• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bleach Licensed ?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NamaeX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:50 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Trust me, the second I know that Bleach is being prepared for US release or broadcast, it will be posted on ANN.

-t

And the second I read the announcement, I will shower my city with confetti, screaming at the top of my lungs, "YEEEES!", and begin working on another series to fancast while counting down the days until Bleach airs or goes on DVD.
kenshinruroni16

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:30 am Reply with quote
Skiing vacation? Wow that's impressive. How much do you make off of ANN anyway? I know that you wrote that you're able to fully financial self-sufficient just off the site, and that you hired Zac away from Anime Insider to work for ANN fulltime in addition to paying other staffers.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:30 am Reply with quote
NamaeX wrote:
Oh grow up! That's as bad as VGCat's take on Editting.

The VGCats comic was a take on 4Kids's editing, not editing in general, and its portrayal was pretty true.

The Seeking Translation comic is more fanboyish, seeing as how Naruto is hardly edited and is getting a decent uncut release.

Tempest wrote:
Naruto and Bleach animated Studio Pierrot.

And InuYasha didn't. Logic failure.
NamaeX

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:07 am Reply with quote
Even then, people associate editting from all companies to be the same as 4Kids.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:08 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Because the 'anime communities' are not the people Viz is concerned with?

Shows like Bleach and Naruto are mass-market properties that Viz hopes will catch on with American teenagers at large. Believe it or not, the 'fan community' - the kids who download fansubs and cosplay at anime conventions - are a very small minority in the demographic Viz is appealing to. They want mass appeal; what the anime community's response to the announcement is is practically negligible. What matters is if Jonny Q. Teenager who occasionally watches Adult Swim and shops at Hot Topic will like Bleach or not. From a marketing standpoint, anyway; obviously fandom is good for a show, but in terms of the bigger picture, success for Bleach does not rest in the hands of the established fanbase.

I've wrote many dissertations in the past on the matter; most of the Bleach fandom in America won't appear until it actually debuts on television. Still, the internet is a good medium for building up hype; I would imagine that the vast majority of Bleach fans will be satisfied with this aquisition and would spread good word-of-mouth publicity for the show's future dub. This is especially true after we saw how well Naruto was handled; sure, people call "Konjiki no Gash Bell" a hack-job, but it's in the same demographic dillemma One Piece falls in, and historical dubs have been butchered to a far greater extent.

Zac wrote:

Also, that comic strip that's being passed around has to be one of the most annoying webcomics I've ever read. It's chock full of the self-righteous, woefully misinformed viewpoints the most obnoxiously vocal fans tend to share. The strip about how "skeptical pessimism" is the "best response" to Cameron's Battle Angel announcement especially boils my sauce. Yeah, there's a "best response" to a movie announcement, and anything at all relating to anime has to defer to the judgements of a fickle and almost impossible to please vocal minority. Ugh.

Well, consider this. Is the author really feel that way about the Bleach aquisition, or is he bringing to light how asinine the "Narutards" of Bleach appear regarding the license? I had the impression of the latter, so I found it funny.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:12 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:

Well, consider this. Is the author really feel that way about the Bleach aquisition, or is he bringing to light how asinine the "Narutards" of Bleach appear regarding the license? I had the impression of the latter, so I found it funny.

I think you're giving the author too much credit. I'm pretty sure its the former.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:34 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Also, that comic strip that's being passed around has to be one of the most annoying webcomics I've ever read. It's chock full of the self-righteous, woefully misinformed viewpoints the most obnoxiously vocal fans tend to share. The strip about how "skeptical pessimism" is the "best response" to Cameron's Battle Angel announcement especially boils my sauce. Yeah, there's a "best response" to a movie announcement, and anything at all relating to anime has to defer to the judgements of a fickle and almost impossible to please vocal minority. Ugh.

Not to mention that it recycles the old "Dark Angel = Battle Angel HUR! HUR!" rip-off conspiracy theory even if I find there not to be all that much similar other than a few cyberpunk clichés about kickass women wearing black leather.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:47 am Reply with quote
kenshinruroni16 wrote:
Skiing vacation? Wow that's impressive. How much do you make off of ANN anyway? I know that you wrote that you're able to fully financial self-sufficient just off the site, and that you hired Zac away from Anime Insider to work for ANN fulltime in addition to paying other staffers.

Ahh, that was misleading.

I live less than 90 minutes from the slopes. It was a "1 day vacation." that cost me about $70

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
I've wrote many dissertations in the past on the matter; most of the Bleach fandom in America won't appear until it actually debuts on television. Still, the internet is a good medium for building up hype;

More importantly, the Internet is a good barometer for how popular a show will be.

If a show builds up a lot of hype (comparatively) on the net during its fansub stages, chances are good (but in no way guaranteed*) that it will do well when it reaches the mainstream. Think of the Fansub/Internet market as a test market. It shows the company what can be done with the main market, but the hype from the test market has virtually no "snowball effect" in creating mainstream hype.

Take a look at Naruto for example. Naruto was (and is) ULTRA popular in the net/sub community. You'd think this would translate into killer sales, but at first it didn't. The first (non-game, non merch) product released to market was the manga, and it did well, but it didn't really take off till the Cartoon Network premiere.

The sudden surge in manga sales that happened when it debuted on CN represent people that discovered the property for the first time. This shows that these people were never affected by whatever hype was generated from the sub/net community.

