I've taken to nicknaming them "Caspers" since they look like "friendly" little ghosts. Laughing
Crispy45

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:41 pm Reply with quote
>_> Oh man as a huge Yu-Gi-Oh! fan I can attest every single one of these examples has plagued the American version of the anime, manga, and game forever.

Nudity? Toonami brand digital swimsuits. midriffs? Cover 'em up A thigh-length skirt? lengthen it

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/4409/1350839219189.jpg

Guns? either recolor 'em, change 'em to weird laser things, or other stuff

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/6204/1350859219189.jpg

Implied murder? Someone being horrificly mauled or mutilated? Change it to be less violent.

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/8798/1350859279189.jpg

Death? Not on our watch.

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/2884/1350839229189.jpg

The dumbest change has to be horns though >_> with that other stuff I can at least see why they'd have to do that if they try to market a teenage thing to little kids.. but horns? I guess they're a demonic reference but LOL that's just sad.

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/7955/babytragon.jpg

It also got that Zatchbell treatment. Demons were changed to Fiends. Angels were changed to Fairies. 99% of the names are changed and toned down to be less monsterous or 'evil' or religious. ~_~ It's gotta be the most butchered and edited manga/anime/game/card thing in America I've ever seen. At least in the card game it looks kinda decently edited...sometimes... but in the series itself just looks so cheap and obvious

http://imageshack.us/f/99/ivdeadgirlcomparison.jpg

I guess censors are gonna go crazy at a little girl suffering from a headshot wound, but changing the girl's coffin to a gift box? that seems even darker if you think about it... >_>
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Another censored "yaoi" instance Viz did was with Naruto. Sakura at one point gets a harem jutsu put on her by Konohamaru, featuring clones of a shirtless Sasuke and Sai. For the American release Viz decided the sight of two shirtless boys about to make out was too much, so they just turned the whole thing into black shadows.

I'm not a yaoi fan, but I as a female Naruto reader felt so cheated I ended up importing the Japanese edition cause, dammit, that was just about the only piece of female targeted fan service Kishimoto has ever given female readers. Course I've done the exact same thing before with Lee's drunken master jutsu that was edited, and now also Shikamaru's cigarette removals. I really don't like edited manga.

It's a crime against the female audience I tell you. So what if it would have exposed young American children to the concept of homosexual relationships. Naruto has been doing girl on girl for years.

To this day I still wish I had the final volume or so of Shadow Star in english. I have all Darkhorse released, but I still want to see it completed and you'd think after 10 years they could probably get away with the content. I mean, I'd like to think we're a bit more lenient on the content of comics, as long as it's obvious it's not for kids.

Last edited by littlegreenwolf on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:

In Japan, yes, but I don't see too many under 18 year olds interested in the romance genre in the US. I should have been clearer about what I meant there, my bad.

They'd be interested in romance, yes, but not too many would be interested in reading a manga about it I'd guess, sadly.
I don't know anything about the manga industry in the US, but I have a notion that Love Hina was quite successful in there. Maybe someone else can give other examples.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:02 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Another censored "yaoi" instance Viz did was with Naruto. Sakura at one point gets a harem jutsu put on her by Konohamaru, featuring clones of a shirtless Sasuke and Sai. For the American release Viz decided the sight of two shirtless boys about to make out was too much, so they just turned the whole thing into black shadows.

That's just bizarre, considering the scene is obviously played for laughs. Especially so, considering Sai's reaction to it.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
I don't know, as a gay man I'm actually kind of torn on that scene, the original version I mean.

It just seemed to shout, "Hey straight boys! Isn't homosexuality weird and funny to look at? Oh, and here's some sugar for you girls too".

And yeah it was censored but, yeah, it's conflicting for me. Don't know how to put it. Also yes, the all female harem thing being uncensored is also stupid too. But that's another can of worms.

Oddly enough, the text in that scene wasn't altered. Sai still says, "It's Sasuke and me"

I agree, it's kind of a weird instance. I always found it rather refreshing as a way to balance the sexes a bit here in Naruto though. In context before that page I believe Sakura was going on about how it was stupid how guys could fall for something like Naruto's harem Jutsu, and that it'd never affect a girl. I never took it at a crack against gay guys, or even yaoi (which I'm not really a fan of honestly). It was a crack at Sakura and girls denying that naked guys can't be a turn on and distracting. It sort of turns its head on the whole stereotype we have here in America where it's hot and accepted for two girls to be making out, but guys? That's just maddness. Rolling Eyes
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
…co-opted by weeaboo Nazis…

Curious. Such a choice of words renders the underlying idea far more lucid than it really should.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

I agree, it's kind of a weird instance. I always found it rather refreshing as a way to balance the sexes a bit here in Naruto though. In context before that page I believe Sakura was going on about how it was stupid how guys could fall for something like Naruto's harem Jutsu, and that it'd never affect a girl. I never took it at a crack against gay guys, or even yaoi (which I'm not really a fan of honestly).

