• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bleach Licensed ?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:25 am Reply with quote
Nice list. I'd suggest try making one for if they use CA groups like Studiopolis or Bang Zoom, etc. That's the other option.

I just had this weird vibe that Crispin Freeman could play Ichigo. Confused *shudder*
NamaeX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:48 am Reply with quote
Patmos wrote:
http://www.seekingtranslation.com/main.php?comicItem=79

comic related to Bleach being liscenced

Oh grow up! That's as bad as VGCat's take on Editting.
NamaeX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:56 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Nice list. I'd suggest try making one for if they use CA groups like Studiopolis or Bang Zoom, etc. That's the other option.

I just had this weird vibe that Crispin Freeman could play Ichigo. Confused *shudder*

In my old list, I had...

Ichigo: Chris Patton or Normed Kaerf
Sadou (Chad): Crispin Freeman
Urahara Kisuke: Steven Jay Blum
Human-form Yoruichi: Luci Christian
Jidanbou: Chris Sabat
Hitsugaya: Brianne Siddall
Kurotsuchi Mayuri: Charles Adler
Tatsuki: Kasey Buckley

EDIT: Here's my old list. I've made cuts to my list because they had Ocean Group actors.

Ichigo

Voice Actor: Chris Patton
Cartoon: Full Metal Panic! Fumoffu!
Character: Sagara Sousuke

Voice Actor: Nomed Kaerf
Cartoon: Full Metal Panic! Fumoffu!
Character: Issei Tsubaki

Rukia

Voice Actor: Jennifer Hale
Cartoon: Totally Spies!
Character: Sam

Voice Actor: Tara Strong
Cartoon: Teen Titans or Fillmore!
Character: Raven or Ingrid Third

Voice Actor: Kari Wahlgreen
Anime: Witch Hunter Robin
Character: Robin Sena

Chad

Voice Actor: Crispin Freeman
Cartoon: Witch Hunter Robin
Character: Amon

Ishida

Voice Actor: Dave Wittenburg
Cartoon: .hack//SIGN | Witch Hunter Robin
Character: Sora | Michael Lee

Tatsuki

Voice Actor: Kasey Buckley
Cartoon: Yu Yu Hakusho
Character: Shizuru

Urahara

Voice Actor: Steve J. Blum
Cartoon: Cowboy Bebop
Character: Spike Spiegel

Jidanbou

Voice Actor: Chris R. Sabat
Cartoon: Yu Yu Hakusho
Character: Kuwabara

Yoruichi Shihouin

Voice Actor: Luci Christian
Cartoon: Full Metal Panic!
Character: Chidori Kaname

Hitsugaya

Voice Actor: Brianna Siddall
Cartoon: .hack//SIGN
Character: Tsukasa

Kurotsuchi Mayuri

Voice Actor: Charles Adler
Cartoon: Cow and Chicken/Aladdin
Character: Cow/Mechanikles

1. Ichigo
- Chris Patton
- Nomed Kaerf

2. Rukia
- Jennifer Hale
- Tara Strong
- Kari Wahlgreen

3. Chad
- Crispin Freeman

4. Ishida
- Dave Wittenburg

5. Tatsuki
- Kasey Buckley

6. Urahara
- Steve Blum

7. Jidanbou
- Chris Sabat

8. Yoruichi Shihouin
- Luci Christian

9. Hitsugaya
- Brianna Siddall

Kurotsuchi Mayuri
- Charles Adler

Last edited by NamaeX on Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:48 pm; edited 7 times in total
Jerseymilk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:58 am Reply with quote
NamaeX wrote:
Patmos wrote:

I agree. I think fans nowadays really need to go back in time to when anime was less commonplace here and see what real "butchering" of a show is. Or at least try and think of One Piece everytime they start wanting to whine Rolling Eyes
NamaeX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Jerseymilk wrote:
NamaeX wrote:
Patmos wrote:

I agree. I think fans nowadays really need to go back in time to when anime was less commonplace here and see what real "butchering" of a show is. Rolling Eyes

Yep, big blocks of yellow text covering a bit of the bottom of the screen.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Patmos wrote:

Wow, that's a seriously annoying comic.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I just wanted to clear this up because posters are correcting me (thanks BTW). This was in the newest "Subs vs. Dubs" thread (OH THE INSANITY!) and I wanted to copy my thought here. Slightly off-topic but if anyone could lend a thought . . .