Same goes for Bleach. The "test market" looks promising, but from a purely financial point of view, it doesn't matter to Viz if they leave that test market to dry. It won't have any significant negative effects on the eventual mass-market release.

In the end, this is the opposite side of the coin tot he popularly held belief that Internet popularity is directly related to sales. In reality, the truth is some mixture of the two. The Internet isn't a closed test market, and many people who are introduced to a property from the sub/net do help to expand the titles fanbase and do buy it when it is released. Taking too long to release a title does cost the company sales from this market. But a company has to weigh the two markets against each other, and for a mass market title (like Naruto) tens of thousands of sub/net fans are a drop in the bucket compared to the larger audience. The company should try to make the most out of both markets, but sometimes what's best for the larger market may mean sacrificing part of the core net/sub market.

In non-financial terms, how Viz feels about those core fans, well I can't speak for them. I'd love to say "hey the companies care about you" and I know that a lot of people at the companies do, but I don't know about the decision makers. I do know that in the past (not necessarily at Viz), decision makers who made decisions based on fans and not the market have lost their jobs because they paid too much attention to fans.

Someone asked why Viz would release Bleach in a comparatively small European market before releasing in the USA. First off, the European market is potentially larger, France alone, a country about a fifth the size of the USA in population, has a manga market of almost the same value. The European anime market isn't that big right now, but one breakout/crossover title could make a lot more money in Europe than North America. It just hasn't happened yet. Secondly (and related) there currently isn't any huge anime in Europe. No competition. Right now Viz has two big competing products out there (Naruto and Inu Yasha), Funimation has Fullmetal Alchemist, and Bandai has Ghost in the Shell. Viz may be waiting for one or two of these titles to wrap up before introducing a competing title, basically they may be waiting for more available air time, and more available cash in anime fans wallets. Similarly, while the above linked article says that Cartoon Network would like to have Bleach, it doesn't mean they want it now. CN may be waiting for one of the other titles to wrap up before airing Bleach, and Viz would be very smart to wait for a CN premiere before announcing DVDs (or any other major network, but CN is the best bet). Three of these are about to wrap up, so ....

*Footnote: Some titles develop a very small, but very loud Internet following. This kind of popularity is not indicative of potential sales success. The people analysing properties and deciding which ones to release need to be able to separate this kind of popularity from the "many people like it" kind. There have been occurrences where people failed to separate the two, and brought "very popular" titles to market, titles that subsequently failed disastrously.

-t
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:52 pm Reply with quote
NamaeX wrote:
Even then, people associate editting from all companies to be the same as 4Kids.

If you're including the VGCats comic in that, said comic explicitly stated it was parodying 4Kids editing.
LilyChan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:38 pm Reply with quote
If they're waiting until anime fans have money in their pockets, chances are they're going to have to take a glance at anime conventions.

I hope they do license it. I don't like Naruto all that much and even I enjoyed the American dub!

I've always been led to believe "Viz licensed manga. Viz licensed anime." Or at least a branch of Viz Media. Isn't 4Kids a branch off of Viz Media?

In any case I hope, Sho Pro edits it. I think they did a very good job! Plus FMA's ending here in a couple weeks or so, so Viz better act fast. ;D
TakinawaTonfa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Patmos wrote:
http://www.seekingtranslation.com/main.php?comicItem=79

comic related to Bleach being liscenced

What the hell? Now people are just being babies, and there IS NOT ANYTHING WRONG WITH THE NARUTO DUB!
LilyChan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:44 pm Reply with quote
TakinawaTonfa wrote:
Patmos wrote:

What the hell? Now people are just being babies, and there IS NOT ANYTHING WRONG WITH THE NARUTO DUB!

I think they're complaining to complain. Or because they think it makes them "cuu lolz". Rolling Eyes
Ataru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Patmos wrote:

I'm sure when Bleach comes over, it'll gets uncut DVD. Outside of blood, there's nothing really to edit. I didn't see alot beer drinking and chain smokers in the series. But yeah, the dub is fine. Not the greatest, but certainly not the wrost. The the last time I check, Naruto doesn't say "Believe it." every time he speaks. I guess that's what we get in the age of 10 hours or less fansubs. Rolling Eyes The last time I checked, Viz Media ≠ 4Kids.

EDIT: The last time...

Last edited by Ataru on Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
TakinawaTonfa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
Patmos wrote:

I'm sure when Bleach comes over, it'll gets uncut DVD.

Considering that the demographic has clearly been stated for a teenaged audience (I'm assuming above the age of 13) and there were talks of the show going on Adult Swim, I would'nt doubt it for a second.

Quote:
The the last time I check, Naruto doesn't say "Believe it." every time he speaks. I guess that's what we get in the age of 10 hours or less fansubs. Rolling Eyes

Actually, Naruto's "Believe it!" catchphrase is Viz's style of translating "dattebayo" which is always uttered by the Japanese Naruto.

From what I've heard, "dattebayo" is just a colloquial expression which dosen't have any real meaning in Japanese. Something along the lines of "dont'cha know?" or something like that. I've also heard that it annoyed alot of the Japanese fans of the show, but then again, one of Naruto's character traits itself is to be annoying.

Quote:
The time I checked, Viz Media ≠ 4Kids.

And yet, there are people who claim that they're just as bad, if not, WORSE than 4Kids. Shame on them! Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7