• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Racial category of anime characters: an academic survey

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyingclover

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:13 pm Reply with quote
is looking for your input. please help out, thanks!

Please click the link below to take the survey...

http://www.my3q.com/home2/95/amylu/anime.phtml

the server sometimes does not work very well. so please be patient or try back at another time. the whole thing takes less than 10 minutes if the server is working normally. thanks for your input and your consideration again!

Last edited by flyingclover on Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Toboe06

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:26 pm Reply with quote
It took a while, but I did it! Good luck with your survey.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Kind of an odd survey, but at least the credentials check out, so I guess I'll leave this open for a bit.

Just to save the trouble of having the curious, yet lazy inquirers e-mail the source, what is the purpose of this survey, anyway?
flyingclover

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:45 pm Reply with quote
thanks for keeping this up. as for the purpose, sorry, it will remain a secret while the survey is going on. previous research shows that revelation of the survey purpose will prime the viewers' feedback. will post follow up when the survey has closed. thanks again.
jaybug39

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Done and done.

When we find out what is what with this "study" I will tell you about my answers. I don't want to ruin the study, yet. Maybe I will wish I had, but I don't know that for sure now do I?

By the by, your server is a pain. Is it on UNC's system or not? Would have they had a T-3 connection like I have. Go Ducks!
flyingclover

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:16 am Reply with quote
if it were on unc there shouldn't be so much pain! my hunch is that this server is in hong kong--that's what slowed everything down.
mitora

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:46 am Reply with quote
flyingclover wrote:
thanks for keeping this up. as for the purpose, sorry, it will remain a secret while the survey is going on. previous research shows that revelation of the survey purpose will prime the viewers' feedback. will post follow up when the survey has closed. thanks again.

May I suggest PMing the reason for this survey to Tony K. or another mod? They may dislike the idea of keeping this open without knowing your reasons for the survey. I'm sure that they will keep the secret for you.

BTW that was a long survey!
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:19 am Reply with quote
If we knew what race the character was supposed to be, were we supposed to put what they really are, or what we thought they looked like? Because on some of them, I thought, "Well, I know s/he is supposed to be *race*, but now that I think about it, they look more *race.*"

On Lum, I put "Alien." Wink
Jermhatespants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:35 am Reply with quote
I probably should have done this when I was less tired. None of my answers were "unknown race" or "other." I should have put more helpful answers like "German," "French," "Native American," stuff like that. I apologize for that.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:42 am Reply with quote
Interesting. I'd certainly like to see the reasons for this as well as the results and such.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:49 am Reply with quote
Not to mention it might be better to spoiler[use models the fans don't know. Unconsciously we might think "Hey, he looks (blank) but we watched the series and he's (blank).] Just for the sake of the survey.

Would be interested in your results. PM me also sometime with your finds, it'd make a good piece.
Hisdon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:27 am Reply with quote
just to show an example of what the frankman is talking about,spoiler[ Ichigo for example, from Bleach He appears white based off his lighter hair color and more rounded than ovalated eyes but in reality he's Japanese according to the series]
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:20 am Reply with quote
i would like to know what's reason for this too. since japanese make those anime, of course of characters are jp. just like you don;t see many asians in american movies.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:25 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
i would like to know what's reason for this too. since japanese make those anime, of course of characters are jp. just like you don;t see many asians in american movies.

Not to derail this, but do you mean American animation or movies? Because I disagree if you mean animation, and to a lesser extent in movies.
porcupyne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:42 am Reply with quote
not all of the characters are supposed to be japanese. there were a lot of characteres that weren't even supposed to be human. i know what a lot of the characters were, but i judged by appearances.

anyhow, the main question is the multiple choice check box at the end of the questionaire. i mention this because stupid people will, 1. inadvertantly mention this question in detail, or 2. explain what this question is about. either case would completely spoil the questionaire.

there's always someone who just won't get it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2