Kouji wrote:
For the record, I tolerated Nelvavna's Cardcaptors and have the OP lyrics memorized Rolling Eyes
Quote:
For the record, 4Kids did not dub Escaflowne. Escaflowne was dubbed by Bandai who produced an uncut dub first and then let Fox Kids edit it to their preferences . . .

Quote:
waitaminute. Shocked

I had assumed that since Fox Kids had it that 4Kids did it . . . why the heck did they do that? Why do these companies let their products get hacked by not signing a contract that lets them have some consulting control of a dub once it hits the US?

My point being is if 4Kids is the only licensor availiable but ADV/FUNi/someone says they'll do it in a year or two, how about do the "controversial" thing and NOT GIVE IT TO 4Kids!! You better believe Al Kahn would order changes to the editing procedure once the series stop lining up for his company.

I still can't believe 4Kids offices are 5 blocks away from my school. I gotta get a interview request! Wink
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Patmos wrote:

Wow, that's a seriously annoying comic.

Yeah, it is. If it goes on TV of course it will be edited, but it shouldn't be edited that much. And Viz has done a fine job on Naruto. The DVDs will surely be released uncut (eventually, at least).

While Viz hasn't announced Bleach for the U.S. yet, it seems pretty unlikely that it will go to anyone else. I would prefer to see FUNI get it, but I really don't mind Viz getting it. I just hope they don't go the Naruto route for the DVD release.
GreatSaiyaman777

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:53 pm Reply with quote
http://www.seekingtranslation.com/main.php?comicItem=78

Heh heh, surprised noone noticed this one yet.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this topic got pretty comical. I knew "saveonepiece" would start a riot over Viz aquiring Bleach, but such blatant rejection of this alleged aquisition was quite funny.

Interesting that the news still hasn't been confirmed yet. Why bother to take something as large as Bleach and just leave the Anime communities hanging on reasonable doubt?
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:16 pm Reply with quote
AuraShadow wrote:
SaveOnePiece wrote:
AuraShadow wrote:
SaveOnePiece wrote:
BLEACH is FUNimation's answer to the end of Fullmetal Alchemist.

Though BLEACH should NEVER be dubbed,here are the best fits for those who try:

Ichigo-Justin Cook
Chad-Chris Sabat
Orihime-Lia Sergant
Tatsuki-Colleen Clinkenbeard
Uryu-Eric Vale
Rukia-Kari Walgren
Kisuke-Steven Blum
Kon-Jerry Jewel
Yuzu-Ellen Arden
Karin-Barbara Goodson
Isshin-Sonny Strait
Byakuya-Dameon Clarke
Renji-Guy that plays Greed on FMA

There's one GIGANTIC problem with your drean castlist. Some of those people don't even WORK for Funimation. Generally, if you don't live in the same area (and in this case the same state) You don't work at other studios. The chances of Steve Blum being in anything funimation are slim to none. Most of the time if Funi has something with the cast list being from cali it was recorded in cali (Example: Haru+Guu That was recored at Bangzoom NOT here) It takes alot of money and time for a voice actor to fly here out of state even for a minor character, definatly not for a major one. Some other cali vas were in FMA but they have very minor roles. The only major character played by someone out of state was Travis Willingham who played Roy. Other than that, most people are local weither they be from here in Dallas, or with ADV in Houston. I love Bleach just as much as the next person but you need to chill, and next time you want to make a dream castlist get your facts about the VA industry right.

Sean Schemmel lives in New York (plays Son Goku)
Dameon Clarke lives in California (plays George on Case Closed)
Vic Mignogna lives in Houston (plays Edward Elric)
Luci Christian lives in Houston (plays many BG voices)
Monica Rial lives in Houston (plays Amy on Case Closed)
Michael Sinterniklas lives in New York (plays Ishbalan kid on FMA

You live in ownedsville (plays Aura Shadow on ANN)

Apparently you don't read what people write very well. I said
Quote:
Other than that, most people are local weither they be from here in Dallas, or with ADV in Houston.
3 out of those 5 people LIVE IN HOUSTON. And the other 2 what have they funi lately, MINOR ROLES again, what I said
Quote:
It takes alot of money and time for a voice actor to fly here out of state even for a minor character, definatly not for a major one.
Dragonball was YEARS ago and that was Seans only major role for Funi, he appears to now be a director in California now. And Michael has done very few Funi stuff, and what he was done, were again, minor roles. Dameon Clarke, based upon his roles might have just moved to Cali (that's if that information is even correct) If you have the right connections you can get some kind of role in cali very quickly and his resume on ANN doesn't refect him even being in cali. (unless what he did was Union which means you have to join SAG and that's alot of money). Seriously, don't challange me in this field since this is the profession I'm workig towards. lol

Yeah, I guess Mike McFarland saying that Dameon Clarke moved to Cali on the commentary track of FMA dvd 6 means nothing............................ Laughing I mean...he only worked with him for about 6 years.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:

Interesting that the news still hasn't been confirmed yet. Why bother to take something as large as Bleach and just leave the Anime communities hanging on reasonable doubt?

