• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bleach Licensed ?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Strange; this article has been up for 5 hours and no one's proclaimed the end of the world yet.

All Viz news should be taken with a grain of salt because in order to prove that they "license" it, they need to do something with it. Viz already has the rights to a boatload of stuff, Bleach included.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't call it the "end of the world" if Viz licenses Bleach for North America. For all we know, it's licensed, but not announced yet. In fact, I think that it would be great if Viz did license it for North America. I don't think that it makes sense to license it for Europe and not for North America, since we are similar cultures. It already has an established fanbase in North America and marketing it here should be a piece of cake.

An "End of the World" scenario would be if 4Kids licensed Bleach.
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:40 pm Reply with quote
From what I've heard from friends in the UK, Bleach is one of *the* popular anime series over in Europe anime fandom right now. Possibly even moreso than it is here. So it's quite possible that the anime might get a release there sooner, simply because Europe doesn't have all the big companies putting out tons of licenses all year as in the US.

That said, if Shueisha and the companies behind the anime version are smart, they'll probably give the North American license to *someone* before the year is out. Why? Because the fandom is still increasing, and if they catch it at the right moment it'll only continue to get bigger, while waiting too long will mean that the fans following the Japanese version will start tapering off. Think like how the FMA fandom is- it was already big before the series was licensed, and still continues to gain popularity thanks to the dub coming out while the fansub fans were still hyped for the series. Getting that nice overlap there. I'd daresay Funi is aiming for something similar with Tsubasa, and Viz with Naruto, and so on.

The question is, though, what company that Shueisha feels can handle the series properly and distribute it in the most efficient/money making manner. Which may or may not be Viz. If Shueisha decides that Viz wouldn't be the most ideal venue for promoting the series, then the license could go elsewhere. It's all about the big money-making and political game between the anime companies...
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Viz Media aquiring Bleach was the most likely scenario; I can't understand why people would be surprised. As I've said before, the aquisition of ShoPro appeared to be a move solely to develop a competent studio that could distribute the teen oriented Shounen Anime in America; relabeling manga with the "Viz Media" brand is merely a technicality.

All in all, this looks to be a good move for this still fledgeling corporation; Viz will handle the Adult Swim market with a suitable successor to FMA, and, pooled with Inu-Yasha, skyrocket Adult Swim attendance even more than right now (in which the viewing demographic for the intended audience, 18-25 year old males, is at a zenith).

I feel glad for Tite Kubo, too; a Naruto-ish surge of popularity for Bleach will give him a suitable income. In comparison to his contemporaries, he's still dirt poor.

On the other hand, I feel bad for Eiichiro Oda; though One Piece is Japan's top dog, 4Kids killed its potential and it'll fall by the wayside if Bleach debuts this Fall. Such a pity, really.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:12 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
I wouldn't call it the "end of the world" if Viz licenses Bleach for North America. For all we know, it's licensed, but not announced yet. In fact, I think that it would be great if Viz did license it for North America. I don't think that it makes sense to license it for Europe and not for North America, since we are similar cultures. It already has an established fanbase in North America and marketing it here should be a piece of cake.

You missed my point. Normally, members of this board get in a tizzy when one of their beloved animes are taken off the fansub market. They often complain about how awful it's going to be and how the dub'll be awful, etc etc etc, even though they're just blowing hot air because what Viz does won't change their spending habits on the series.

And I think now the only way 4Kids can touch Bleach is if it's for network TV distribution, since they're probably "your" best bet for getting in prime slots.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:

You missed my point. Normally, members of this board get in a tizzy when one of their beloved animes are taken off the fansub market. They often complain about how awful it's going to be and how the dub'll be awful, etc etc etc, even though they're just blowing hot air because what Viz does won't change their spending habits on the series.

And I think now the only way 4Kids can touch Bleach is if it's for network TV distribution, since they're probably "your" best bet for getting in prime slots.

Oh no, I knew what you were getting at. I just didn't think that it counts as the "end of the world" considering how popular this title is as a fansub. I doubt that this title will disappear as a fansub even when it is licensed.

Besides, Viz would only need to license it and put in on Adult Swim. Since I normally don't watch dubbed anime, my concern is for the Region 1 uncut DVD release and not a TV release.
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Have you ever seen BLEACH? It is in no way possible for Kahn and his minions to make it suitable for the young children they cater to on Saturday mornings.

BLEACH will be in the hands of FUNimation this summer!

Do you really wanna let Viz get Yuri Lowenthal to play Ichigo?
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Strange; this article has been up for 5 hours and no one's proclaimed the end of the world yet.

SaveOnePiece wrote:
Have you ever seen BLEACH? It is in no way possible for Kahn and his minions to make it suitable for the young children they cater to on Saturday mornings.

You jinxed it Anime hyper!
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:29 pm Reply with quote
AuraShadow wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:

SaveOnePiece wrote:

You jinxed it Anime hyper!

Sorry, but you know they'd do it.

They'd also use the exact same main cast from Naruto and Kojiki No Gash Bell.
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:36 pm Reply with quote
flchick wrote:
You need to correct the initial statement on the front page.

The first person quoted in the article is- The VP of Viz Media US, John Easum
You only state that it quotes- Mr. Marks

Mr. Easum is the only one in the article that takes about the anime. While, Mr. Marks makes marketing statements.

Another huge error on your part is that you do not even quote the title of the article correctly: Japanese animé and manga licensor Viz Media has acquired its first title aimed at the older teen and young adult demo.
I think it does say Viz Media NOT Viz Media BV

*shakes flchick's hand*

There's always a chance that the person who wrote the article had their facts wrong or mixed up. If that's the case, though, then people who are paying to access that news site should demand at least some of their money back.

If we are to take the article itself at face value, then it should be 100% clear to anyone that Viz Media, the North American branch, does indeed have North American distribution rights to the Bleach anime.[/i]
SK DarkDragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:38 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

That's hilarious. Anime hyper Yeah, I think Bleach being licensed would be a good thing, especially if they release uncut DVDs. Nothing to complain about there. I'm interested to see what kind of dub cast they'll get, too.
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:39 pm Reply with quote
BLEACH is FUNimation's answer to the end of Fullmetal Alchemist.

Though BLEACH should NEVER be dubbed,here are the best fits for those who try:

Ichigo-Justin Cook
Chad-Chris Sabat
Orihime-Lia Sergant
Tatsuki-Colleen Clinkenbeard
Uryu-Eric Vale
Rukia-Kari Walgren
Kisuke-Steven Blum
Kon-Jerry Jewel
Yuzu-Ellen Arden
Karin-Barbara Goodson
Isshin-Sonny Strait
Byakuya-Dameon Clarke
Renji-Guy that plays Greed on FMA

Last edited by SaveOnePiece on Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:46 pm Reply with quote
SaveOnePiece wrote:

I can't believe people are still throwing this around when it's all but announced that Viz will be handling the property in the US. People will cling to bizarre misconceptions for far longer than I'd ever thought.
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
SaveOnePiece wrote:

I can't believe people are still throwing this around when it's all but announced that Viz will be handling the property in the US. People will cling to bizarre misconceptions for far longer than I'd ever thought.

I don't really mind Viz other than.........Rock............Lee. Crying or Very sad
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:07 pm Reply with quote
SaveOnePiece wrote:

It'll be funny if Lowenthal gets cast as Ishida. Seeing as how he and Sasuke have the same Japanese VA, that would be a good casting decision...at least for those of us who like Lowenthal as Sasuke.

I'm willing to bet Viz Media has Bleach for US distribution, but I'll but my tongue until it's officially announced before I start flinging around I-told-you-so's.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7