• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Full Metal Panic : The Second Raid !

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angel4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:38 am Reply with quote
Hi. My name is Angel !

I just went to this site just to ask people's opinions on this show and I rarely go on the forums. I have Full Metal Panic and Full Metal Fumoffu and I was just wondering if it's worth buying it, because I can only buy one anime show per month Sad Sad cos of my parents. So should I buy it? I recently checked the rankings of Full Metal Panic Second Raid and its Rank 14 o.O" and I was really amazed. Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu is rank 31 and Full Metal Panic is rank 70 something i forgot. Anywaiz, I just want your opinion if i should buy it or not, because I want to make the right choice to buy this anime because I only can buy one anime show per month. My parents Sad Sad Sad

Thanks Very Happy

Last edited by angel4 on Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Fui

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:25 am Reply with quote
Hi Angel, here's my personal take on it. FMP: TSR is the most action oriented and by far the most serious of the three. The age rating is "Mature" in TSR rather than "Teenager" as in the other two, so that says something about the amount of notably more violence and (slight) nudity in it. If you enjoy more serious shows and liked the basic premise behind FMP, you will surely enjoy the second season. However, if you're looking for something like FMP: Fumoffu? then it's not even close. I personally thought TSR was pretty good, but it wasn't exactly my favorite anime due to its darker nature (just a personal thing). Essentially what you'll be finding is a well put-together plot about another terrorist group and have lots of one-on-one fighting as well as plenty of arm-slave battles. I don't think I could sleep at night if I only saw 2/3 of the series, though. Razz I hope someone who can point out more of its positive traits can give you a little more info on it.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:50 am Reply with quote
In addition to what Fuisaid, FMP! TSR is good if you're a mech and action fanatic. The high school comedy takes a back seat to the military side of things, and we see the development of Sousuke's character beyond "weapons freak who can't cope with peaceful society and always blows stuff up." Still, TSR does have one of the best "romantic tension" scenes that I've ever seen in anime: spoiler[the hair-cutting scene(s) between Kaname and Sousuke in episode 6.]

Unfortunately, no matter how many good things we might say about FMP! TSR, it won't really help you. Why? Because at this time, you can't buy it on DVD outside of Japan (aside from expensive imports with no English audio or subtitles), because it hasn't been licensed to any R1 company. No license = no professional translation = no English dub = no DVDs = "Game over, man, game over!" Watch the ANN front page; if something is announced, it will be there.

EDIT: Oops, somehow I forgot about bootlegs Rolling Eyes, so I guess "can't buy it" isn't the case. However, I don't think you should buy it until it does come out on R1 DVD.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
angel4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:44 am Reply with quote
I really Enjoyed the First series of Full Metal Panic, but then I enjoyed Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu more. But I heard from my mates that I should get other shows then that. But yet, some reason people says Full Metal Panic TSR is 100 times better then the First Series.

Guys.. My local Anime shop Does sell it.. I really mean it. Full Metal Panic : The second Raid. About 2 days ago, I went down to my local Anime shop, only approximity 50 m away from my house, It sold many Anime shows, and the dvd packs are mostly in Perfect collections, except long lasting tv shows like Naruto, bleach which sells up to 50 eps per dvd, $40 dollars. Anyways, In my local Anime shop, for a full show like Full Metal Panic Which contains 26 eps, $40 dollars, same goes to Chobits, Chrno Crusade and others up to 26 eps for e.g;. 13 eps shows like Full Metal Panic ? Fumoffu, Elfen Lied, Please Teacher and others for e.g; 29 dollars, not sold in Volume sets yet Perfect Collection.

Okay, since Full Metal Panic ? The second raid only costs 29 dollars for me and only contains 13 eps, and I don't know why it exists and you said it hasn't release in dvd yet.. Thats why I'm asking u guys should I buy the show =S. I have only 29 dollars Very Happy

I saw Full Metal Panic: TSR. in the front cover, somewhere.. It says "perfect collection" .. Not in volume sets..

The shows I bought so far ( I started watching anime like a month ago, some guy lend me some anime show and I got hooked)

k, the shows I bought so far(all in my local shop)
Full Metal Panic (perfect collection) 40 dollars
Chobits (perfect collection) 40 dollars
Full Metal Panic: fumoffu (perfect collection) 29 dollars
GTO (Perfect collection) 50 dollars(SALE)
Please Teacher (perfect collection) 29 dollars
Mahoramatic: Automatic Maiden and something more beautiful (perfect collection) 29 dollars
Last Exile (Perfect Collection) 40 dollars
Elfen Lied(perefect collection) 29 dollars
Cowboy Bebop (perfect collection) 40 dollars
Fruits Baskets (perfect collection) 40 dollars
Haibane Renmei(perfect collection) 29 dollars

Anime Looking forward to watch:
Full Metal Alchemist and Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid

As you can see, I only bought Perfect collections, never in volumes and I'm not sure if I'm actually getting ripped off .

Note : Australian Money
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:30 am Reply with quote
Just so you know, those are all low-quality, illegal bootlegs. You'd be ripping yourself off to buy them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
angel4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:35 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Just so you know, those are all low-quality, illegal bootlegs. You'd be ripping yourself off to buy them.

sorry. What are bootlegs? And what do you mean by low quality? The dvd low quality graphics, sounds?

Again very sorry.. So perfect collections are like fake? :S
I'm confused ... Someone over tv.com told me its real, if the bar code starts with the number 4 and the person also said that number is the Australia Region number and also the Mexician, and the bar code starts with the number 0, its a fake...
I'm confused, after all I'm getting ripped off?

