• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Disappointed that Luffy can't get hurt?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
x_Hisoka_x

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I just started watching One Piece and I have to say it's an awesome show. I tryed watching the dub but I couldn't stand it. Even though Luffy is rubber and stuff, it kinda takes something away from the show because he can't get hurt in my opinion. I mean, you don't have to worry about him losing a fight. Like when (ep 3 spoiler) spoiler[Luffy fought Morgan. He hit luffy in the head with that huge axe and nothing happened at all. Also, the Marines put a good 10 bullets into just to have them bounce back.] Does anyone else feel this way or is it just me?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Read the Alabasta arc when it comes out and then tell me that again, or read the Japanese version. When I read the beginning at first, I totally thought the same thing.
x_Hisoka_x

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Well, I don't read the manga. I'm only on episode 4. Does that arc happen to be in the show and if it is what episode does it start?
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Unlike other recent big titles, Naruto and Bleach, Luffy isn't a weakling at the beginning of the story. Most of the opponents in East Blue aren't any problem, even the "tough" ones.

My suggestion, don't worry about such trivialities and just enjoy the ride. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Arabasta starts on episode 92. Every main story arc in the manga has been animated, but the manga is much, much better.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I admit, I don't watch One Piece, but this idea of "the hero always wins" is pretty similar to other shounen anime like Naruto and Bleach, where Naruto and Ichigo might get pretty beat up during a fight, but you know they're always going to get some new super ability/technique/power-up and beat the enemy. Even if they "lose" a fight (like Ichigo does in spoiler[episode 17] of Bleach), they'll walk away, get stronger, and beat their opponent next time. So, if this pattern does appear in One Piece, that doesn't make it any worse than the other big-time action series.
ksuno1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Luffy gets hurt ;P

(also, on an unrelated note, glad to see someone else from Kansas posting!) Very Happy
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Luffy's been soundly defeated a few times in the show. He dusts himself off and continues on though. As to his "invulnerability", it is limited. He can be cut (which is why he avoids swords as best be can), he can be pierced by sharp objects (such as Don Krieg's bullets), but not by dull objects like musket balls, he can be burned, and he can take blunt trama, but he's resistant to it, and it seems if he's prepared he can nullify it almost completely (he has been hurt by blunt attacks before, punches and stuff, especially to the head).

Beyond the resistance his gum gum nature provides, he's the typical anime hero, like Naruto, Yuusuke, Zoro, Gon, Jack Bauer, etc., so he takes damage, but tends to survive, tends to heal quickly from injury, and tends to fight one with wounds that would kill any normal person.

BTW, don't pay attention to the 4Kids dub, it tends to edit all most, if not all of the injuries he sustains (for example in the Japanese version Krieg's darts left him looking like a porcupine, while in the dub I believe they were suction darts or something lame like that).
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:49 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
BTW, don't pay attention to the 4Kids dub, it tends to edit all most, if not all of the injuries he sustains (for example in the Japanese version Krieg's darts left him looking like a porcupine, while in the dub I believe they were suction darts or something lame like that).

Suction darts tipped with poison, actually. Because they needed to explain why Luffy was pulling them out so quickly or something... >_>

(and I don't even watch One Piece, that just happens to be the one clip a friend of mine who's a fan sent me to show me how bad the editing was)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1