• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Howls Moving Castle - SHAFTED

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Well, it seems that claymation magically beat anime this year at the Oscars as the movie lost to Wallace and Gromit. Hell is freezing over as we speak...

Edit:: Not sure where to put this... sorry.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Why would Hell freeze over?

Nick Park has three Oscars already while Miyazaki only has one. Nick Park was the one everyone without the anime blinders on expected to win, and he was the one who won. Hell is still nice and toasty.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
camelot187757

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Yes it truly indeed got cheated. Well we can always fall back on Spirted Away. But claymation and british people beat high end technical graphics and excellent dialouge. Did you see the cornballs that acepted the thing? They had to br the corniest guys to ever butt-rape an excellently well executed movie. Damm you Oscars. Damm you Pat Robertson.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I like Miyazaki as much as anyone but Howl's was by far his weakest film to date. Visually enchanting sure, but the story was seriously lacking. If it was up to me the best animated feature of the year was Place Promised, shame it didn't even make the cut.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:51 pm Reply with quote
ADV didn't even submit The Place Promised in our Early Days, so whether or not it should have made the cut is moot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pleroma

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, wonder why, it would be great publicity for them.
milcor1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Wow some of you people are obviously anime dillusioned fans. Wallace and Gromit was hands down the better movie than Howl's Moving Castle. Maybe you should get your heads out of Miyazaki's ass before you make yourselves look anymore foolish.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to break it to you bias folks out there but Howl's lost because it simply wasn't the best. Being anime doesn't automatically make something better or superior and being claymation doesn't always make something horrid as much as some fans would love to believe otherwise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
camelot187757

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:32 pm Reply with quote
You want to know whats more important than Howl's Losing...

3 6 Mafia just won for "Its Hard out Here for a Pimp". And yes they beat a country-singing white woman with 36DDs.

It's so beautiful.... Crying or Very sad

I mean a friggin Oscar??

An Oscar!!!!!!!

Now all I'm waiting for is for Terrance Howard to win Best Male and I can finally go to bed.
Anthony P

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Is it really that big of a deal? I'd venture to say that a good number of the members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences that voted for the awards hadn't even seen any of the films in the animation category; and I really bet very few of them had seen Howl's Moving Castle. The Oscars are overrated, anyways.
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:54 pm Reply with quote
camelot187757 wrote:
You want to know whats more important than Howl's Losing...

3 6 Mafia just won for "Its Hard out Here for a Pimp". And yes they beat a country-singing white woman with 36DDs.

It's so beautiful.... Crying or Very sad

I mean a friggin Oscar??

An Oscar!!!!!!!

Now all I'm waiting for is for Terrance Howard to win Best Male and I can finally go to bed.

That's not really surprising given that Eminem won for his song in 8 Mile.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Dolly Parton is a excellent songwriter but I didn't particuarly think the song they nominated her for was the best thing she'd ever written after hearing it. I'd actually have been surprised if she'd have won even though I was also surprised that 3 6 Mafia won. However, I did think the 3 6 Mafia song was good, so I'm not disappointed in it winning.

As to Howl's not winning, well it wasn't a huge surprise. Wallace and Gromit have been winning animation awards left, right, and upside down all season, most importantly the Annie. Seeing the Annie voters are pretty much the Oscar voters it was pretty much a lock that Wallace and Gromit were going to take home the prize. I'm just glad Howl's and Corpes Bride got nominated because I feel they both deserved it Smile.
bReAkDoWn^RT

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:58 pm Reply with quote
There were not many "good" animated films this past year. But regardless, congrats to Wallace and Gromit project and the other nominations.Hopefully a lot more come out this year.
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But claymation and british people beat high end technical graphics and excellent dialouge

Well we Brit's are a rather talented bunch.

I can't believe anyone is actually surprised Wallace and Gromit won, it was obvious it would and it deserved to as well. Howl's Moving Castle was decent but it was hardly one of Miyazaki's finest offerings. The three Wallace and Gromit shorts won Oscars so it was obvious that the first full length movie would as well. Also what's wrong with claymation, the amount of time and effort that would have to be put into making a movie like Wallace and Gromit is staggering.

In any case I'm just glad Philip Seymour Hoffman has finally been given the recognition he deserves.
DaZ616

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:16 am Reply with quote
i can only think of one word to describes the outcome

Shame

-DaZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3