• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
So about yuyu hakusho....

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:01 pm Reply with quote
should i watch the movie first? or the series? also is there alot a fighting? thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Asuka

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:05 pm Reply with quote
anime#311

It's pretty much your standard shounen action series. It revolves just about entirely around fighting.

I haven't seen the movie, but from the summary listed here on ANN it looks like it can be watched any time after the arc where Genkai is introduced. Someone else can probably pinpoint where you should watch it.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:17 pm Reply with quote
The first movie I heard wasn't worth anything really. Or OVA, whatever it is. The second is probably worth checking out. Of course, it'll have stuff you won't understand if you don't view the show beforehand.

As Asuka already said, it's a pretty basic fighting etc anime. The animation is a bit older, like dbz. I like the longer fighting anime; Bleach, Naruto, Kenshin etc. Yu Yu Hakusho was pretty good. Characters all have their own special techniques and talents. I watched it dubbed(dvds, not editted) and I thought Yusuke, the main character, had an awesome voice actor. I loved a lot of the fights and thought the series was pretty funny when it tried to be as well. Overall, if you're into the long fighting anime, this is definitely something you should check out.
ChrisC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:42 pm Reply with quote
eh how long? so am guessin i should watch the movie after the series. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
opaquescum

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I am not sure if you have actually watched the show or not. If you have say on cartoon network then you probabally can watch the movies.

I personally thought the show was okay its just the old cliche. So you can probabally get by watching just one story arc say the beasts of maze castle or the dark tourtament arc, and you will be pretty good.

The series is very much like dragonball Z. There is not deep subplot or character evolution. The standard rinse wash repeat. Actually I felt the series had a pretty good start and then it kind of settled into mediocrity.

Personally I would not recommend the whole series it just seems to get played into the ground after awhile. A series that probabally could have been real good if it got crammed into like a 26 episode deal but since its not later on it just drags.

You know how dragonball Z had those episodes where a character gritted their teeth for 20 minutes then it ended in a cliffer which was resolved 3 minutes into the next episode then 20 more minutes of teeth gritting. Quite frankly I would hate to spend money on alot of that.

Buy a couple early arcs they are pretty good then watch the movies. Saves you some money.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:45 pm Reply with quote
i only like the second half(more like 2/3) of the series. it's not like dbz -- not as much talking --it's more like bleach and naruto. if you like shounen anime, watch it. remember this serier was made in the ealry 90's more than 10 years old, so the art is not that good, but at that time it was very popular. i think you can watch the movies at anytime.
Kouji

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure exactly what point of the series the movies take place in, but both films can be watched at any point as long as you have a basic understanding of the plot and who all the main characters are, so you should at least have seen up to the end of the first season before you watch the movies. And Yu Yu Hakusho is a standard Shounen Jump anime, so it's obviously going to contain a lot of action in it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:10 pm Reply with quote
ChrisC wrote:
should i watch the movie first? or the series? also is there alot a fighting? thanks
Which movie?
YYH Movie 1 really sucked at the plot of extremely childish. And the plot was something out of DBZ. I am not sure where it take place in the series. Nor do I really care much for it.

Movie 2 Poltergiest Report kicked ass. I saw this a long time before watching the series. It was really good as his gave you a taste on the series and the all the main characters.
Poltergiest Report is set after the TV series. However as long as you have some basic knowledge of YYH, then you really will not have problem in watching it.

YYH Movie 2 Poltergiest Report is actually quite good on it's one. I enjoy it more the YYH TV Series.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I saw both movies after seeing only a few episodes of the series, and Poltergeist Report was AWESOME (at the time at least).

If you want to remain "spoiler free" though, you'd be best off watching the first movie (if at all) after the "genkai" arc of the show (around ep 20 or so I think?). The Poltergeist report movie should be watched after the Dark Tournament at least, which would be around episode 70 or so, but really the only spoilers are in terms of powers and stuff, so you should be fine after watching a few episode of the show.

If you start with the tv series, it should be noted that there is a significant jump in the show after a few episodes. The first few are slower paced and more humor oriented, but once he becomes a "spirit detective" the show takes on a more shonen action series feel, similar to Flame of Recca (which is in many ways a rip-off of Yu Yu), or Naruto.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1