Last edited by angel4 on Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:38 am; edited 2 times in total
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:36 am Reply with quote
angel4 wrote:
never in volumes and I'm not sure if I'm actually getting ripped off .
Note : Australian Money

Even in Austrailian dollars, that's too cheap to be anything but HK bootlegs.

Best way to tell is that the licensed Australian versions will have Madman Entertainment logos on them.
Fui

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:40 am Reply with quote
Yeah I was wondering why the prices on those "perfect collections" you mentioned were so low. Then you mentioned TSR being already sold on DVD there which pretty much puts the nail on the coffin that they're bootlegs. It was also quite unusual that I'd never heard of "perfect collections" from any of those titles mentioned. You're paying for fake merchandise... Confused

OT: Nagisa you totally drilled the people who replied to the other Anime Word Chain thread, and I completely understand bumping a 3-year old thread is trolling (I didn't bump it of course), but I just want to know why you or any other mod didn't lock it earlier, then? Were there like no moderators at that time so that it became a 20-page long thread without anyone thinking otherwise? I'm just curious as to why you're calling everyone idiots for one-word responses when everyone did it for 20 pages and it wasn't locked for 3 years. Hell, even Tempest who made "teh Rules" responded to it with like a 200 title list entry.
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:14 am Reply with quote
angel4 wrote:
Nagisa wrote:

sorry. What are bootlegs? And what do you mean by low quality? The dvd low quality graphics, sounds?

Again very sorry.. So perfect collections are like fake? :S
I'm confused ... Someone over tv.com told me its real, if the bar code starts with the number 4 and the person also said that number is the Australia Region number and also the Mexician, and the bar code starts with the number 0, its a fake...
I'm confused, after all I'm getting ripped off?

Check out this thread on spotting bootlegs.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5401
angel4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:50 am Reply with quote
btw.

When I bought anime from the shelves of my local anime shop, it didn't seem fake at all. The front cover looks real, the plastic paper thingy was wrapped around the anime box dvd, and there were pics infront of the dvd cover of course, and information + pics at the back, japanese and English. When I looked inside the dvd package, I observed the disks very carefully if it has been scratched or anything, it was if it was brand new. I watchd the films, and the dvd quality was really good, nothing bad about it. When i watched all the anime, there was nothing wrong with the subs and wrong with the English dubbed voices.

As I said before, someone over tv.com told me that, if the number coded 4, it represents the region number of Mexico but wierd as that sounds it is also the Australian coded number . And you know how cheap mexico sells their stuff, if you've been there, and If it is a fake, it should be coded a 0. In other words, mine was not fake, and it was coded 4 (thats what a guy from tv.com told me, don't know if its true.)

After all, I can't say it is fake since someone told me it can't be a fake. After all, i checked the copyright information.

I Know bootleggers are now.. They are just like counterfeiting the products which are not theirs, eg anime and copy the dvd show and make it cheap which do they not own, so the people can buy their products which they legally not own.

well, I just don't really know.

umm yea, I only have 29 dollars, and I know a lot of people in my area goes to that anime shop and buys a lot it. And after all, those people are getting ripped off and that includes me. As you guys said, its all fake and I dun know if i believe it, but the shop has been open for around 6 years, thats what the anime shop manager told me and the authorities, haven't caught them?

Forgot, I have 29 dollars, and I was thinking, SHOULD I BUY FMP: TSR even though u guys think it's not actually the real thing?

EDIT:
3 disks re-packed, with 26 episodes.. NO NOO NOO , I might of ughh bought boot legs Sad Sad Sad
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:29 am Reply with quote
angel4 wrote:
btw.

When I bought anime from the shelves of my local anime shop, it didn't seem fake at all. The front cover looks real, the plastic paper thingy was wrapped around the anime box dvd, and there were pics infront of the dvd cover of course, and information + pics at the back, japanese and English. When I looked inside the dvd package, I observed the disks very carefully if it has been scratched or anything, it was if it was brand new. I watchd the films, and the dvd quality was really good, nothing bad about it. When i watched all the anime, there was nothing wrong with the subs and wrong with the English dubbed voices.

There's "nothing wrong" because those bootlegs* are stolen from the region 1 releases--they rip the legit discs and then throw 8-9 episodes on a disc, find some packaging somewhere, and mass-produce them. It's not hard to do, and it can look convincing. For something that hasn't been officially released in English like TSR, there won't be a dub and the subtitles will either be bad/Engrish/incomprehensible, or they'll be stolen from fansubs that you could download for free anyway without giving money to thieves and pirates.

*the shop may very well have legit discs, and that's what you might be talking about...however, if it's too cheap to be true, and 8 or more episodes on a disc, it's probably a bootleg. I've never heard of region numbers being on barcodes, btw. What company logos are on those "nothing wrong" discs?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Fui wrote:
but I just want to know why you or any other mod didn't lock it earlier, then? ... I'm just curious as to why you're calling everyone idiots for one-word responses when everyone did it for 20 pages and it wasn't locked for 3 years.

It wasn't locked because we don't lock old threads. It's understood that when a thread is two to three months old—or in this case three years old and some 20 pages back into the list of threads of that forum—that you don't touch it. It's mentioned in the rules. You should know better.

The listing rule wasn't enacted until about early 2005. It wasn't in practice then in 2002/2003. It is now. The people replying to the thread as of 2006 should know better.

Now back on topic, please.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1