• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shaman King 4kids changes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I was just curious as to what 4kids changed. I know that they changed the names of the characters. Manta=Morty, HoroHoro=Tray, Hau=Zeke, Ryo=Rio (not that big a deal was that one?) And I'm aware that they changed the look of guns to look like pop toys.

But other than that, what else? I can't imagine this show having curse words beyond damn and maybe bastard so that can be let go and I don't think there was much blood letting in that series. Also, I know that there are no uncut dvds but are there dvds of the cut series?
KyoKun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:07 pm Reply with quote
There is Uncut DVD's but there are only two, so sadly if you wanna see the uncut ones besides the 6 available in America, you would probably have to import the Japanese. DVDs.
Kouji

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:10 pm Reply with quote
When in doubt, Google is your friend: http://home.earthlink.net/~shamanking-uncensored/
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:22 pm Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
And I'm aware that they changed the look of guns to look like pop toys.

Surprisingly, after seeing some of Shaman King, some of the guns are kept especially the one the leader of the X-Laws was carrying. Hell, most of the blood wasn't totally edited; it was mostly darkened. I have to say this and Pokemon are the only anime series 4Kids handled quite well.
KyoKun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Aside from Yoh's anoyign laugh, I mean really anoying, and Ren's fake English accent it was ok..
Alex K.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:04 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
outlawwolf wrote:
And I'm aware that they changed the look of guns to look like pop toys.

I have to say this and Pokemon are the only anime series 4Kids handled quite well.

Too bad they gave away their only good series to a company that could care less about dub consistency.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=259938#259938
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Ryo=Rio

It was actually "Ryu=Rio", from the dragon to the river. He also wasn't latino before.

Quote:
I have to say this and Pokemon are the only anime series 4Kids handled quite well.

It was MOSTLY an ok edit, way way way better than One Piece, but the name changes REALLY bugged me, especially Hao, Ren, and Chocolove. Seriously, how the hell could they leave in "Amidamaru" and yet change "Hao" to "Zeke"?

Ren's accent was annoying too.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:07 am Reply with quote
Changing R's to L's and vice versa is barely called changing. That's just nitpicking a rediculously small point. Like Ryselg being called Lyserg. Like I said, small changes like that don't bother me. Episode merging, blood (if there's alot. If it's just a few spatters I can care less), cutting out episdes, and outlandish editting are what really set me off.
Shorty22

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:49 am Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
When in doubt, Google is your friend: http://home.earthlink.net/~shamanking-uncensored/

Heh, I was going to recommend that site. I followed that guide while I watched the series. I'm not sure if she ever added comparisons for the last episodes, but there are comparisons for them in the forum by other viewers. They should be easy to spot as well, I remember them being mostly clearly titled.

And without getting into a whole 4kids argument/discussion, if they aren't going to release subs, why can't they release dubs then? I'd be mildly satisfied with dubs. I mean, they're releasing Sonic X, why is that so different?

And I agree with Ohoni, how can you leave in Amidamaru and then change the rest of the names? "My name is Horo Horo... but I prefer Trey Racer." Just what the hell is that about? Confused
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Like Ryselg being called Lyserg.

Lyserg is Lyserg, just as Dao Ren is Dao Ren.

Ren does NOT Equal "Lenny", Ryu does NOT equal "Rio", and Horohoro does NOT equal "Trey".

Quote:

And I agree with Ohoni, how can you leave in Amidamaru and then change the rest of the names? "My name is Horo Horo... but I prefer Trey Racer." Just what the hell is that about? Confused

I actually hope that they get the rights to Rozen Maiden, here's the potential name changes:
Jun=John
Nori=Nora
Shinku=Rose
Hinaichigo=Berry
Suiseiseki=Suiseiseki
Wink
Kouji

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:32 am Reply with quote
To quote the FAQ from Shaman King Uncensored, ""Ren Tao"= "Len Tao" oftentimes referred to as "Lenny". The name change from "Ren" to "Len" isn't actually that big of a deal. When writing out Japanese into Romanized letters, the "R" and "L" are interchangeable."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
To quote the FAQ from Shaman King Uncensored, ""Ren Tao"= "Len Tao" oftentimes referred to as "Lenny". The name change from "Ren" to "Len" isn't actually that big of a deal. When writing out Japanese into Romanized letters, the "R" and "L" are interchangeable."

Not really. One is his name, and the other is a lame attempt to make it sound vaguely like an Anglo name. It's like that Zoro/Zolo thing. I really wish that people wouldn't keep pushing the "R=L" excuse when people deliberately change character's names.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:21 am Reply with quote
It's just nonsensical nitpicking that not only ruins the casual anime fans viewing due to people who are all "His name isn't Len! It's Ren!!!!", but the experience of the regular anime viewer because he's letting such a minor detail ruin what could be a decent experience. Besides, it's not like they changed his character, his agenda, or his outcome. The only thing they did was change the R to an L because it sounds similar. It doesn't matter, get over it. I mean, would you prefer it if they left Light Yagami's name Raito Yagami in the Death Note manga? Would you raise such a fit then?
Kouji

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:53 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

Not really. One is his name, and the other is a lame attempt to make it sound vaguely like an Anglo name. It's like that Zoro/Zolo thing. I really wish that people wouldn't keep pushing the "R=L" excuse when people deliberately change character's names.
In this case, I wish the Japanese would stop deliberately changing our words by spelling telephone as "terephone", but oh no, you never see anyone accuse the all-mighty Japanese of changing our words when they mispell telephone as "terephone" yet people pitch a hissy fit when we spell Ren as Len even though the name is pronounced the same either way. And it amazes me that people pitch a big hissy fit when 4Kids "changes" Ren's name to Len even though nobody pitches a hissy fit when Disney "changes" Rin's name to Lin in Spirited Away. Rolling Eyes
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I mean, would you prefer it if they left Light Yagami's name Raito Yagami in the Death Note manga? Would you raise such a fit then?

Depends. I've heard solid arguements for both sides on that one. The "Light" one works better with "L", while Raito is definitely the authentic Japanese name. I think the original creator wants the Light one or something though. But that whole discussion has nothing to do with Lenny or Zolo, that's actually a question of artistic merit and intent.

Quote:
In this case, I wish the Japanese would stop deliberately changing our words by spelling telephone as "terephone"

I've never seen anything in Japanese where they spelled telephone "terephone". If you've seen something like that it was a mistake, and if it was in a book or tv show then the editors should have caught it, and you are justified in being upset at the poor production values.

Quote:
yet people pitch a hissy fit when we spell Ren as Len even though the name is pronounced the same either way.

No it's not. I Japanese they're both pronounced the same, but in English they are pronounced differently, with Ren having an "R" sound at the begining, and "Lenny" having an "L" sound at the begining, and a "ny" sound at the end. We're talking about the English dub and English pronounciation.

Quote:
And it amazes me that people pitch a big hissy fit when 4Kids "changes" Ren's name to Len even though nobody pitches a hissy fit when Disney "changes" Rin's name to Lin in Spirited Away. Rolling Eyes

Eh. I don't care that much about Sen to Chihiro. Either way, I've heard that the Disney adapters work closely with Miyazaki to ensure that it stays true to his vision of the project or something, so if they had it as Lin then it was probably Lin. $Kids doesn't give a flying #### what the original creators want, they're just making kiddie cartoons.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2