Because the 'anime communities' are not the people Viz is concerned with?

Shows like Bleach and Naruto are mass-market properties that Viz hopes will catch on with American teenagers at large. Believe it or not, the 'fan community' - the kids who download fansubs and cosplay at anime conventions - are a very small minority in the demographic Viz is appealing to. They want mass appeal; what the anime community's response to the announcement is is practically negligible. What matters is if Jonny Q. Teenager who occasionally watches Adult Swim and shops at Hot Topic will like Bleach or not. From a marketing standpoint, anyway; obviously fandom is good for a show, but in terms of the bigger picture, success for Bleach does not rest in the hands of the established fanbase.

Also, that comic strip that's being passed around has to be one of the most annoying webcomics I've ever read. It's chock full of the self-righteous, woefully misinformed viewpoints the most obnoxiously vocal fans tend to share. The strip about how "skeptical pessimism" is the "best response" to Cameron's Battle Angel announcement especially boils my sauce. Yeah, there's a "best response" to a movie announcement, and anything at all relating to anime has to defer to the judgements of a fickle and almost impossible to please vocal minority. Ugh.
flchick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:01 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
TheHTRO wrote:
I think it might be fake

Oh, I have no suspision that it is fake. C21 is a very reliable and trustworthy news outlet.

I just suspect that it only applies to Europe. C21 is not focussed on the North American market.

-t

Take a brief tour of the website and you will see it covers N. American news too.

You also might want to post this news article on your site from Newsarama : http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=62156

Interview with Cartoon Network VP Terry Kalagain

Here is a quote of her exact words :
" Bleach is great. The same people who do Naruto and
Inu Yasha make it.

It’s more of an Adult Swim show. It’s a bit more complex and slower, and it builds from one episode to the next. "

I think that speaks load and clear

That article is more news worthy of an anime site than just copying AOD posts about manga releases
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:12 pm Reply with quote
flchick wrote:
Take a brief tour of the website and you will see it covers N. American news too.

Tempest is quite aware that the site covers North America. He was saying that because it covers other places around the world, it might have been reporting on some other market.

The link you provided however, does seem to lend credence to the idea that C21 was talking about North America after all.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:21 pm Reply with quote
flchick wrote:

All I said was that it doesn't focus on North America. The people quoted in that article are a European rep, and an international licensing VP. Hardly suggestive of a North American license.

Quote:

" Bleach is great. The same people who do Naruto and
Inu Yasha make it.

Naruto and Bleach animated Studio Pierrot.

Quote:
That article is more news worthy of an anime site than just copying AOD posts about manga releases

Sorry, both sites use the same sources for their info, but for the record, ANN posted some of the releases first. Not trying to say "we were first therefore we were better" but rather "we were first so we obviously didn't copy them."

Quote:
I think that speaks load and clear

I don't. The only thing that will make it clear is an annoucement, its appearance in a TV broadcast schedule, a DVD solicit, or solid inside info.

So far all we have is a ton of conjecture based on statements that that may or may not have anything to do with the American market.

Everyone knows that Viz is most likely to release Bleach, I'm not denying that (Although I doubt "everyone" understands what is involved in Viz "licensing" this title). The title is theirs to claim or give away, and I doubt they'll give it away.

But making sure the news I report is correct, is much more important that being the first to report it. I'd much rather be right last, than wrong first.

I want to wrap this up as much as you do, and as soon as possible. I was on vacation yesterday skiing, and I figure I called Viz about 10+ times from the ski hill. At the time their PR people couldn't comment on it, and needed to verify with execs about what the statements were in reference to. Unfortunately said execs were in transit to (or from?) a meeting today, so I won't get an answer till Monday. Trust me, the second I know that Bleach is being prepared for US release or broadcast, it will be posted on ANN.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7