I can see that, but there WAS the whole accidental kiss between Naruto and Sasuke in the second chapter which to me really had some underlinings of juvenile gay panic humor.

Quote:
It was a crack at Sakura and girls denying that naked guys can't be a turn on and distracting. It sort of turns its head on the whole stereotype we have here in America where it's hot and accepted for two girls to be making out, but guys? That's just maddness. Rolling Eyes

Definatley not disagreeing with you here. Still, I would like to believe that things are getting better day by day
Magna_Lilly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Haha! I remember being a little kid, I got a free copy of the Electric Tale of Pikachu... I think I hid it after I read it. I was worried I'd get banned from watching the show cause my mom would think the content was the same.

Anyways, interesting article. I always love looking up what got censored in the stuff I read. Yu-gi-Oh really got me into that when I found all the uncut stuff on Youtube as a kid.
Although I am religious, I never understood why they would censor crosses and religious symbols. I always felt editing it out felt more "offensive" than including it in any way. But that's just me I guess...
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
I don't know, as a gay man I'm actually kind of torn on that scene, the original version I mean.

It just seemed to shout, "Hey straight boys! Isn't homosexuality weird and funny to look at? Oh, and here's some sugar for you girls too".

And yeah it was censored but, yeah, it's conflicting for me. Don't know how to put it. Also yes, the all female harem thing being uncensored is also stupid too. But that's another can of worms.

Oddly enough, the text in that scene wasn't altered. Sai still says, "It's Sasuke and me"

I agree, it's kind of a weird instance. I always found it rather refreshing as a way to balance the sexes a bit here in Naruto though. In context before that page I believe Sakura was going on about how it was stupid how guys could fall for something like Naruto's harem Jutsu, and that it'd never affect a girl. I never took it at a crack against gay guys, or even yaoi (which I'm not really a fan of honestly). It was a crack at Sakura and girls denying that naked guys can't be a turn on and distracting. It sort of turns its head on the whole stereotype we have here in America where it's hot and accepted for two girls to be making out, but guys? That's just maddness. Rolling Eyes

I guess Viz has bought into the idea that girl's minds must be "pure" of sexual thoughts. Maybe they won't even know when they are being sexually exploited [/sarcasm]

Even more so, there's the fear that the little boys reading Naruto could be "tempted to become homosexual" by viewing an image like that. Rolling Eyes

The whole thing is stupid capitulation to the "jesus lassoed velociraptors!" crowd on the far right.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:59 pm Reply with quote
The whole point of the Naruto scene was Sakura was berating Konohamaru and Naruto for using perverted jutsu but then falls pray to the same jutsu. Basically, she ended up doing what she was berating the boys for doing; showing that Sexy Jutsu works on both genders. The scene would later be parodied in Naruto SD. If they want to hide homosexuality, that's one thing, but the way Viz edited it gives the unfortunate implication of that kind of 'Homophobic Frat Boy' mentality of where homosexuality is okay if it's two girls but not two guys. I guess it's a double standard of life.

Re: Pocket Monsters. There's been various manga for it over the years, but yes the "doujin artist" one is probably the most noticeable in terms of censorship. Where Kasumi's shorts rode up her butt crack and other gratuitous things. The card game was also edited, such things like Kasumi's Tears was changed from a naked Kasumi to just her face crying. Another manga Special, was censored a bit also. Fuguri hiding her Monster Balls in her bra, among other sexual things, people getting slapped/hit, tons of name changes and such.

In terms of other cards, Yu-Gi-Oh's had way too much censorship to note. Anything remotely violent, sexual, religious, or Japanese was remoted or changed. Amusing edits being guns changed to slingshots or made invisible, and the whole 'Shadow Realm' nonsense they invented to replace death or maiming in the series. "Heart of the Cards" was another amusing thing, giving the implication there's some magical force that has nothing better to do that determine the outcome of card games like some kind of Star Wars' Force equivalent. The concept of that amuses me.

As for smoking, I believe they changed an Hikaru no Go moment to where a character rubbing his cigarette out on a Go board is changed to him sticking a piece of gum there. All my knowledge comes second hand though as I never read the English version.

Paint edits are easy enough to spot or point out, but the whole 'selective translation' is probably my most disliked type of censorship. The Death Note one is a good example. With censorship it's easy to see and easy enough to point out when a manga is edited. Translation can be far more subtle and give the illusion a manga with no visual edits is unaltered, when it's not.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
VegettoEX wrote:
And that's how Satan saved the world.

Haha, best post ever. And people say the devil never accomplished anything important. XP

Wine for everyone! No wait, we need to censor that. Soda for everyone (Rave Master censor lol XD)!

TitanXL wrote:
If they want to hide homosexuality, that's one thing, but the way Viz edited it gives the unfortunate implication of that kind of 'Homophobic Frat Boy' mentality of where homosexuality is okay if it's two girls but not two guys. I guess it's a double standard of life.

True, and that's one of the worst mentalities out there.

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9